Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to mogamer

MVM

to mogamer

Re: Sue WB?

Redbox can make a quiet arrangement with Walmart, for example, to buy 2x the number of copies they'd normally buy for movies that Redbox specifies. The movie studios may threaten to cancel sales to Walmart, but they won't.

Why does Walmart care if a Redbox employee buys (40) copies of the same movie for $16.99 or (40) individuals buy a single copy for $16.99. In fact, Walmart probably prefers the BULK sale !
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Exactly. There is absolutely no way that a studio would want to get into an arms race with a major retailer. Sure, they could withhold a popular title, but the retailer could then retaliate by pulling the studio's entire catalog from the shelves. In the end, both would lose money, but the retailer would absorb the loss better since it sells many other products and can simply reallocate that shelf space to something else. The studio, OTOH, has just lost a major distributor of the only product they make.

The movie studios, record labels, and television programmers seem to think that they can continue to maximize their profit with no repercussions and that people will pay whatever is demanded of them. I think they're in for a rude awakening.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Exactly. No studio would pick a fight with Walmart or Amazon. The studio would see huge losses if their entire catalog where pulled from the tens of thousands of walmarts world wide.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

And the reason I mentioned Walmart was that in the past, I've read that Redbox primarily used them for stocking their kiosks.

Regarding Amazon, buy.com, etc, if you buy a new release, i.e. pre-order it, do you get it on release day ? That means they'd have to ship it earlier obviously but then you're depending on the carrier to be "on time".

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515

Premium Member

said by Hall:

And the reason I mentioned Walmart was that in the past, I've read that RedBox primarily used them for stocking their kiosks.

So wait, RedBox has been purchasing them in the retail all along instead of using these "Rental Only" copies provided by studios?
said by Hall:

Regarding Amazon, buy.com, etc, if you buy a new release, i.e. pre-order it, do you get it on release day? That means they'd have to ship it earlier obviously but then you're depending on the carrier to be "on time".

As long as the carrier guarantees that it will be delivered on a given date, it will be. The stuff usually arrives at the local hub a few days before the scheduled delivery date just to make sure that they don't miss the deadline and then sits there as the carrier has a contractual obligation with shipper not to deliver it earlier. When I ordered my numerous iPhones, according to tracking info, they usually got to my local hub a day or two before, but UPS/FedEx would not deliver or allow them to be picked up locally before the release date as Apple lawyers would have a field day with them if they did.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Pirate515:

As long as the carrier guarantees that it will be delivered on a given date, it will be. The stuff usually arrives at the local hub a few days before the scheduled delivery date just to make sure that they don't miss the deadline and then sits there as the carrier has a contractual obligation with shipper not to deliver it earlier.

13+ years ago when I worked for a period at Blockbuster, we'd usually receive new releases a week early from our distribution centers. For MAJOR new releases, it could be even earlier. I remember when Titanic came out we had a ton of boxes for pre-orders and just our initial retail supply (not including rentals) a month early.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to Pirate515

MVM

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:

So wait, RedBox has been purchasing them in the retail all along instead of using these "Rental Only" copies provided by studios?

This discussion only centers around movies that the studios may be delaying from Redbox.