buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

2 edits
reply to 45612019

Re: Yeah right.

Problem with buying all the time is the fact that theses studios are making $h!t ( pardon my French) movies and want to get paid top dollar for it. Really I cant think of anyone who want to pay $20 a pop for a movie ever time a new release comes out. Renting actually helps the buying practice. Simply have you ever said, "I heard that movie was good but do I really want to spend $20 on it?" Many of us have, And what happens you end up saying.. "let me rent that for $1 from that darn box and if I like it that much Ill purchase it retail with the extras afterwards". However for the sake of argument from a third party not knowing a thing about the underground piracy world ( cough,cough) Take that rented DVD and with a few clicks of a mouse and some crafty software you can purchase online Rip that Box rented movie to DIVX format!

Not to mention Blockbuster said to hell with this deal a month ago and is purchasing there dvds retail so there available day one so why would redbox wait 56 days? that would surely put them out of business!
»www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r ··· s-280467

I can agree with warner bro. that a wait time is acceptable business practice, however there wait time is NOT Acceptable by far. DVDS get released on Tuesdays so allow for the first week/weekend to pass by to generate DVD sales then the following monday ( 6 days after retail release if your keeping track) It should be available for rental. PERIOD. Fact, After the first week a DVD is released for sale, all the promos for it are off the air anyway and people ( customers) loose interest.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
You can typically get the Blu-ray of any movie for $10-15 a couple months after release on Amazon.

Of course there's a lot of junk out there but with so much top-notch content why even bother watching the junk? There's too many good movies to watch in a lifetime, or ten lifetimes... I don't understand why people complain about crap movies. No one is forcing you to watch them.

This move will force impatient people who don't care about owning but really enjoy certain franchises to have to go out and buy instead of renting like they normally do. Plus it forces rental companies to go around the studios and go buy the movies at full retail price. Typically they get a discount buying direct from the studio; not with this method. So if it's Red Box buying up the movies at retail because of the delay or an end consumer, the studio still wins all the same.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
said by 45612019:

Plus it forces rental companies to go around the studios and go buy the movies at full retail price. Typically they get a discount buying direct from the studio; not with this method. So if it's Red Box buying up the movies at retail because of the delay or an end consumer, the studio still wins all the same.

??? Just think of this logic... If that was the case the studio could have just raised the rate they sell the DVDs at to Rental companies to a price closer to retail or actually charge retail and skip the 28-56 day wait period, simple enough. You would probably see Blockbuster and Redbox raise there rental rates from $1 to say $1.25 or 1.$50 to make up the difference. But the fact remains they did not, they rather impose a 2 month delay.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Why raise the rates when you can get a delay equaling increased rates AND sales to consumers?

There is no way for Warner to lose in this equation. Just face the facts: they made a smart business move.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to buddahbless
said by buddahbless:

Problem with buying all the time is the fact that theses studios are making $h!t ( pardon my French) movies and want to get paid top dollar for it.

If they are making shit movies why are so many people illegally pirating them?

The reason is that people want something for nothing. They view piracy as a victimless crime and the studios as a large entity who make a lot of money anyway.

Fact is that the film industry employs a ton of people and increasing their profits helps the economy. Don't like the price for a new release? Tough shit. Wait 60 days and rent it.