All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
litobro
join:2011-12-02
Edmonton, AB

litobro

Re: [AB] Actiontek V1000h .55 Optik High Speed Turbo Port Forwar

Well I did some additional testing while at work and found something VERY interesting. I can appear to use port forwarding properly from the WAN(assuming a non-blocked port is used) but only when outside of the network that is being port forwarded. I can seemingly use my apache server fine on a non-standard port but only if I attempt to access my external IP from a different network. Why TELUS does this I do not know. It had worked fine from within the LAN to WAN before on my old Shaw setup but I had started to dislike Shaw and jumped ship. Well for now this is quasi-solved... It just makes testing extremely difficult.
couttsj
join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC

couttsj

Think about it for a moment. Your equipment is on a Local Area Network (LAN) utilizing private addresses, and is connected to the Wide Area Network (WAN) through a gateway router. The gateway router sits on the WAN using a public address, and on the LAN using a private address. Most home routers do not have a loopback address like your computer does. To access another machine on your private network you must use private addresses (eg. 192.168.xxx.xxx). The outside world using the WAN must use the public address assigned to the router. When you ask for a DNS translation, you get the public address, which you cannot access from the Local Area Network.

To get around the problem, add the fully qualified domain name to your HOSTS file, as it takes precedence over DNS.

EdmMark
@telus.net

EdmMark to litobro

Anon

to litobro
How did you get that to work? I've been trying with no success to be able to access my test server from the outside but no luck. You're the first that seems to have been able to do that.
litobro
join:2011-12-02
Edmonton, AB

litobro

Ahh, I thought I had it working, which it did for a day. And then I shut off my testing machine and put it in a closet. And POOF! My setup stopped functioning. I was and still am thoroughly frustrated...