All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
roadboyIL
join:2012-01-30

roadboyIL

[IL] Mediacom "speeds of up to 12 mpbs" not in Heywort

We've been with Frontier (Verizon) DSL for many years and been generally pleased with it. But I decided to give this Mediacom deal a try, so we had it installed on 13 January. Before doing so, I talked to the rep and was told "we guarantee at least 10 mpbs".

Fine, I thought. Except that since installation we've never gotten anywhere near 10 and certainly not 12. In fact, the speeds are rarely higher than Frontier DSL ... and tonight, we're down near .64.

Mediacom came out a week later and installed a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem in the hope that might make a difference. Nope.

Fortunately I left the Frontier plant up and running. We have until 12 Feb to make the decision to keep or not keep. I'm calling Mediacom one more time, but don't have much hope.

It's 2012, folks, the 11th year of the 21st century. These dial-up-like speeds should be a thing of the past.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Re: [IL] Mediacom "speeds of up to 12 mpbs" not in Hey

Send a note to (user=mediacomchad) with your phone#
Go to192.168.1.100 and post signal info

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

2 edits

Lazy Senior to roadboyIL

to roadboyIL
said by roadboyIL:

we've never gotten anywhere near 10 and certainly not 12. In fact, the speeds are rarely higher than Frontier DSL ... and tonight, we're down near .64.

This forum is FULL of complaints similar to yours. Advertising "up to 12mbps" is dishonest and borders on false advertising. Like you, I have Frontier DSL and I get what they advertise, in other words I get what I pay for. Frontier could advertise "up to 12 mbps" and deliver the 3 mbps I get now. But they do not. They advertise 3mbps service and that is what I get.

This "speeds up to 12 mbps" advertising B.S. that Mediacom engages in is one reason why I and many others are not customers.
karrun
join:2011-03-03

karrun to roadboyIL

to roadboyIL
I you got better speeds with Frontier, I'd stick with them. MC's advertised speeds are rarely achieved, even under ideal situations (which never occur). I can get 7 mpbs early morning, never at night. If it rains, it drops down to less than 1. I've called, but they never get any better. We who have no choice tolerate it because they are the only game in town for many of us.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

1 recommendation

k9iua6 to roadboyIL

to roadboyIL
In general I'd say that if a person has an ISP connection that works steady for them, I'd say stick with it. Switching ISPs, whomever they are, brings in an uncertainty that one can't predict, and then even if you switch back you may not get back as good a connection again.

Now I would also say that there are plenty of Mediacom customers who do have good service, with nothing really to complain about. Even people who frequent this forum, me included. Many of us get close enough to the speeds advertised to feel we are getting our money's worth.

Some communities and Mediacom service areas are, however, notorious at the same time as having bad service for which Mediacom doesn't seem to have enough funds or reason to invest in fixing. For those people I feel sorry. But Mediacom isn't the only ISP for which this is so -- if you read the other forums on this site, for both cable-based and DSL providers, all are filled with people complaining about slow or erratic speeds. No ISP is perfect or consistent throughout its entire collection of service areas, although some clearly do seem better than others if you are geographically and franchise fortunate.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by k9iua6:

Some communities and Mediacom service areas are, however, notorious at the same time as having bad service for which Mediacom doesn't seem to have enough funds or reason to invest in fixing.

The argument here is not 'Bad Service". The argument is advertising (falsely)"speed up to 12 mbps" when Mediacom knows this can not be acheived in certain areas.. Why not be honest and advertise "service varies from dial up speed up to 12mbps" depending on time day, the weather or depending on our "funds".

Mediacom will not do this because being honest will not get them new customers.
Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior to k9iua6

to k9iua6
said by k9iua6:

In general I'd say that if a person has an ISP connection that works steady for them, I'd say stick with it.

Excellent advice, which I learned the hard way. Reliability is much more important than advertised "speeds up to 12 mbps".
CR_Client
join:2005-02-04
Cedar Rapids, IA

CR_Client to roadboyIL

to roadboyIL
When it comes to complaints about internet speeds, it's pretty easy to discount the opinions of those who consider .64Mbps to be the equivalent of dial-up modem speeds, when it is, in fact, more than ten times faster than the fastest dial-up modem speed possible.

Even DSL companies can't guarantee a speed on a specific connection due to distances from DSLAMs, etc, although most DSL connections have a more reliably consistent connection speed than cable. Thus, ALL ISPs advertise "up to x.x MBit" speeds in adherence with the law.

See also: automobile companies and their highly fungible advertised gas mileage figures.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by CR_Client:

When it comes to complaints about internet speeds, it's pretty easy to discount the opinions of those who consider .64Mbps to be the equivalent of dial-up modem speeds, when it is, in fact, more than ten times faster than the fastest dial-up modem speed possible.

Hard to discount the OP's complaint when he is paying for "up to 12mbps" speed and only getting .64mbps. He seems smart enough to know he is getting screwed. He has every right to be questioning his Mediacom service.

Fortunately he is on the 30 day moneyback guarantee and can dis-continue Mediacom service. Which he should do because it does not get better after you are in a 2 year contract.
McBain
join:2008-05-05
Le Roy, IL

McBain to roadboyIL

to roadboyIL
Definitely follow IowaMan's advice and IM MediacomChad. I was also tempted to try Mediacom again (had service with them years ago). I contacted Chad about the utilization in my area of Le Roy and found there were issues. He said they should be resolved in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to check back around March.

If Frontier would just bump me up to 7.1 service I wouldn't even consider switching, but I've been told that is not available here in Le Roy. I can, however, sign up for a second 3 Mbs line, which makes no sense to me.

Juneau
@mchsi.com

Juneau to Lazy Senior

Anon

to Lazy Senior
Yada, Yada, Yada.

More of the same old whine and moan. And that from someone who isn't even a customer of Mediacom.

Talk about being on the attack.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

1 edit

Lazy Senior

said by Juneau :

Yada, Yada, Yada.
More of the same old whine and moan.

There are 2 kinds of people that frequent this forum. Those of us that whine and moan about the horrid Mediacom Service and "MediaCom apologist trolls". There is a third kind, rarely seen. The guy that actually tries to help with answers to questions.

I have also found it is wiser to be a ex-customer complaining than a present customer complaining while stuck in a 2 year contract with poor service..

brandoninca to Juneau

Anon

to Juneau
I'm confused. He's pointing out that sub-1mbit speeds is definitely a rip off and you ignore the argument and instead attack the fact he's not a customer? Ad hominem attacks aside, that's definitely terrible service and since you're in the 30 day period I'd definitely just cut it and not look back.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by brandoninca :

I'm confused. He's pointing out that sub-1mbit speeds is definitely a rip off and you ignore the argument and instead attack the fact he's not a customer?

Do not be confused. When apologists can not refute facts they always attack the person. Attack the messenger and ignore the message.

FWIW, I am an Mediacom ex-customer who has been contemplating giving Mediacom a second chance at my business. I have seen little here that encourages me to do so.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to roadboyIL

Premium Member

to roadboyIL
If you would like to send me the address you're looking for service, I'll be happy to check the network data for the area.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to Lazy Senior

Premium Member

to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

said by roadboyIL:

we've never gotten anywhere near 10 and certainly not 12. In fact, the speeds are rarely higher than Frontier DSL ... and tonight, we're down near .64.

This forum is FULL of complaints similar to yours. Advertising "up to 12mbps" is dishonest and borders on false advertising. Like you, I have Frontier DSL and I get what they advertise, in other words I get what I pay for. Frontier could advertise "up to 12 mbps" and deliver the 3 mbps I get now. But they do not. They advertise 3mbps service and that is what I get.

This "speeds up to 12 mbps" advertising B.S. that Mediacom engages in is one reason why I and many others are not customers.

Not everyone has issues. My service is VIP HSD 15/1 with web boost and this is what I get 24/7

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by Anonymous88:

Not everyone has issues. My service is VIP HSD 15/1 with web boost and this is what I get 24/7

Great Speed.
I am well aware of this. Happy customers do not hang out on forums like this.

When I had Mediacom I never, and I mean never had a complaint about speed. I always got the speed I was paying for. There were few customers in my village, thanks to Mediacoms poor service. I shared internet with very few customers.

The problem was reliability and extremely poor service. Constant outages almost weekly and an attitude of "we will send a tech out to look at it in a few days" just does not cut it when you rely on internet for many important things like I do.

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow to Lazy Senior

to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

FWIW, I am an Mediacom ex-customer who has been contemplating giving Mediacom a second chance at my business. I have seen little here that encourages me to do so.

If Mediacom prioritizes traffic for business customers, you may get what you are looking for. I would hope business-class service gives you something other than a higher bill.
lhollow

lhollow to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

If everyone got employee pricing, high speed, and great service, no one would be complaining.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

said by lhollow:

said by Anonymous88:

If everyone got employee pricing, high speed, and great service, no one would be complaining.

I would gladly pay full price if I wasn't an employee. The service works fine for me.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

OldCableGuy to Lazy Senior

Anon

to Lazy Senior
How'd that class action lawsuit treat you Lazy Senior? Did the lawyer laugh at you by himself, or did he page the whole office to get in on the laughing? Did he still bill you for the consolation?

Juneau
@mchsi.com

Juneau to Lazy Senior

Anon

to Lazy Senior
"when you rely on internet for many important things like I do"

Yep, gotta stay up on all the BS on the interweb tubes.

Lazy Senior
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy :

How'd that class action lawsuit treat you Lazy Senior?

You have lost me there, I do not have a clue what you are talking about. Mediacom is not my life's pursuit. I don't read everything about them. I can only relate my personal experiences with them. As my Screen name suggests I am both Lazy and a Senior. In many many years of dealing with dozens of different companies Mediacom stands out of being the worst of the worst when it comes to customer support and treating the customer like a valuable asset. I have NEVER had any company in my life treat me as poorly as Mediacom.

They get away with this conduct only because they have little competition in most internet markets. Most customers have little choice, endure Mediacom or go without fast internet. I chose go with out after suffering with them for 2 years.
roadboyIL
join:2012-01-30

roadboyIL to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Thanks Chad! Just sent an IM.
Porthos28
join:2011-05-17
Springfield, MO

Porthos28 to Lazy Senior

to Lazy Senior
While there are some in my area who complain of problems they are in the minority. According to the news media there are over 30,000 customers for internet services here, both residential and business. We also have AT&T with their flavors of DSL and UVerse as competition. Other DSL providers may be available, I haven't looked.

My experience is that on a 12/1 mbps connection I consistently see 11.4/.95 mbps. The only major service interruptions have been one area wide problem where the connection from Mediacom to AT&T (Mediacom rides on AT&T's big pipe here) conked out for a couple of hours. Not a problem for me since the connection is not something I would die without. Beyond that it is stable and consistent and there when I want to use it.

I guess if folks are unhappy they should look elsewhere. But it is my experience that many of those folks would be unhappy regardless.
VTX1800N1
join:2010-12-06
Mahomet, IL

VTX1800N1 to roadboyIL

to roadboyIL
Maybe their "guarantee" was for .10 Mbps? This is what I'm getting....

VTX1800N1

VTX1800N1 to McBain

to McBain
I think I know you from another forum. I would highly advise against returning to MC. I've been complaining about their poor speeds for THREE YEARS. Unfortunately, I do not have another choice for internet here, or I would have been gone long ago and never done business with MC again. This is my speed this morning:

I had MC for a year or two before the problems started. Then Mahomet expanded rapidly with new subdivisions going in in every direction. Mediacom continued to sell internet subscriptions and collect the bills without any increase in capacity. Mediacom knows they cannot possibly provide the service they have sold yet they continue to collect the bills. It is clear MC has no intention of splitting the nodes in order to provide what they have sold. I've even been told by phone techs that the problem is the equipment to split the node is expensive. I have to ask what the hell they are doing with all the payments they are collecting?

mich04
@mchsi.com

mich04 to Anonymous88

Anon

to Anonymous88
I noticed that with windows xp and 7 I get just around 10 with my linux box, which is Arch Linux running compiz and such I am getting a consistent 11.5-11.8. I also noticed my download speeds go from 400-500 kbps to around 1300-1500. I think the amount of services running in the background might have something to do with the low speeds. Maybe a virus or some spyware, maybe a poorly written game that likes to advertise.