share rss forum feed
« WOW & 2012 IPV6 Dayi-Guide »
This is a sub-selection from USB on Cable Boxes

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21
reply to sgc

Re: USB on Cable Boxes

said by sgc:

By support, do you mean that they, like WOW! with eSATA, allow you to use them, but will not really help you if something goes wrong since they are not an official accessory, or do they offer full tech support with the USB drives?

It's fully supported and advertised: »www.mydish.com/upgrades/products···storage/

They even allow you to add a USB hard drive to a non-DVR receiver to convert it into a DVR.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
said by Jeremy W:

said by sgc:

By support, do you mean that they, like WOW! with eSATA, allow you to use them, but will not really help you if something goes wrong since they are not an official accessory, or do they offer full tech support with the USB drives?

It's fully supported and advertised: »www.mydish.com/upgrades/products···storage/

They even allow you to add a USB hard drive to a non-DVR receiver to convert it into a DVR.

I think I briefly remember a tech saying something about that. I was too busy trying to deal with his rude and condescending behavior, as well as his abuse of the equipment to actually care about the things he was saying (half of the things were about illegal and barely legal sites for new release movies...).

With Dish, do you own the boxes? If you rent them, it really doesn't make economical sense for them. If you own them, it still doesn't make economical sense but it makes quite a bit more.

Jeremy W

said by sgc:

With Dish, do you own the boxes? If you rent them, it really doesn't make economical sense for them. If you own them, it still doesn't make economical sense but it makes quite a bit more.

It's all leased, but I don't see how that matters.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
said by Jeremy W:

said by sgc:

It's all leased, but I don't see how that matters.

They make more money from giving you a DVR instead of a standard set-top box, so it is a bit odd to allow you to circumvent their billing. It's nice, but a bit odd.

EDIT: I see that there is a one-time fee of $40 for non-DVR adding a drive, but that is still way cheaper than paying monthly.

Jeremy W

said by sgc:

They make more money from giving you a DVR instead of a standard set-top box, so it is a bit odd to allow you to circumvent their billing. It's nice, but a bit odd.

No no no. It's not that simple. I'm not going to touch the accounting aspects, which are important, but just know that you have to pay to enable USB hard drive capability.