All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader

[DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

Talk about a hit upside the head! I didn't see that one coming. Even over at Bhell the modem fee is a $99 *one time* fee, and is currently waived.

After many years with Teksavvy I just upgraded to 25/7 last month based on the 'proposed' new fee structure. I thought maybe the prices might be off a little, maybe a couple of bucks, hell maybe even less money. I originally was considering 16 meg but after careful consideration decided the additional $7 for 25/7 was a good deal. Now it's $15 a month more for 25meg over 16.

And what about the hidden fees for the lower tiers? What has happened to the Teksavvy I have been promoting to friends and relatives for years? To say I am discouraged is putting it mildly.

One question I have now is - what will it cost me to drop back to 16meg? The $25 change fee? Will I have to pay the $99 fee again? Or will I sit tight for now and see what other ISP's have to offer?
BikeHelmet
join:2010-04-15

BikeHelmet

»teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

"Modem rental for DSL 25 $8/month"

"Modems for DSL 25* Rental
Cellpipe 7130 $8/month"

May I ask how you were blindsided by this? It's all over their signup/plans page.
Rand2k1
join:2003-12-09
Canada

Rand2k1

These prices are new as of today.

The notice the had previously about price changes made no mention of a modem rental fee, or the $1.50 fee for 6mb plans.
BikeHelmet
join:2010-04-15

BikeHelmet

said by Rand2k1:

These prices are new as of today.

The notice the had previously about price changes made no mention of a modem rental fee, or the $1.50 fee for 6mb plans.

Good point. I didn't pay too much attention to them because I'm out in BC, but you are correct.

That's why I'm never an early adopter. I let other people work out the kinks for me.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby to lleader

to lleader
Network Fee for DSL 2 and DSL 6 $1.50

'Network Fee' ? when did this pop up?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by jibby:

Not sure why they ain't just putting that in the price... instead of calling it network fee.

Or why they don't just put the modem rental fee inside the price aswell... since you can't buy the modem either, unless they will soon sell those modems.

This is weird indeed.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to lleader

to lleader

Cellpipe modem for 16/1 service

What's even weirder is that some TSI customers got the Cellpipe 7130 modem for their 16/1 service last month, for free.

This $8 is just a hidden money grab. The strange part is that not many would have complained as loudly had TSI simply included that in the price in the first place, since $60.99 is actually reasonable for 25/7 service with a 300 GB cap.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

I'm sure they had a reason to do it. Perhaps they know VDSL2 customers may impact peak time usage more therefore increasing network costs means charging more. And I suspect this won't be the last price increase. In addition, you'll find as TSI grows bigger their profit margin needs to be adjusted due to increased costs. This is just what happens when companies grow.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug

said by BACONATOR26:

I'm sure they had a reason to do it. Perhaps they know VDSL2 customers may impact peak time usage more therefore increasing network costs means charging more. And I suspect this won't be the last price increase. In addition, you'll find as TSI grows bigger their profit margin needs to be adjusted due to increased costs. This is just what happens when companies grow.

They didn't have to do it this way. Really bad PR.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to kovy7

Premium Member

to kovy7

Re: [DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

said by kovy7:

said by jibby:

Not sure why they ain't just putting that in the price... instead of calling it network fee.

Or why they don't just put the modem rental fee inside the price as well... since you can't buy the modem either, unless they will soon sell those modems.

This is weird indeed.

Hmmmm....
tolwyn
join:2002-12-30
Baie-D'Urfe, QC

tolwyn to lleader

to lleader
Can I return the TS cellpipe and use my own? I have an old Bell one sitting here that they never bothered to ask me to return...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Eug

Premium Member

to Eug

Re: Cellpipe modem for 16/1 service

said by Eug:

....The strange part is that not many would have complained as loudly had TSI simply included that in the price in the first place, since $60.99 is actually reasonable for 25/7 service with a 300 GB cap.

Hmmmm....

Except for the continued NGN activation fee, their 25/7 DSL monthly cost to us still dropped significantly, even if you were to blend the new modem rental fee with it.

Funny stuff - Wonder who wrote it ?
epsilon3
join:2008-03-29
canada

epsilon3 to lleader

to lleader

Re: [DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

The hidden fees - network fees are not only "Bell's way" ... they are illegal! A provider should present their prices including ALL fees. Teksavvy can get hit by some penalties soon if they decide to stick with this pricing structure

This new approach is more than scary ... at least for me ... a bad day ... with further negative impact on Teksavvy I guess ...

I do not mind price increases, they are more or less normal for a company ... BUT the approach how it is done is totally wrong ...

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Uh yeah the fee is not "hidden" it's right on the DSL page.
ForeverBlind
join:2003-11-27
Mississauga, ON

ForeverBlind

People who are already on DSL6 wouldn't have any reason to visit the DSL page so the $1.50 thing is definitely sneaky.
sppena
join:2007-06-08
Toronto

sppena

you can say that again! I would love to go to cable but I believe my location is already saturated and the low upload is not helping either
Velix
join:2007-06-08
La Prairie, QC

Velix to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

Uh yeah the fee is not "hidden" it's right on the DSL page.

These new fees were NOT announced 30 days ago, period.
Check it out for yourself.
»www.teksavvy.com/en/newp ··· ice.html

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Also says "Prices are not final and are subject to change"

Marc also commented in the other thread: »New prices and fees?

It's a fee for new accounts which is probably why no notice was sent out to existing subs.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Velix

Premium Member

to Velix
This is only for the higher speeds where we are forced to use Bell's modem. It's another pass-through... That we have to use their modem is absurd but if we want to offer it that's what we have to do.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

It's a fee for new accounts which is probably why no notice was sent out to existing subs.

That's correct..
velocity7
join:2009-05-20

velocity7

So if I I'm on DSL 6 and I'm interested in going to DSL 25, will I have to pay the $8/month fee?
BigBenBeaub
join:2011-11-22

BigBenBeaub to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Marc , the new prices for cable in Quebec are coming out today right ?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to velocity7

Premium Member

to velocity7
any option that Bell requires us to use their modem.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to BigBenBeaub

Premium Member

to BigBenBeaub
said by BigBenBeaub:

Very soon.
velocity7
join:2009-05-20

velocity7 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
So it would seem that if I'm going from DSL 6 to DSL 25, I have to pay the fee... it would have been really nice to know this minor detail so I would have ordered DSL 25 300 GB well beforehand or something.
BigBenBeaub
join:2011-11-22

BigBenBeaub to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by BigBenBeaub:

Very soon.

very soon mean today right ?
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by BACONATOR26:

That's correct..

So just to be very clear, the $8/month modem rental fee only applies to new sign ups, and not to existing customers?

atmx093
join:2009-01-07
Gatineau, QC

1 edit

atmx093 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
"Very soon"???????

I don't want the same old cryptic answer, give me something CONCRETE.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to BigBenBeaub

to BigBenBeaub
quote:
very soon mean today right ?
I would like to know this as well, I am 100% signing up to a cable sub today.

Please save me the aggravation of checking this site only to grow more frustrated your baffling neglect of providing information to your Quebec subscribers.

I know you have much bigger things on your plate but the whole situation could have been handled better.
malocite
join:2004-05-24
Hamilton, ON

malocite to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
So we can buy our own modem? I'm not happy either. I tried to order this a month ago to have it future dated they said no. I called again a few days ago, again no. Also no mention of this 8 dollar modem rental fee at any point.

I love teksavvy, and hate bell, and this little bit of creative marketing actually had me looking at Arcanac's website today as well as Primus ( who both apparently don't have anything over 5 meg... boo urns...) and even Bell...

And I'm a fanboy...

This was not well done. You guys just CAN'T do this so soon after the Tim Horton's cup fiasco... I still can't figure out what coffee I want....