Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Montreal DSL

Premium Member

to Montreal DSL

Re: [DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

said by Montreal DSL:

....They did come out with some explanations here: »teksavvy.com/en/Pricing% ··· 2012.pdf

That new FAQ now has its own thread :

»Teksavvy New Pricing FAQ !
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to kovy7

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

The Cellpipe was released before the 7330 were active with VDSL2, hence why so many probleme with 7330. Cellpipe and stinger have no problem at all. Samgecom plays well with both since it was released after the 7330 vdsl2 cards.

So far I haven't seen the Sagemcom anywhere for sale. I'm guessing they're gonna be rare as hens teeth for years, unless Bell suddenly does an about face and decides to sell them. That ain't gonna happen any time soon I'm guessing.
said by the cerberus:

Anyways acanac has made an announcement that they are working on getting a vdsl2 modem approved that they can sell.

Acanac can say whatever they want, but ultimately, it's up to Bell to agree to it.

Meanwhile, Acanac isn't even reselling VDSL2 at all so it's kind of a moot point.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by Eug:

Meanwhile, Acanac isn't even reselling VDSL2 at all so it's kind of a moot point.

this is acanac's stance on wholesaling vdsl2
said by Canaca:

Upto 16Mbps. We are still working with BCM and Bell to get our own modems approved for the higher speeds. Paying an extra $8 a month for a modem that keeps on crashing is a no go for us. If Bell can not help us get our modem approved any faster it will be their loss since clients will just go to Cable.

»Re: Velcom, Acanac, price change, when ?

would be nice if teksavvy took a similar stance.
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by the cerberus:

said by Eug:

this is acanac's stance on wholesaling vdsl2
said by Canaca:

Upto 16Mbps. We are still working with BCM and Bell to get our own modems approved for the higher speeds. Paying an extra $8 a month for a modem that keeps on crashing is a no go for us. If Bell can not help us get our modem approved any faster it will be their loss since clients will just go to Cable.

»Re: Velcom, Acanac, price change, when ?

would be nice if teksavvy took a similar stance.

Who is to say TSI hasn't already discussed this with Bell? And even if they haven't (which would surprise me), remember that a couple of posts in a forum by Acanac isn't what I exactly would call an official business plan.

I'm not impressed with TSI's approach to this either, and it suggests to me poor planning. That said, they actually have a product to (re-)sell. A bird in the hand...

ajhaji
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji to lleader

Premium Member

to lleader
I just wanted to chime in and say that I, too, was disappointed to learn of the extra $8 fee. I was ready and willing to sign up for the 25/7 service at $52.99, as it was clearly quoted on the pricing notice website. There was absolutely no mention of any extra fees on the website. So now, to find out that the price isn't $52.99, but $60.99, I'm a little upset.

It might simply be worth it to stay with Bell and call them every 12 months to get a retentions discount.
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by ajhaji:

I just wanted to chime in and say that I, too, was disappointed to learn of the extra $8 fee. I was ready and willing to sign up for the 25/7 service at $52.99, as it was clearly quoted on the pricing notice website. There was absolutely no mention of any extra fees on the website. So now, to find out that the price isn't $52.99, but $60.99, I'm a little upset.

It might simply be worth it to stay with Bell and call them every 12 months to get a retentions discount.

Their $32.50/mo 25/7 deal is actually pretty good.... if you can stand their low usage caps.

Pro: No modem fee
Pro: Activation fee only $30
Con: 100 GB cap
Con: Overage $1 per GB
Pro: Get 120 GB more for $15/mo
Con: Price good only for 12 months
monkeydance
join:2008-09-02
Waterloo, ON

monkeydance

Yeah, I use Bell for one of my telephone services. So the Bell deal will end up being $59.95/month for 25/7 after the first year's low price of $27.50/month, which is cheaper than Teksavvy's current offering!!!

Since I'm not a high-bandwidth user, and Bell has stopped their throttling, there is no longer any incentive to stick with Teksavvy.

ajhaji
Premium Member
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji

Premium Member

You can keep calling in once a year and more often than not they'll offer you a 12-month discount. I'm sad to say it but TekSavvy just can't compete on price, especially when you need a dry loop. A higher monthly usage limit is TekSavvy's only remaining competitive advantage.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by ajhaji:

You can keep calling in once a year and more often than not they'll offer you a 12-month discount. I'm sad to say it but TekSavvy just can't compete on price, especially when you need a dry loop. A higher monthly usage limit is TekSavvy's only remaining competitive advantage.

Well if you can deal with Bell first line support, I guess.
monkeydance
join:2008-09-02
Waterloo, ON

monkeydance to ajhaji

to ajhaji
said by ajhaji:

What do you say to them? That you want an extension on your discount???

ajhaji
Premium Member
Etobicoke, ON

ajhaji

Premium Member

Just tell them you want to cancel. They'll throw a discount at you to keep you as a customer.
Eug
Canada

Eug to ajhaji

to ajhaji

No guarantee of a good deal on Bell after promotion over

said by ajhaji:

I took Bell's 3 months of 25/7 for $9.99 deal with no activation fee. When the 3 months was up, they offered me a deal... which turned out to be exactly the same as what was advertised on their website, nothing more. At the time that deal wasn't very good, so I just said pass.

Bell has smartened up now and has a better promotional deal available (as mentioned previously), but there is no guarantee that deal will still be there in a year. It certainly wasn't there a year ago.

Montreal DSL
join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL

1 recommendation

Montreal DSL to monkeydance

to monkeydance

Re: [DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

said by monkeydance:

Yeah, I use Bell for one of my telephone services. So the Bell deal will end up being $59.95/month for 25/7 after the first year's low price of $27.50/month, which is cheaper than Teksavvy's current offering!!!

Since I'm not a high-bandwidth user, and Bell has stopped their throttling, there is no longer any incentive to stick with Teksavvy.

while I agree one should take care of their money ... just don't forget who Bell is ... the Hell ... if the smaller IPSs are not supported by customers, they go out of business and then will impose again their stupid prices and limits to everyone ...

I'd preffer to give few more $ per month for an independent ISP than to be with Bell ... but each one for itself ...
swampboy
join:2012-01-24
Hamilton, ON

swampboy to monkeydance

to monkeydance
I don't understand the logic of having a 25/7 hookup and not being a big user. It would seem to be a bit of overkill and a huge waste of money.
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic

said by swampboy:

I don't understand the logic of having a 25/7 hookup and not being a big user. It would seem to be a bit of overkill and a huge waste of money.

It depends what you need. If having a big upload speed is very important, than 25/7 is really the only option out there - even cable is capped at 2Mbps (and can Teksavvy even offer that plan?).
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie to Eug

to Eug
said by Eug:

Well, one thing I'll say in Bell's defence is that the modems aren't universal. The firmwares have to be tailored to each region. It seems most of the Cellpipes have the 1.0.4.3EF-STINGER firmware, but if you're in places like parts of Ottawa, it simply won't work. You'd need a different custom firmware.

This way, Bell locks down the firmwares for different regions to minimize support issues. Or at least they would in theory, if they actually sent the right modems to the right areas, but often they get confused and send the wrong ones.

It makes sense to have 1 firmware that works in ALL regions.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by bjlockie:

Eug seems to know more details but I think the jist of it is that they can't because their VDSL2 roll-out was a mess.
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by pnjunction:

said by bjlockie:

Eug seems to know more details but I think the jist of it is that they can't because their VDSL2 roll-out was a mess.

It's kovy and others who know more about this. However, here are my 2 cents:

The Cellpipes were sent out to be used with their first batch of VDSL2 DSLAMs and have a firmware that's compatible with that hardware. This seemed to work well. However, then Bell started rolling out new DSLAMs, but the existing modem was not compatible with that new hardware.

So, they created a new firmware to work with the new DSLAMs. They also have a whole new modem made by Sagemcom which some claim is supposedly compatible with all the DSLAMs. However, for some reason Bell is usually not sending the Sagemcom to most of its customers. For example, TSI customers get the Cellpipe, and my sister who just signed with Bell a few months ago also got the Cellpipe. I suspect one reason for this is because they have so many Cellpipes out there that they don't want to buy too many Sagemcom modems, esp. not until they've tested it more.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Eug:

said by pnjunction:

said by bjlockie:

It's kovy and others who know more about this. However, here are my 2 cents:

The Cellpipes were sent out to be used with their first batch of VDSL2 DSLAMs and have a firmware that's compatible with that hardware. This seemed to work well. However, then Bell started rolling out new DSLAMs, but the existing modem was not compatible with that new hardware.

So, they created a new firmware to work with the new DSLAMs. They also have a whole new modem made by Sagemcom which some claim is supposedly compatible with all the DSLAMs. However, for some reason Bell is usually not sending the Sagemcom to most of its customers. For example, TSI customers get the Cellpipe, and my sister who just signed with Bell a few months ago also got the Cellpipe. I suspect one reason for this is because they have so many Cellpipes out there that they don't want to buy too many Sagemcom modems, esp. not until they've tested it more.

Your sister has IPTV?

Also, the Sagemcom is a bit more expensive... maybe they want to charge the customer if he request a Sagemcom.
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by kovy7:

Your sister has IPTV?

Also, the Sagemcom is a bit more expensive... maybe they want to charge the customer if he request a Sagemcom.

Yes. Are they still not sending out the Sagemcoms for IPTV? BTW, I'm hearing reports about reboot problems with the Sagemcom as well.

Anyways, I do know that some people on the Bell forum were getting Cellpipes after the Sagemcom came out, even if they didn't get IPTV. However, that was a couple of months ago. I don't know the situation in Feb. 2012.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Eug:

said by kovy7:

Your sister has IPTV?

Yes. Are they still not sending out the Sagemcoms for IPTV? BTW, I'm hearing reports about reboot problems with the Sagemcom as well.

Anyways, I do know that some people on the Bell forum were getting Cellpipes after the Sagemcom came out, even if they didn't get IPTV. However, that was a couple of months ago. I don't know the situation in Feb. 2012.

People on IPTV are usually getting Cellpipe... unless the customer requested or the tech says otherwise lol.

I haven't gotten any problem with the Sagemcom except for some wireless issues on occasions.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Eug

Premium Member

to Eug
said by Eug:

....I suspect one reason for this is because they have so many Cellpipes out there, that they don't want to buy too many Sagemcom modems, especially not until they've tested it more.

So it seems to me that this Modem Rental Fee ought to be renamed to the 'B$ELL Modem Testing Fund Contribution'.

EDIT : Oh yes, and we all get paid as BETA TESTERS !
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by Davesnothere:

said by Eug:

....I suspect one reason for this is because they have so many Cellpipes out there, that they don't want to buy too many Sagemcom modems, especially not until they've tested it more.

So it seems to me that this Modem Rental Fee ought to be renamed to the 'B$ELL Modem Testing Fund Contribution'.

EDIT : Oh yes, and we all get paid as BETA TESTERS !

Bell isn't charging their own customers for modem rental. They charge a one-time fee of $100, but provide a $100 credit at the same time.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Eug:

Bell isn't charging their own customers for modem rental. They charge a one-time fee of $100, but provide a $100 credit at the same time.

Yeah, but look at how much OTHER crap that a B$ELL retail customer must endure....

As soon as we mention usage caps & UBB, any and all other praise for B$ELL is rendered invalid, IMNSHO.
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by Davesnothere:

said by Eug:

Yeah, but look at how much OTHER crap that a B$ELL retail customer must endure....

As soon as we mention usage caps & UBB, any and all other praise for B$ELL is rendered invalid, IMNSHO.

$47.50 per month on Bell gets you:
- 25 Mbps down
- 7 Mbps up
- 220 GB cap
- Free modem

Also, the activation fee is only $30 (not $95 like with TSI).

The problem is that it's only good for a year.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Eug:

....The problem is that it's only good for a year.

That alone is a good reason for avoiding it, IMNSHO, though I have others - check my Post History.

AND, we cannot have 25/7 where I live anyway, and if you cost out 12/1, there is less incentive to consider B$ELL, even if I could excuse all of their past transgressions. - So much for 'The Lord's Prayer', eh ?
lachek
join:2007-11-14
Hamilton, ON

lachek to swampboy

to swampboy
said by swampboy:

I recently switched to the 25/7 service. At the time of my request I was told that the price was dropping on Feb.2 to $52.99, but if I made the order right away (Jan 17), the rate would be $67.99 and then would be prorated after Feb. 2. This was no big deal and I didn't want to get stuck in a lineup for the change, because I felt it was a good deal. It is still a lot cheaper than Bell and I don't have to worry about caps due to 2am-8am traffic not being included.

I agree with your sentiment here, swampboy, but I was told when I called mid-Jan and then later end-Jan that there would be NO pro-rating after Feb 2nd, and that I'd be much better off waiting until Feb 2nd to switch for that reason. I pressed the issue because I, like you, felt that I'd rather have it done sooner even if I did have to spend $15 more, but was stonewalled by the reps in such a way that it became clear that it was not just "encouraged" to wait, but rather that they would simply not process my order in January.

If this was NOT a premeditated and underhanded stunt to collect $8/month extra wherever possible, I'd be very surprised. Presumably, if the $8/month is just a Bell passthru fee, it should be charged also to existing customers.

Disappointing, and not the company I thought I signed up with. I understand you have to make ends meet, but even notwithstanding this underhanded rollout, a mandatory rental modem and this "no activation of BYOD modems" policy the CSR told me about today is anathema to the good old "an ISP for tech savvy users" image.
Eug
Canada

Eug to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Eug:

....The problem is that it's only good for a year.

That alone is a good reason for avoiding it, IMNSHO, though I have others - check my Post History.

AND, we cannot have 25/7 where I live anyway, and if you cost out 12/1, there is less incentive to consider B$ELL, even if I could excuse all of their past transgressions. - So much for 'The Lord's Prayer', eh ?

A friend of mine just went with Fibe 25/7 for $27.50 a month. He got the 100 GB cap (since he uses less than 60 per month), and he already had another Bell service so he could bundle to get $5 off the non-bundled $32.50 price. $29 activation fee. Excellent deal IMO for low usage customers.

There's still that 1-year only clause, but if they don't give him a similar deal in 1 year, he can just switch to another provider because there is no contract.

TSI's big advantage is for DSLReports types with heavy usage, but the startup costs are significant, so if you sign up with TSI you'd be best prepared to stick with them for a long time.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to lachek

Premium Member

to lachek
said by lachek:

a mandatory rental modem and this "no activation of BYOD modems" policy

There is no BYOD because VDSL2 modems are fairly expensive and the only ones approved on the Bell network are the Cellpipes and the Sagecoms. There is a user on here who setup was able to successfully setup Cisco router with a VDSL2 HWIC.
Eug
Canada

Eug

said by JC_:

said by lachek:

a mandatory rental modem and this "no activation of BYOD modems" policy

There is no BYOD because VDSL2 modems are fairly expensive and the only ones approved on the Bell network are the Cellpipes and the Sagecoms. There is a user on here who setup was able to successfully setup Cisco router with a VDSL2 HWIC.

Do you have the link? That setup must be rather expensive. What context?