No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Gimli

Re: The FUTURE, Conan

said by Gimli:

Hmmmm not sure about that - Completely eliminating the entire Indy market gets the Exec. quite the bonus

ONLY if it WORKS

C'mon, George & Mirko - Bet the FARM !
--

"It's COLD in here, Mister (Premier) McGuilty ! - PLEASE, could I have just a wee piece of COAL for the fire ?"
-
Read about : »UBB Nightmare

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to lleader

Re: [DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

That's right, , all the way to the year.... 2000.

Coincidentally, typical internet speeds today are still slower than Videotron's cable internet speeds were in the late 90s (10 megabit). Hah.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
reply to lleader
Put in my request for clarification on billing issues on Monday. Still "waiting for accounting to look into it". Seriously? What is going on over there?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Guspaz

10mb is the biggest package.
Ho Hum

vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
My cousin in South Korea is killing herself laughing at the great "strides for speed" we have taken, and our efforts for an economical internet.

By comparison, we're dial-up (and not 56k, either).

int0

join:2005-05-11
Montreal, QC
reply to Phibian

said by Phibian:

Put in my request for clarification on billing issues on Monday. Still "waiting for accounting to look into it". Seriously? What is going on over there?

Here's the response I just got from TSI (this after in the TekSavvy Direct forum AND on the phone, they confirmed I would not be charged the $8 modem rental for my 25/7, since I signed up before Feb 2):
quote:
at first it seemed to be word that the process was going to be to not charge existing 25mb customers the 8$ /mo. modem fee. However as per the up to date pricing FAQ document I've been advised to reference for this issue, it indicates the following:

"4.6 : Does the $8.00 *Modem Rental Fee* apply to existing DSL FTTN 25MB customers?

- Yes, all customers on the DSL FTTN 25MB package will be charged this fee effective immediately (next invoice)"

Great apologies for the confusion but the fee will unfortunately apply.

Now if I don't get a refund of my $99 so I can switch to EBox, I'm going to throw a fit!

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to vintagewino

said by vintagewino:

My cousin in South Korea is killing herself laughing at the great "strides for speed" we have taken, and our efforts for an economical internet.

Isn't South Korea also where they have internet censorship? Speed is one thing, not being able to access a great amount makes it useless.

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to int0

said by int0:

Here's the response I just got from TSI (this after in the TekSavvy Direct forum AND on the phone, they confirmed I would not be charged the $8 modem rental for my 25/7, since I signed up before Feb 2):

quote:
at first it seemed to be word that the process was going to be to not charge existing 25mb customers the 8$ /mo. modem fee. However as per the up to date pricing FAQ document I've been advised to reference for this issue, it indicates the following:

"4.6 : Does the $8.00 *Modem Rental Fee* apply to existing DSL FTTN 25MB customers?

- Yes, all customers on the DSL FTTN 25MB package will be charged this fee effective immediately (next invoice)"

I too was recently told over the phone I would not be charged the $8. Now it seems I will. There appears to be a lot of waffling on the issue.

There is one and only one criteria, as far as I am concerned, that should be applied to this issue. If TSI is going to be charged by Bhell for modem rental for those who signed up BEFORE Feb.02 then I don't mind paying it. I don't expect TSI to 'eat' the cost. But if Bhell is NOT charging TSI for those rentals then I don't think it is acceptable for TSI to charge their customers for it.

I would want a 'for the record' statement from Rocky or Marc regarding which of these scenarios is the truth.

vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlerner

Mlerner, you're thinking of North Korea. For all intents and purposes, they're gagged. Iraq, Singapore and Australia were the ones that surprised me.

From gagged to free:

North Korea Cuba is listed as an Internet enemy by RWB in 2011. Not categorized by ONI due to lack of data.

Cuba is listed as an Internet enemy by RWB in 2011. Not categorized by ONI due to lack of data.

Iran is listed as pervasive in the political, social, and Internet tools areas and as substantial in conflict/security by ONI in June 2009.
Listed as an Internet enemy by RWB in 2011.

Saudi Arabia listed as pervasive in the social and Internet tools areas, as substantial in political, and as selective in conflict/security by ONI in August 2009. Listed as an Internet enemy by RWB in 2011.

Australia is not individually classified by ONI, but is included in the regional overview for Australia and New Zealand. Listed as Under Surveillance by RWB in 2011.

South Korea is listed as pervasive in the conflict/security area, as substantial in social, and as no evidence in political and Internet tools by ONI in December 2010.

Singapore is listed as selective in the social area and as no evidence in political, conflict/security, and Internet tools by ONI in May 2007.

Iraq is listed as no evidence in all four areas (political, social, conflict/security, and Internet tools) by ONI in August 2009.
Internet access in Iraq remains largely unfettered, but this is likely to change, as the authorities have initiated measures to censor Internet content and monitor online activities. In addition, the government has launched legal offensives against independent news media and Web sites.

Canada is not individually classified by ONI, but is included in the regional overview for the United States.

Source: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_c···_country

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to int0

said by int0:

Disappointing, seeing as there's a considerable premium on the "unlimited" tier, which, I had selected because I'm usually slightly over the 300GB mark, and figured it would be simpler and easier for both myself and Teksavvy if I went with Unlimited.

Seems like this is an attempts to pretty much coral everyone into the 300GB plan, by creating an even huger price gap.

Color me unimpressed.
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
I'm much less than unimpressed. It's one thing for them to have sprung this one people who hadn't signed up yet - at least they have the option of choosing not to sign up, or switching to a different plan/provider. But those of use who ordered 25/7 based on the pricing that they provided us are getting hosed. Especially considering that we were originally told it wasn't going to be applied, and now suddenly it is. Sure, I always have the option of cancelling, but I've already spent all the upfront money, so I'd be out a large amount to cancel.

Teksavvy has completely lost all my goodwill with this move, and more specifically, how it's been handled. This is completely unacceptable behaviour for a company, they should be ashamed of the way they've been dealing with this situation.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Wow Same here My first chance i will be moving to a More transparent And Upfront company teksavvy has lost its way, And whats worse i asked the same Question and They gave me the same identical Answer in the direct forum They are Now Cut & pasting the answers, Thats a rocky road to go down.

They are No longer the teksavvy I signed up with Yes companys have to grow up, But this one has become the Bastard of the litter its a minibell now.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
Unfortunately it seems they are reversing what they said just last week in the first FAQ. What else will be changing?

So the rep replying to int0 obviously had a new Pricing FAQ to reference (the section number with that modem question is different than before).

Is this new FAQ to be made available to us again, or is it being kept as an internal document only this time?

HOPEFULLY, if released, it will at least answer more questions than it generates! And I certainly hope ALL the phone/forum reps (and supervisors) have access to the same document!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

....They are No longer the teksavvy I signed up with.

Yes companys have to grow up, but this one has become the Bastard of the litter.

Its' a mini-Bell now.

What ?

You mean ####savvy ?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

Unfortunately it seems they are reversing what they said just last week in the first FAQ. What else will be changing ? ....

FAQ sakes ! - No links on TSI's website and deafening silence here.

Will Monday shed any light ?

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to lleader
I too would like clarification on where the $8 comes from.

Yesterday after a week of waiting I finally get an email response from accounting. The response is unclear as to what action they will be taking and contains a blatant spelling error. So I call in (as the email tells me to if I have questions) and get told that yes the person who sent me the email is in but no I can't speak to them as accounting is closed on Sundays. It seems that all the people who can actually help and/or answer questions with something other than a script are locked away in a secret room and no one is allowed to speak to them directly.

It seems that the $8 is optional from Bell as Acanac is looking to do their own modems to bypass it and all the issues with the Bell modems (cough... rebooting... cough). So if the modem is really optional from Bell (and again no one has found any reference to it in the tariffs) then why is TSI insisting on charging it even if the customer finds a way to get their own modem (and there are ways - at least for the 7330 remotes).

TSI used to be all about giving customers options - not forcing them to do things in one and only one way.

swiftex

join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to lleader
Considering the $8 fee, isn't it still cheaper for 25/7 (300GB) cap in the amount of $7?

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Phibian
Yeah cause Acanac is a reliable source. No one else is saying the modem rental is optional, it might simply be that Acanac intends to "eat" the rental fee. Either way I'd be very surprised if they can source their own VDSL2 modems, there are very few that will work and Acanac will need to somehow work out a distribution deal with a vendor as none of them are available at retail.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Cisco 887SA is confirmed to work on the ALU 7330 remote by a couple of users. It is available retail to anyone.

Zyxel makes a modem that is also available retail and looks like it should work with the ALU 7330 remote as well. I don't have a confirmed report of it working yet.

I doubt they would eat the fee. No one has seen any mention of the fee in the tariffs. I think at this point it is simply that there are so few options that TSI is taking the easy route and just renting the tings from Bell. If it is not in the tariff then it is not required and TSI has no obligation to rent the things from Bell. I just want the option to bring my own hardware. I don't expect TSI to sell it too me or even tell me what works and what doesn't.

I need a working modem and if TSI/Bell can't get me one I sure don't want to pay $8/month if I have to buy my own modem. Even if they can figure out how to get me a working one I would like the option of buying it outright and not paying a perpetual rental fee for the rest of eternity.

CoreM

join:2005-06-29
France
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

I'd be very surprised if they can source their own VDSL2 modems, there are very few that will work and Acanac will need to somehow work out a distribution deal with a vendor as none of them are available at retail.

Well I'm not sure whether Acanac will be able to pull it off or not, but this "rumor" came straight from Paul at Acanac. More specifically he said the following on their forum:

No changes for now. The higher 25Mbps speeds will not be available until our own modems are approved... I will have more info before months end.

So again, whether this is true or it was just said to make Acanac look better is up for debate, but that's where the whole Acanac modem approval thing started from as far as I know.

blaznazn224

join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON
reply to lleader
what i dont understand here is why people are bitching when the price of 25/7 has gone down from what it was before this big CRTC Fiasco..I believe 25/7 used to be in the range of $77 and now it costs $60. Maybe teksavvy did "decieve" you people by charging a modem rental fee separate...but even if they included that price in the total, the bottom line wouldn't change and the price would still be the price. Anyways I recommend going with cable...you get the same or better download and upload is also beginning to tick up.

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
said by blaznazn224:

what i dont understand here is why people are bitching when the price of 25/7 has gone down from what it was before this big CRTC Fiasco..I believe 25/7 used to be in the range of $77 and now it costs $60. Maybe teksavvy did "decieve" you people by charging a modem rental fee separate...but even if they included that price in the total, the bottom line wouldn't change and the price would still be the price

I like how you put the word deceive in quotations, as if it doesn't really apply. It does. They sent us an email with a link to the prices they were planning to charge us starting Feb 2nd. Nowhere in that link was there any mention of a charge for modem rental. This isn't a case of not including it in the total, it wasn't mentioned at all.

Some of us, mistakenly it's now apparent, took them at their word, and believed that that was the price that they'd be charging. We were deceived. They are, in effect, increasing the price of our connection by $8/mth with no notice at all, and after promising us that we wouldn't be paying it.

Maybe you don't have a problem with a company lying to you. Maybe you don't have a problem with a company advertising prices that they have no intention of honouring. But you'll have to forgive the rest of us who have an issue with it.

CoreM

France
reply to blaznazn224
I think there are a couple of reasons:

1) Nobody here has any interest whatsoever in paying for hardware over and over and over again that we will never end up being able to own.

2) Many users signed up for the 25/7 service due to all the reps telling us that the total cost would be effectively $52/mo. Once Feb 2nd rolled around many found out the hard way that there was an additional $8/mo fee on their bill. This was also contrary to their prior cost structure which included the modem fee in the price.

I don't see why it's so surprising to be "bitching" about that, do you?

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to blaznazn224
The modem rental things is a directly contradiction to TSI's approach of allowing customers to have a choice.

It is also not in the tariff. It bugs me to be forced to pay something that is not mandated in the tariff and then to put the blame on Bell.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Phibian:

It is also not in the tariff. It bugs me to be forced to pay something that is not mandated in the tariff and then to put the blame on Bell.

I looked through all the recent Bell tariffs related to GAS and FTTN and didn't see a single mention of a modem rental fee. Also if they're going to make rental mandatory at least get Bell provide the Sagecoms to people that are having constant issues with the Cellpipe.

CoreM

France
I'm sure all the tariffs are posted in here somewhere, but do you have the links handy perchance? I'd love to leaf though them myself.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by CoreM:

I'm sure all the tariffs are posted in here somewhere, but do you have the links handy perchance? I'd love to leaf though them myself.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2011/b2.htm 2011 Tariff applications for Bell.
»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2012/b2.htm 2012 Tariff applications for Bell.

CoreM

France
Thanks!

Just had a quick look at the tarrifs for GAS from Feb 1st and found this on the GAS FTTN tarrifs:

Note 1: The service charge applies on each GAS-FTTN initial installation, and on all subsequent speed upgrades which require the use of the Company's VDSL modem. In all other cases, the Administration Fee per end-user applies.

In that I would assume that it's understood that some services *require* users to use Bell's modem? They don't list a specific fee but that is in there...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to lleader
Yeah, I can't find anything saying that Bell charges for the modem... It would be nice if somebody at TekSavvy could point out where that is in the tariff.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
I also read thru and searched the tariffs No mention of a Modem rental fee Anywhere. Only place it seems to be mentioned is in relation to the Installation charge which core m quoted above.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.