share rss forum feed

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to creed3020

Re: [DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

They cant afford it , they're broke.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gimli
said by Gimli:

said by creed3020:

I haven't seen a TekSavvy ad on a bus or anywhere for that matter for around two months now. I used to see them on TTC buses and streetcars all the time.

Ellesmere and vic park bus shelter - yesterday

Hmm, didn't drive through that area. I just went by Vic Park and Finch this morning. I don't always go that far south. Good to know that some ads are still out there. I used to see the ads daily on TTC buses that run E-W on Steeles.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by creed3020:

said by Gimli:

said by creed3020:

I haven't seen a TekSavvy ad on a bus or anywhere for that matter for around two months now. I used to see them on TTC buses and streetcars all the time.

Ellesmere and vic park bus shelter - yesterday

Hmm, didn't drive through that area. I just went by Vic Park and Finch this morning. I don't always go that far south. Good to know that some ads are still out there. I used to see the ads daily on TTC buses that run E-W on Steeles.

Maybe STOP-SELL leads to STOP ADVERTS.

I would have too, if I was TSI.
--

"It's COLD in here, Mister (Premier) McGuilty ! - PLEASE, could I have just a wee piece of COAL for the fire ?"
-
Read about : »UBB Nightmare

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Davesnothere:

Maybe STOP-SELL leads to STOP ADVERTS.

I would have too, if I was TSI.

That is a good point because there is a stop sell on McNicoll and Markham POI which are the closest POIs to the Warden & Steeles area. I, however, doubt that level of coordination is the reason for less ads as the decision was probably financial or that ad campaign expired.

theninjasqua

join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON
reply to lleader
This is a big dilemma now. I was committed to upgrading to the 25/7 service once it went live, but now it's an additional $8 a month which bumps up the final monthly price with a dry loop line to almost $80. Going with the 16M plan is $18 less monthly.

However if things change with the modem fee or anything else and I do decide to upgrade down the line, I'll then be on the hook for another $95 upgrade fee. grrr decisons :-/
--
-theninjasquad
»twitter.com/theninjasquad

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to lleader
With the 8$/month mandatory rental fee, the 25 mbit with dry loop is close to 100$/month. Freakin expensive !

The fee should be in the base price and not separate if it's mandatory, same for the access fee, this is as misleading then 911 fee on cellphone bills, in my opinion its just dishonest and could be against quebec laws (thruth in advertising laws).

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
reply to lleader
See if you can buy a vdsl modem compatible with the dslam online. They will only fall in price as vdsl and dsl is phased out completely foe cable and ftth internet.

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc
I'm sure a bulk buy of compatible vdsl modems would solve everything as only a total fool would rent anything except a house in Canada while the housing market crashes.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Chuck sTruck :

I'm sure a bulk buy of compatible vdsl modems would solve everything as only a total fool would rent anything except a house in Canada while the housing market crashes.

But can you use your own DSL modem? That is the question.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to lleader

ADSL vs VDSL

The Cellpipe 7130 for Bell is essentially unavailable for purchase. The only ones available are those rare used Bell ones on eBay, but they may not even have the right firmware for your area.

99.9% of DSL modems won't work, because they don't support VDSL2.

--
Everything Apple

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
reply to geokilla

We don't know yet. Of course if you're with Bell even if you owned a compatible vdsl modem Bell would still charge you when they drop free modem rentals in a years' time. It should be up to Teksavvy, a vdsl modem usually costs between 100 and 125 dollars. It has to be compatible with the given dslam you're on.

pallo

join:2011-12-01
canada
reply to geokilla
said by geokilla:

But can you use your own DSL modem? That is the question.

You should be able to use something like this Zyxel vdsl2 modem but like Eug said, it won't have the special firmware that's found on the Bell cellpipe.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Chuck sTruck
said by Eug:

The Cellpipe 7130 for Bell is essentially unavailable for purchase. The only ones available are those rare used Bell ones on eBay, but they may not even have the right firmware for your area.

99.9% of DSL modems won't work, because they don't support VDSL2.

said by Chuck sTruck :

We don't know yet. Of course if you're with Bell even if you owned a compatible vdsl modem Bell would still charge you when they drop free modem rentals in a years' time. It should be up to Teksavvy, a vdsl modem usually costs between 100 and 125 dollars. It has to be compatible with the given dslam you're on.

I was corrected in the fees thread.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to theninjasqua
said by theninjasqua:

This is a big dilemma now. I was committed to upgrading to the 25/7 service once it went live, but now it's an additional $8 a month which bumps up the final monthly price with a dry loop line to almost $80. Going with the 16M plan is $18 less monthly.

This is where I'm at. I don't need unlimited though.

It was one thing having a piece of equipment in my house that's "B#ell exclusive", quite another to have it AND pay $8 a month for it. Save the $21 a month and not have to deal with the modem rental at all.

Math...

25/7

$52.99 - monthly
$8.00 - modem
$4.00 - MLPPP/Static IP
$9.10 - dry loop
------------------------
$74.09 + HST = $82.98

12/1

$41.99 - monthly
$4.00 - MLPPP/Static IP
$9.10 - dry loop
------------------------
$55.09 + HST = $61.60

The 300GB with no meter late night works for me. My lines won't support the 16, tenant tried it with B#ell, no 16/1 love.

Considering I'm paying through the nose for Cogeco, the 12/1 with TSI seems like a no-brainer. I'm not going to bother bonding 2. I can make due with 12/1 just fine.

Just trying to get my head around the $115 start-up fees, which burn my a$$ to no end. I have to eat the $75 ETF with Cogeco to boot.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil
»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to neuromancer1

Re: Cellpipe modem for 16/1 service

said by neuromancer1:

Of course it's money grab it's just like the Docsis 3.0 modem required for 25MB cable when in reality it's not required. I said it before but as soon they start tracking cable bandwidth over 300GB I'm history switching to better ISP. Please, Ebox move to Ontario with cable we need someone to take the old Teksavvy place.

It's been explained to you 100 times now why 24Mb/s service requires DOCSIS 3.0. Either you're trolling or...
--
Taylor Byrnes

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

Marc,

Are there other modem options?

The Cellpipe 7130 does not even work for many of us:
»[DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs please?

If I'm paying you guys $8/month for the thing I expect you to get me a working modem ASAP - enough pointing the finger at Bell. Find some alternatives for us already. I'll pay to buy something outright as long as the thing will actually work.

Seriously this is not acceptable. I also don't recall hearing anything about a modem rental fee in the tariffs or any of the previous communication from TSI on pricing changes.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Literally: no other modems work with the service. by design or otherwise I don't know but this has been known for months.. even Bell's modem didn't work at first.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
reply to Taylortbb

You explained it and your wrong as Distributel offers 24/1 cable using Docsis 2.0 modem.

BigBenBeaub

join:2011-11-22
reply to BigBenBeaub

said by BigBenBeaub:

said by TSI Marc:

said by BigBenBeaub:

Marc , the new prices for cable in Quebec are coming out today right ?

Very soon.

very soon mean today right ?

Marc, can you anwser this one ?

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to neuromancer1

»www.distributel.ca/en/product.as···ernet_24
RCA Thomson DCM475 Modem (Rent)

For those of you looking for peace of mind, choose a modem rental option.

$4.95
per month

RCA Thomson DCM475 Modem (Purchase)

If you're looking to make an investment, purchasing a modem may be the right choice for you. All modems come with a 12-month

Seems to me they are also Docsis 3.0 too.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to BigBenBeaub

This month for sure.

just working through all the technical issues.. could be a couple weeks still. I know people are anxious.. it'll be worth the wait though.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

frosted

join:2012-01-25
h0h0h0
said by TSI Marc:

This month for sure.

just working through all the technical issues.. could be a couple weeks still. I know people are anxious.. it'll be worth the wait though.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

This month for sure.

wow, love what you guys have done for the industry but to leave us hanging in the dark for the last month on the ever growing Quebec cable thread (which oddly enough you are not placing this info) to drop this on us..pretty bad form.

It would have been easy to mention that you were gong to have to overcome these hurdles last month and the rates would probably not be ready for feb 1

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
Not to mention punishing the 10 mbit DSL customers by charging them $3 more than Ontario's 12 mbit and we can't even upgrade to 16 which is only $1 more without going through the whole ordeal again.

BigBenBeaub

join:2011-11-22

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

This month for sure.

TSI MARTIN said

"I think it's been clear that the price release time line is February 2nd. This is the deadline we have... 5 days!"

»Re: TSI Marc, Quebec cable announcement, when?

so what happen to that ?

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc
Um they still don't. I have 2 lines with 2 modems and both reboot spontaneously. I've been through a zillion replacements and just keep getting the same junk. The firmware is defective on them. Talk to TSI-Martin for the details.

If you are going to be charging $8/month I want a credit - because they don't work!

SK10H

join:2009-06-19
reply to lleader
~$68-69/month total + $99 activation fee, caught me as well a few weeks back just looking at the new price link when doing calculation by just adding $52.95 + dry loop. No chance in "BHell" will I be back having to spent that much after 4 month trial period when it could be $47/month for 220GB.

There's go my plan at my future BHell cancellation threat....

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to lleader
Ok - so putting the whole "the modem is busted and doesn't work" thing aside.

I have some questions:

1) I "lose / my cat pees on / my toddler flushes" my modem. What is the fee I get charged.

2) Let's say I find a modem that works (and trust me I'm looking) or I otherwise acquire a bell modem (see 1) that works. Can I drop the modem rental fee?

steviewhy

join:2007-12-10
reply to Bhruic
said by Bhruic:

said by TSI Marc:

said by mlerner:

It's a fee for new accounts which is probably why no notice was sent out to existing subs.

That's correct..

So just to be very clear, the $8/month modem rental fee only applies to new sign ups, and not to existing customers?

I'd like a confirmation on that one too if possible.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to kovy7
said by kovy7:

Not sure why they ain't just putting that in the price... instead of calling it network fee.

Or why they don't just put the modem rental fee inside the price aswell... since you can't buy the modem either, unless they will soon sell those modems.

This is weird indeed.

I was going to say it'd be dumb to charge a modem rental fee for everyone if you can own it, but if everyone is forced to rent the modem, they should calculate it all in the price.

"Fees" are symptomatic of a time when marketing tried to manipulate people into calling. It's fundamentally dishonest in nature.

Just because most companies do it doesn't mean you should. Reseller customers are usually very educated about these matters, they will support a company that costs 10$ more if they are straightforward and honest.

I know I would.