spc
uniqs

FairPlay
@verizon.net

FairPlay to JALevinworth

Anon

to JALevinworth

Re: [Scam] Card Services relentless phone calls revisited

My take on it is that turnabout is fair play. Do a google search. There are lots of free "callerID" programs out there that take it a step further and allow you to "zap" these calls. I use one called "Phone Tray". As long as your computer remains on, you can program it to play multiple messages in response to specific numbers. You can track the numbers, have it show on your computer caller ID as "Cruise Scam" or "Credit Card Scam", and have it automatically play a SIT tone message or no telemarketing message, etc. phonetray.com and others are out there. Turnabout is fair play.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by FairPlay :

My take on it is that turnabout is fair play. Do a google search. There are lots of free "callerID" programs out there that take it a step further and allow you to "zap" these calls. I use one called "Phone Tray". As long as your computer remains on, you can program it to play multiple messages in response to specific numbers. You can track the numbers, have it show on your computer caller ID as "Cruise Scam" or "Credit Card Scam", and have it automatically play a SIT tone message or no telemarketing message, etc. phonetray.com and others are out there. Turnabout is fair play.

True there are alternatives and probably great ones too, although IMHO you don't have to spend $29.95 (or anything) and must have a phone line through a computer that has to remain on/awake (neither I have, but you might so that's fine) -- when downloading a SIT tone and incorporating it into your existing system works (for me, if you read up thread). Nothing against phonetray if it does for you. Might be a great product if you need/want all that other than just zapping robo-calls which plain and simple SITS does.

Also, a SIT tone isn't a message it's a special frequency tone, which is the one-in-the-same actual ZAP you refer too.

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd

I really shouldn't tempt fate, but the silent treatment seems to have worked for me. After sticking with that approach I have not received a credit card services call in months. I still do the silent treatment on the rare occasion when I see a number or entity I don't recognize showing up on caller ID. Hah! Screw 'em if they won't start the conversation.

I do like the SIT tone trick though, and grabbed the clean wav file recording to put at the beginning of my answering machine message. I figure it couldn't hurt with the onslaught of political calls that are about to start ringing phones off the hook relentlessly. Thanks for the link to the "Telephone Tribute" site!

Ender

FairPlay
@verizon.net

FairPlay to JALevinworth

Anon

to JALevinworth
I didn't spend $$$ on phonetray, and yes, it works for me. I don't have to waste my time. I have it set to answer these calls after one ring, play a variety of messages back at them, then disconnect. Also know what the SIT tone is. phonetray will reproduce it, then disconnect the call.

Either way, they usually get the message and stop calling.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by FairPlay :

I didn't spend $$$ on phonetray, and yes, it works for me. I don't have to waste my time. I have it set to answer these calls after one ring, play a variety of messages back at them, then disconnect. Also know what the SIT tone is. phonetray will reproduce it, then disconnect the call.

Either way, they usually get the message and stop calling.

My mistake, Fairplay.. I misunderstood your reply to me saying other programs (phonetray) can "take it a step further and allow you to zap these calls." as if it was doing something different than CITs.

BtW, "phonetray" is not free past 30 day trial now, even though you didn't pay for it when you got it - others reading this would have to.

-Jim
JALevinworth

JALevinworth to Ender3rd

Anon

to Ender3rd
said by Ender3rd:

I really shouldn't tempt fate, but the silent treatment seems to have worked for me. After sticking with that approach I have not received a credit card services call in months. I still do the silent treatment on the rare occasion when I see a number or entity I don't recognize showing up on caller ID. Hah! Screw 'em if they won't start the conversation.

I hear ya, lol.
said by Ender3rd:

I do like the SIT tone trick though, and grabbed the clean wav file recording to put at the beginning of my answering machine message. I figure it couldn't hurt with the onslaught of political calls that are about to start ringing phones off the hook relentlessly. Thanks for the link to the "Telephone Tribute" site!

Ender

Hey, no problem Boss. Enjoy & Good luck
JALevinworth

JALevinworth to JALevinworth

Anon

to JALevinworth
CITs SITs

once again... my fingers knows not what my brain does.

FairPlay
@verizon.net

FairPlay to JALevinworth

Anon

to JALevinworth
Check the phonetray site. There is still a free version that has fewer features than the pay version. Works for me. As I explained, it allows you to track the numbers and "zap" the calls, either manually or automatically. When I get an unrecognized number, I run it through the various sites online, such as whocalled.us or 800notes, see what it is, and then put it on my zap list with an appropriate message. If I've answered a call myself, and let them know that I'm on the DNC, and tell them to add me to their list, I also add that number and let it play a message that repeats that they need to remove my number from their list. Most calls that I have personally answered ignore my request and just continue to call back, so this is what they get. Turnabout is fairplay!

Just trying to provide an option for others who don't want to talk to these scammers. I know that there are new rules going into effect about robo-calls, but it will never stop the scammers.

Ender3rd
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 recommendation

Ender3rd to JALevinworth

to JALevinworth
said by JALevinworth :

if you set this up, post back how it's working out for you. If get the recording level right, you will note right away the robo calls will disconnect upon hearing the tone (getting deleted out the the bank may take more than one call though... although it's possible it might be due to my recording quality not the exact pitch or they have a set limit to try again, don't know).

I'd be curious to hear how you did.
-Jim

I finally got around to installing the SIT tone at the beginning of my answering machine's message. We simply don't answer any numbers that we don't recognize and let the machine take them. The robo calls click off immediately following the tone. Puzzled people who don't know my voice mumble and hang up. Our friends and family aren't sure what to make of it, but it amuses me. The message I installed is at the link below. Great fun, eh?

»www.w1aex.com/archive/SI ··· sage.mp3

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by Ender3rd:

I finally got around to installing the SIT tone at the beginning of my answering machine's message. We simply don't answer any numbers that we don't recognize and let the machine take them. The robo calls click off immediately following the tone. Puzzled people who don't know my voice mumble and hang up. Our friends and family aren't sure what to make of it, but it amuses me. The message I installed is at the link below. Great fun, eh?

Ahhhaha! Bravo! That's just freakin awesome.

May I have your permission to keep a copy?

-Jim

My shoulders are still rolling as I type this.....

Ender3rd
Connecticut

Ender3rd

Sure, help yourself! It really seems to work well, so thanks for the idea. With the onset of the "political robo-call season" I'm looking forward to hearing the auto-bot robo-callers hangup each time they hear the SIT tone.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by Ender3rd:

Sure, help yourself! It really seems to work well, so thanks for the idea.

Got it. Thanks!
You're very welcome and glad to help.
said by Ender3rd:

With the onset of the "political robo-call season" I'm looking forward to hearing the auto-bot robo-callers hangup each time they hear the SIT tone.

I've gone months and months now having killed off the lists my house number was on, but the politcos are sure to start any time now. Might just use your file when I finally get rid of my old answer machine/manual method and fully automate my flow with that old number. No one that actually knows me uses it anyway.

-Jim