Search similar:

uniqs
spookypuff66
join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO

1 edit

spookypuff66

[BW Meter] Useage meter accuracy?

Turned my computer off 1/31/2001. Turned it back on 2/1/2011.
I immediately checked the usage meter, I had used up 4% of my monthly allotment while the commuter was off??????
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Re: Useage meter accuracy?

And your computer is the only thing that has access to your line ?

The data reading is delayed up to 3 hours I believe.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA

mrschultz02 to spookypuff66

to spookypuff66
What time did you turn it off?

They say there is a delay (I think it's on the page for the meter or in the FAQ). Mine seems to be about 3 hours. What I use from 9 to midnight doesn't show up on the meter until the next day.
rwarrin99
join:2008-02-02
Arvada, CO

rwarrin99

I am seeing the same on my usage meter I looked at this morning before my kid got back on playing WOW and 12 gigs one day. I googled how much WOW should use approx. and people say 20meg an hour not sure if that is acurate. 12 gigs come on something is wrong I am curently trying to find some software that will monitor usage going from the router to the cable modem I don't want something that looks at the router only because the internal network is doing it's own thing I just want to know what is going out to the modem if anyone has any suggestions on the best product I would like to know it because miine was the same 1 day 4% used? Any suggestions?

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious

Premium Member

If you have usage when no devices that you know of are using the connection then you need to look at your wireless security as a neighbor may be using your connection.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to rwarrin99

Premium Member

to rwarrin99
Not a suggestion for the software other than you probably won't find anything to measure the modem data. SNMP is usually disabled from the user side.

You also had up to seven hours use last night after the meter rolled over at 5PM your time, not midnight your time. The meter rolls over on UTC/GMT NOT local time. I'd guess any of the 'delayed up to three hours' would also add to that usage so there may have been up to 10 hours of usage last night plus anything this morning that rolled over to the new month in your case.
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

I am hard wired and have no neighbors.
Understand the roll over time.
My January usage was 103 GBs.
Yesterday morning 2/1/2012 I had used up 4%.
This morning 2/2/2012 I had used up 5%.
I usually start streaming at 17:00 hours , all HD Video, and shut everything down at 21:00 hours. My viewing habits are fairly consistent. Last night I streamed longer and used up 1%.
It doesn't look like its linear.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

Since it looks like it has stabilized somewhat (1%/day) it still looks like it is associated with the rollover and delayed posting.

I'd guess your 'true' January usage was probably 113GB , which includes the slack from Dec, which includes the slack from Nov..........

You would have to put a sensor of some sort(router, proxy, sniffer, whatever) between your modem and router/computer to verify your 'actual' usage/CC meter as well as one on your computer(s) and other devices, if any, that connect to see where it's going/coming from.
rwarrin99
join:2008-02-02
Arvada, CO

rwarrin99

Same here today I just looked and usage now is 5% and only 3 gigs today for the same time period. 12 gigs one day 3 the next I don't do any type of video streaming from netflix or any of those other places thats a big difference. I am not going to worry about it I know its not going through my modem so maybe someone else is on my line outside of my modem.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to spookypuff66

Premium Member

to spookypuff66
I can say it is not that accurate (for my usage). I use Networx on my one and only pc, directly wired to the modem.
It is in the ball park, sort of, but far from accurate.

The most I have ever seen it off was a little shy of 3gb.
Course I'm not all that sure the software I use is accurate either...but I trust it.
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

It has settled down. Only 6% usage total this morning, only added 1% yesterday. Same amount of streaming last night as on previous nights. Looks like I will be able to stay under caps. I love Classical TV.