All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

thisIsJunk
@codamusic.com

thisIsJunk

Anon

unsolicited traffic?

Does unsolicited inbound traffic get metered and count against caps? What if someone targeted you with something like a DDOS would they be able to use up your allotted bandwidth? What about protocol overhead?

Most people dislike the mail service analogy, but seems this is like the post office charging recipients a fee instead of the sender and then we get a huge bill for all the junk mail and ads that I never wanted anyway.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

I think they bill for overhead and maybe rounding as well.

But on the U-Verse side I think they are having a hardtime not counting the video data.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to thisIsJunk

Premium Member

to thisIsJunk
said by thisIsJunk :

Does unsolicited inbound traffic get metered and count against caps? What if someone targeted you with something like a DDOS would they be able to use up your allotted bandwidth? What about protocol overhead?

Yes to all, and more. Unwanted ads. Unwanted malware. Massive patches to software that was defective and buggy. Everything, all traffic, whether you want it or not, or solicit it or not, will be on your dime. You'll pay for everything.

However, this will also make it very easy to prove damages. Since you pay for the unwanted traffic, you have an open and shut case in court about incurring losses. It's quite feasible you could sue apps makers, advertisers, even ISP's because of the "damages" you incur from unwanted traffic.