spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca

OECD Report Wrong. Canada the Best for Internet and Price!

Canadian broadband Internet market healthy: study
»www.montrealgazette.com/business···ory.html

Canadians' broadband Internet service is among the most widely available and least expensive in the developed world, says a report released Thursday.

The report, based on the results of 52 million speed tests of broadband users across the G7 countries and Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) membership, was produced by Montreal-based consulting firm Lemay Yates Associates Inc. on behalf of Rogers Communications Inc., the country's largest broadband service provider.

It disputes the OECD's own report, published in July, that ranked Canada's high-speed Internet offerings significantly below those of other countries.
...fabricated/manipulated research paid for by Rogers continues...

Geist sez:
-Akamai says Canada avg speed tied for 14th and 19th for peak speed. Not really among world's fastest.
-Is 15 of 32 "among world's fastest"?

CFoo

join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON
"produced by Montreal-based consulting firm Lemay Yates Associates Inc. on behalf of Rogers Communications Inc"

That says it all. Its amazing what garbage companies will produce when paid enough money.

jp_zer0

join:2009-07-27
Gatineau, QC
reply to oh LOOK

say what Rogers?

(wow I don't know how to wrestle these images so they don't take up so much space, my bad.)

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to oh LOOK
If you cherry pick the sources, it's easy to make a report say whatever your sponsor wants it to say... And if all sources say the opposite of what you need to say, use anedoctic evidence instead of trends (our broadband is better then most countries in sub-saharian Africa, so it's great !!!!).

Bullshit comes easy to those paid well enough to produce it...

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
In North America, Canada is among the top two... TOP TWO!!!!!! when it comes to speed, price, and availability!

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca
reply to oh LOOK
There's more!!

Per the actual report, Rogers is named as the least expensive and the fastest!
»www.lya.com/en/index.html

the average Rogers broadband subscriber:

Benefits from higher download speeds (average 15.6 Mbps) than the average broadband subscriber in Canada (average 11.5 Mbps)

Pays less for each Megabit per Second of Downstream Speed compared to the average Canadian broadband subscriber($1.99 vs. $2.68 USD PPP)

How about that!

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
kudos:2
Reviews:
·localphone.com

2 edits
Average Rogers speed - 15.6Mbit
Rogers' Price per Mbit - $1.99

Therefore you'd think that the average Rogers price = speed * price = 15.6Mbit * $1.99/Mbit = $31.04... right?

BULL.... SHIT....

Their lowest-priced tier is $35.99. 'Splain that to me.... slowly...

(Hint: They took their fastest tier and used that to get the price - $99.99/50Mbit = $1.99/Mbit). Bunch of A-holes if you ask me...

Edit: And how on earth is the average broadband connection only ~$30/month? That's the MINIMUM around here...

Out of my local incumbents, both of their cheapest/basic packages are several dollars above the average price that was quoted in the report and the only incumbent I've found so far that offers anything around the average is Videotron for 5Gigs a month.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
reply to oh LOOK
Typical monthly fee of USD$30.79??? Really? In Canada? I tought it would have been more like $45.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
reply to oh LOOK
Thanks for posting this article.

It goes to show you how much sway the incumbents have and will exercise. The scary part is we don't get full disclosure on how they do this same basic crap with the CRTC with 'golfing'....

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com

1 edit
said by creed3020:

Thanks for posting this article.

It goes to show you how much sway the incumbents have and will exercise. The scary part is we don't get full disclosure on how they do this same basic crap with the CRTC with 'golfing'....

Yea seriously. Who is the intended audience for these reports anyway? Anyone who would actually make an important decision based on a report like this could see through the bullsh*t in an instant.

The only reason I can see for this thing is so someone at Rogers can give themselves a pat on the back...

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca
reply to oh LOOK
Even more info!

Consulting firm Lemay Yates Associates Inc., which produced this report on behalf of Rogers Communications Inc. has holding in both Rogers Communications and Bell.

It's stated at the 6-minute 52-second mark:
»watch.bnn.ca/#clip576803

So in other words, not only does Lemay Yates Associates Inc. work for Rogers, they have a financial vested interest in Rogers.

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca
reply to jp_zer0
More Info Again!

Lemay Yates Associates Inc., who works for Rogers and have a financial vested interest in Rogers, who did the report based on speed tests never bothered with the millions upon million of speed tests by Speedtest.net, »www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/, which ranks Canada in the 34th position speed wise.

We are beat out by enormous super-power countries such as; Estonia, Latvia, Macau, Andorra, Aland Islands, Malta, Republic of Moldova, and that technology superior super-power country of Kyrgyzstan!

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
None of those countries have mountains, vast plains, rodents, winters... Penguins and polar bears! It's really expensive to lay Fibre to the Igloo to our flightless neighbours and furry friends.

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON
Do we have penguins? I thought they were at the South Pole.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
We have penguins like Canada has the best Internet speeds and prices.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to travisc
said by travisc:

Do we have penguins? I thought they were at the South Pole.

You're right. The only place in Canada you're going to find penguins is at a Zoo.

So maybe the Toronto Zoo is investing in their exhibits? :P You know... making the animals more comfortable with Netflix subscriptions and 60" TVs.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to travisc
We have to IMPORT those penguins and that's why it is so darn expensive. :P

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to oh LOOK
Well guys, if Rogers says we have one of the best internetz, then it must be true. Good enough for me, no need to call retentions to hagle a better price.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
reply to Oinktastic
From the looks of it, rogers gas a 10$ internet plan... for their phones. Does anybody have access to the full report (and is it detailed enough) to see if they are considering phone data plans in their broadband costs survey?

Bell was pulling that BS when they were quoting internet usage averages.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to oh LOOK
Cue Goldberg et al. heralding a report that "finally gets it right"

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to CFoo
said by CFoo:

"produced by Montreal-based consulting firm Lemay Yates Associates Inc. on behalf of Rogers Communications Inc"

HAHAHA... wow...
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to oh LOOK
Canada has unlimited DNS requests for 0$ month with a 5$ simcard purchase! very high value !

This is why I don't read the news very often. How many times have I been disappointed picking up a newspaper, reading a half-page that has _barely_ 3-4 lines of actual content... and if you're lucky, it's somewhat relevant.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
reply to DSL_Ricer
said by DSL_Ricer:

From the looks of it, rogers gas a 10$ internet plan... for their phones. Does anybody have access to the full report (and is it detailed enough) to see if they are considering phone data plans in their broadband costs survey?

They also have an iPad flex plan that starts at $5. That includes....... 10MB! That's what, 2 webpages?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

In North America, Canada is among the top two... TOP TWO!!!!!! when it comes to speed, price, and availability of BULLSHIT statistical reports.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to grunze510
said by grunze510:

said by DSL_Ricer:

They also have an iPad flex plan that starts at $5. That includes....... 10MB! That's what, 2 webpages?

Sometimes 3 !

Might as well MILK it.

--

"It's COLD in here, Mister (Premier) McGuilty ! - PLEASE, could I have just a wee piece of COAL for the fire ?"
-
Read about : »UBB Nightmare

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to oh LOOK
Today it's a report that supports a Rogers worldview.
Previously this same firm produced a report tabled at CRTC hearing which supported indies.

I don't know why, but I have a sudden recollection of a refrain from a Bob Dylan song:
"The answer my friends
is blowing in the wind.
The answer is blowing in the wind."

Splitskull

join:2006-12-17
reply to oh LOOK
Bhahaha... This article is silly....

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS
reply to Davesnothere
said by ekster:

In North America, Canada is among the top two... TOP TWO!!!!!! when it comes to speed, price, and availability of BULLSHIT statistical reports.

That reminds me of that Mercer Report skit about Canada being a leader in high speed rail studies.