CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

What does it matter?

quote:
and in one instance a nuclear engineer struggles with overage billing confusion -- making you wonder how normal users fare.
How is a Nuclear Engineer any different then any other regular user? Do they use the internet differently then I do?
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

No the article meant that Nuclear Engineers are smarter that the "regular user". Are you a Nuclear Engineer? You're dumb if you're not, cause obviously every smart person is a Nuclear Engineer...

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

Maybe it took a Nuclear Engineer to understand the correlation.
NetKrazy
join:2007-11-29
Littleton, CO

1 recommendation

NetKrazy

It was Karls attempt as always to insight anger and the big evil corporations. Ofcourse the nuclear engineer never bothered to change from his default password? (Anyone else catch that and feel a little worried).

And the second part of his complaint is that the service provide couldn't tell him "where all the traffic was to / from" Yet, I have no problem believing if they "did tell them" Karl would have posted how that provider is tracking all the customers traffic! PRIVACY VIOLATION!!!!!

Also while yes counters are off they are different... //overhead// is still viable to be included. Including that in the sum total of traffic is not "wrong" or "broken" it is however something that will make people like us stomp our feet. But a meter that includes overhead I would not say is "broken"
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

Yeah, I didn't want to sound condescending or disrespect Karl - I always read his news and it's definitely a big attraction on DSLR.
However, I feel a little uneasy from time to time, because the way I see his writing - it is very sensationalist and the sarcastic bias (I did put sarcastic) takes away from the credibility.
As in Karl puts the facts in such a light, where immediate action or even a revolt is almost implied, yet no tangible action is produced by the readers. It is a lot like Keiser Report about the banking industry, Max Keiser keeps screaming Financial Terrorists, Thiefs, points to actual facts, but nothing comes of it - effectively invalidating the entire presentation.
NetKrazy
join:2007-11-29
Littleton, CO

NetKrazy

Agreed, but I will also in the same breath say that while I might criticize Karl and others.. I will also tip my hat to him. He's brought to light several things over the years that *needed* to be. And I do think his nature and the way he does do some of his writing does infact get results... I guess if you dig deep enough you can always find the bad and or good side to the same thing. I would like to see a bit more of positive articles though that don't three lines in reference something historic the company on topic did wrong :P

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90 to NetKrazy

Anon

to NetKrazy
I agree. His articles always have a very anti big corporation slant. It does reduce the credibility. Focusing on some positive things once in a while would be nice, but I guess that would not draw the readers.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to ilianame

Premium Member

to ilianame
said by ilianame:

No the article meant that Nuclear Engineers are smarter that the "regular user". Are you a Nuclear Engineer? You're dumb if you're not, cause obviously every smart person is a Nuclear Engineer...

Since they are not building any new nuclear plants right now, getting a nuclear engineering degree is not that smart.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

wouldn't be said the same for those who do degree in IT, because most jobs are outshored to India? Many folks find themselves finishing 4 year college but ending up at start as tech support for win servers working night shifts. its a step above a call center but....

If I did accounting or finance instead, I'd probably have little more "normal" life and more things going on in my social life. Just saying
desarollo
join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

desarollo to CableTool

to CableTool
No, but they probably use it differently than you do.

I think the premise here is that a nuclear engineer possesses mathematics, set and statistics skills above the average consumer (go ahead, try to refute that). Therefore, if someone with these specialized skills can't figure out the metering, how is someone with a different skill set not so reliant upon mathematics?

dslfan90
@sbcglobal.net

dslfan90

Anon

The statement implies that if you are not a nuclear engineer, you are not smart enough to figure out something that one nuclear engineer could not understand.

The comparison was not well made. Tracking bandwidth overage has nothing to do with the field of nuclear engineering. There is no reason why someone who is not a nuclear engineer could understand it while a nuclear engineer could not.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Do you want to know who the stupidest people are when it comes to computer problems??
Computer Science majors

I used to work computer tech support for a major university. Computer science majors call up and act like they know computers, but they are just a pain in the ass as they barely know how to turn one on.
Just because you can write a program in C++ does not mean you know anything about computers, lol.