how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TMar

join:2006-12-05
Gilbertsville, KY

[KY] 'Area outages' have been happen far too frequently

There was several last month including one 10+ hour one. Two this week with last nights being from 2am and was still out till I went to bed at 6am. They all happen after 12am and last 2-8+ hours and every time I tweet mediacom support it's always an 'area outage'. It's starting to get a little old.

And since someone will ask even when it's an area outage...

40.6dB
9.6 dBmv down
35 dBmv up

TMar

Gilbertsville, KY
Down again tonight 2am on the dot.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
Midnight to 6 am is the declared maintenance window for Mediacom, so they have the right (can't think of a better word) to disconnect your service during that time window for maintenance. Apparently they must be making significant changes with their head end or backbone connections in your market area to require this many disconnects. I would take these disconnects as a good sign that improvements are happening in your area.

alarson83

join:2007-01-06
West Des Moines, IA
There's been a few of these dropouts in des moines lately too.

Definitely understand the OP though. Internet is more like a necessary utility like electricity than just a luxury nowadays. It would be unacceptable if once a week your electricity dropped out for an hour, it probably shouldnt be considered acceptable for internet to regularly drop out either, even in the middle of the night.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by alarson83:

It would be unacceptable if once a week your electricity dropped out for an hour, it probably shouldnt be considered acceptable for internet to regularly drop out either, even in the middle of the night.

Mediacom sells telephone service also. They try to get customers to buy into a VIP pak which bundles TV, Internet and telephone service.

One can easily live without the tv working. You can also live without Internet service altho as you point out, internet is near mandatory these days.

Not having the telephone work can kill you. Do these outages affect the telephone service too??

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
said by Lazy Senior:

Not having the telephone work can kill you. Do these outages affect the telephone service too??

they cover them selves with the "phone service" by stating that its for "entertainment purposes only" and that you should have a cell phone for a backup.

one reason i just ported my number over to a cellphone, i mean hey if i should have a cell phone any way.....

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to alarson83
"Internet is more like a necessary utility like electricity than just a luxury nowadays. It would be unacceptable if once a week your electricity dropped out for an hour, it probably shouldnt be considered acceptable for internet to regularly drop out either, even in the middle of the night."

This is quite true. Just this week I've gotten several morning e-mails from my daughter's school reminding us about things that day that hadn't been clarified in the announcements the day before. While I do have a backup prepaid cell phone in case of a phone outage, I cannot justify getting a more expensive cell phone plan for $50-70 a month that includes data so I can access e-mail and the web.

That being said, while the hours between 12 and whatever are known to be "maintenance" windows, if the maintenance is going to be that frequent and they're doing significant upgrades, customers should absolutely be notified in advance so they can seek workarounds or at least be in the know. A maintenance downtime every few months or so might not be so bad. I still think if they know in advance that they could be more proactive about warning people. Sometimes I have events scheduled in online games I play and knowing that there was going to be maintenance on a particular night would help me alter my schedule. When I don't show up, that leaves 4-9 other people hanging. And yes, it's a game, but so is bowling and whatever other hobbies other people have that are offline. Yanking service down for planned maintenance without telling customers is the equivalent of the mechanic showing up and towing your car to the garage do work on it without telling you.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

they cover them selves with the "phone service" by stating that its for "entertainment purposes only" and that you should have a cell phone for a backup.

Ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous!! When do they tell you this? I have never seen it in any advertisements.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
said by Lazy Senior:

said by thedragonmas:

Ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous!! When do they tell you this? I have never seen it in any advertisements.

its way down in the fine print, they aparantly dont say entertainment purposes any more, »mediacomcable.com/pdf/M732-11939···1_aj.pdf

911 Notice
IFYOUR ELECTRICAL POWERAND/OR MEDIACOM’S NETWORK IS NOT
OPERATING,YOUWILL LOSE SERVICE, INCLUDING 911 EMERGENCY
SERVICE. Mediacom Phone service relies on external power to operate and, as with
an electric-powered cordless phone, should there be a power outage it will not
operate.YOU MAYWANT TO MAINTAINALTERNATIVE SERVICE, SUCHAS
A CELL PHONE, IN CASE OFAN OUTAGE.

they all so reserve the right to do maintnance

7. Interruption.MCC, without incurring any liability whatsoever, may make
“Scheduled Interruptions” (i.e., interruptions of Service scheduled in advance for
maintenance, testing or other administrative purposes) at any time (i) to ensure your
compliance with thisAgreement; (ii) to ensure proper installation and operation of
your and MCC’s equipment and facilities; (iii) to prevent fraudulent use of or access
to the Services; or (iv) to perform any other maintenance, testing or inspection
reasonably required for the provision of Services hereunder. If your Service must be
interrupted due to maintenance, MCC will use commercially reasonable efforts to
notify you in advance, if possible, via a website prescribed for scheduled outage
messages.

which they are refereing to »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/ (top left, of course if like my area you end up with about a dozen buttons with the same freakin name you get to a point where you dont bother to check it, they where suposadly working on that over a year ago, but never did emplament any thing, and im not clicking all those buttons every day to check on planned outages)

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
reply to TMar
I know there has been quite a bit of work in our Kentucky markets recently. I can check your connection closer if you would like to IM me your phone number or account number.

Juneau

@mchsi.com
reply to Lazy Senior
"Ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous!! When do they tell you this? I have never seen it in any advertisements."

Not required to be in the advertisements. But if you bothered to read the terms of service, instead of just clicking through because you can't be bothered, you would know these things. But then again, if you have a comprehension problem it wouldn't help to read, would it?

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by Juneau :

But if you bothered to read the terms of service, instead of just clicking through because you can't be bothered, you would know these things. But then again, if you have a comprehension problem it wouldn't help to read, would it?

Why do you continue to attack me personally?

Here is another truth. After my experience with Mediacom's internet/TV service being unreliable I would have to be stupid to even consider them for Telephone service. Why would I ever read the TOS for Mediacom telephone service? I would not use it if they gave it to me free.

IMO telephone service HAS to be reliable. It has to work everytime I want or need to make a call. My wife works "on call". Not being able to receive a work call would cost us $$ and she could lose her job.

FWIW I use Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connect for my telephone service. $20 a month, 100 percent reliable, free long distance, call forwarding, caller ID, voice mail, unlimited non timed calling, it is not VOIP and TOS does not tell me I need a backup. LMAO

TMar

Gilbertsville, KY

2 edits
reply to TMar
Down again, hour plus so far and counting. You rule Mediacom.