Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

essextech

join:2002-02-25
Essex, CT

Sure is dead around here

Well now...

What a difference in this forum these past several months...

I remember years ago, when this was a pretty hoppin' place. I remember when we were all sharing our thoughts on TCP Window size, CO versus remote terminal, and home runs.

I remember when this used to double as the Connecticut chat forum.

Hell, I remember 'Disconnected' before he was 'Disconnected.'

So I guess everyone just said the hell with it, and has cable now?

I think about switching, now and again. I know my little 5.1 megabit connection is pretty obsolete. It's just enough to get Netflix HD... once it spools up for a bit.

At least it's reliable. I couldn't help but chuckle when we had the hurricane, and *everyone* I knew with cable was out. My POTS and DSL were up the whole time.

And I like the fact that it's an industry standard, and I can use whatever modem and router I damn well please.

But it's been the same for years now.

What is to become of us poor slobs that live on the shoreline, with UVerse to the east, west and north, and a local cable system that is perhaps the second oldest in the state, aside from Groton's?

Will the telco ever have anything new to offer here?

meskinct
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
Reviews:
·Charter
I know I made the move to cable and am very happy. I had service the whole time through the hurricane and snowstorm as well. I also use my own modem as I don't use their voice service. I have two VOIP lines with VoIP.ms and that works great for me.

It's all about finding what is going to suit your needs and meets your price point.

If DSL is the only choice for you, then I guess it's better than nothing.

To me, it seems AT&T is content on letting landlines die and is much more focused on wireless for the time being.
--
Rich. My Website

laprjns
Premium
join:2002-03-11
Ellington, CT
reply to essextech
DSL peaked out for me at 1.2Mbps and was desperately waiting for U-verse to come after seeing the AT&T trucks in the neighborhood installing the equipment for U-verse. 10 months after, with no word from AT&T on the availability of U-verse, I finally succumbed to the lure Comcast. The week after I had Comcast installed I got a U-verse brochure in the mail saying it now was available. Too late! Since then I've loved the Comcast internet speed but never really have been pleased with Comcast itself. So just the other night a couple of AT&T U-verse sales people knocked on my door and an hour later I was signed up. U-verse install scheduled for Feb 10!

fphall
The Guardian
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT
said by laprjns:

DSL peaked out for me at 1.2Mbps and was desperately waiting for U-verse to come after seeing the AT&T trucks in the neighborhood installing the equipment for U-verse. 10 months after, with no word from AT&T on the availability of U-verse, I finally succumbed to the lure Comcast. The week after I had Comcast installed I got a U-verse brochure in the mail saying it now was available. Too late! Since then I've loved the Comcast internet speed but never really have been pleased with Comcast itself. So just the other night a couple of AT&T U-verse sales people knocked on my door and an hour later I was signed up. U-verse install scheduled for Feb 10!

Well, I guess you lucked out. Here in Bristol I have been waiting years for u-verse. In fact there is a Vrad right near the RT where I get my obsolete 3 meg DSL from, but alas U-verse is not available at my house. But then again I don’t believe there are any caps on my old DSL like on U-verse, and my Dish TV is working fine... Maybe I’m not so unlucky after all.

wolfmoonct

join:2002-10-01
Brooklyn, CT
There are caps on any DSL over 1.5. I'm in Brooklyn, and I'll never see anything better than 6MB here from ATT. I had Charter for about 8 months.. when it worked it was fast as hell. I paid for 16Mb and got 23Mb.. But then I went through about 3 months of non stop high packet loss.. it may run for about an hour then I'd get 100% packet loss for about 30 seconds or so, then it would come back. Since I do server admin work from home, constant disconnects to my servers was just not acceptable. Charter tried to give me every excuse in the book. So I went back to ATT with DirecTV bundle.. and it's been a rock steady service since, once i forced ATT to get me off the PG they put me on and put me on the DPG i knew was available in the box I come out of. I also HATED Charters lame DVR.. horrible menu's.. but I LOVE the DirecTV DVR.

I'd love to have a 20Mb+ service, with the old 3Mb up I had.. but I need stability and I'm afraid if I go back to Charter, they are just gonna have the same issues still.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to essextech
I had DSL for years as well.. it was very reliable and I had no problems with it, but when I moved, it just didn't seem competitive anymore. I've had the Charter bundle (triple play) for over 2 years now, and AT&T simply can't compete. I'd have to slash my speeds and install a dish... to barely break even give or take a few bucks...

I was hoping U-Verse would be around, but it looks like a nonstarter in eastern CT... I'm starting to wonder if AT&T DSL/landline is just being allowed to slowly fade into the sunset...

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to essextech
I am kind of surprised they haven't combined all the region forums yet. There is little to no difference between regions now. All of the regions such as snet, ameritech, swbt, and pacbell are all pretty much on the same type of PPPoE platform now.

I am kind of shocked they don't combine it, as the ATM based dslams are getting replaced with IPDSLAMs everyone would be uverse internet sooner or later by DSLAM.

I suspect over time as more and more people convert to uverse or leave to cable, the forums will dwindle down even further.

Don't know why they just don't convert it to a at&t dsl forum and just combine all the participants. Anyone with Uverse internet already has this happening anyway.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!