uniqs
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor

Premium Member

U.S. shuts 16 sports piracy websites pre-Super Bowl

The websites are firstrow.tv, firstrowsports.com, firstrowsports.net, firstrowsports.tv, hq-streams.tv, robplay.tv, soccertvlive.net, sports95.com, sports95.net, sports95.org, sportswwe.net, sportswwe.tv, sportswwe.com, xonesports.tv, youwwe.com and youwwe.net.

As prosecutors announced the seizure on Thursday, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, expected to start in Sunday's Super Bowl against the New York Giants, admitted to reporters his own use of an illegal website.

"Last year, you know, I was rehabbing my foot, you know, in Costa Rica, watching the game on an illegal Super Bowl website," he said in a video posted Thursday on the NFL website. "And now I'm actually playing in the game. So it's pretty cool."

The defendant charged in the case is Yonjo Quiroa, 28, who faces one count of criminal infringement of a copyright.

Prosecutors said Quiroa, also known as Ronaldo Solano, operated his websites from his home in Comstock Park, Michigan, prior to his Wednesday arrest, receiving at least $13,000 from online merchants who advertised with him.

Lawrence Phelan, a lawyer for the defendant, said Quiroa was in federal custody and expected to be transferred to New York, after having appeared on Wednesday in a Grand Rapids, Michigan federal court. Phelan declined to comment on the case.

The complaint against Quiroa outlines his alleged piracy efforts from February 2010 to January 2012.

It concludes by saying a U.S. Department of Homeland Security enforcement agent posing as a WWE representative last week offered to buy various domain names associated with the defendant, and received a response offering to "make a deal."

Prosecutors will seek the forfeiture of the domain names for the 16 seized websites.

Full article here
»news.yahoo.com/sports-pi ··· nfl.html

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

Last year DHS was going into stores seizing "non-authorized" NFL jerseys in the weeks before the Super Bowl.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Funny how the Department of Homeland Security is bothering with such bullshit...

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member
join:2011-06-11

OZZY7 to sailor

Premium Member

to sailor
Strange year to even be serving up a pirated SB broadcast... It's going to be streaming on NBC for FREE, and even outside of the USA all one would probably need to watch it is a USA based VPN solution.

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie to fatness

to fatness
Sweep nets $157,000 in phony NFL merchandise in Florida

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

So it's becoming a yearly event, like Punxatawny Phil.

A lot of money is spent on advertising connected with the Super bowl. I guess this is the government's way of getting free publicity. 5 or 10 years from now they'll probably go after viewers if sales resulting from Super Bowl ads fall below what's expected.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

1 edit

AB57 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Funny how the Department of Homeland Security is bothering with such bullshit...

Obviously they've concluded terrorists love watching the Superbowl.

I watched it online for the second year in a row. Last year, I watched one HQ stream all the way through. This year, I had to find alternative streams three times during the game as channels were taken offline, and the quality of streams were not as good as last year. Yet quite watchable nonetheless.
I probably missed 8 or 10 plays total while searching for new feeds.

I went to NBC Sports to see if I could watch it there, but I was required to install Silverlight, and installing Silverlight to watch only one event is not something I felt like doing.
You can watch many shows on NBC with only Flash installed, but NFL games are not one of them.

*Edit- According to this on the DSLR front page, NBC's Silverlight stream was nothing to write home about anyway.

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to sailor

Premium Member

to sailor
I remember quite a few got shut down last year too, and more popped up with new names. Same thing will happen again.
Expand your moderator at work