spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH

Got a tunnel from SixXS...how do i route it to my lan?

So i got a tunnel from SixXS and the tunnel is up. It is a static tunnel directly into my Cisco router and i am able to ping and traceroute IPV6 sites from my Cisco. Now here is my question,

Hurricane Electric will route you a /64 to your tunnel point to point /64 so you can use IPV6 on your internal Lan. SixXS does not do that right away...is their a way i can use IPV6 on my internal Lan without getting routed a /64? I'm thinking their must be a way, or they wouldn't route you a /64 to begin with...since that's more IP's than people on the earth.

Thanks all!

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
Yes and no. So if you had a entire /64 routed to the VLAN or tunnel endpoint you could use proxy-ndp.

... but sixxs is only giving you a single address ::2 within that /64.

You will need to apply for a routed /48 (you'll probably have to wait a week for the credits).

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to erikthebean
Is there some reason you aren't using Hurricane Electric? There are no hoops to jump thru, no waiting. In addition to the routed /64 you can get an additional /48 too.

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH
Yea I wanted to try Sixxs due to the hops to the closest pop (around 5 to Boston) but i have just set up HE, and it works like a champ. Now if i can only figure out how ipv6 works...

Thanks!

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Is there some reason you aren't using Hurricane Electric? There are no hoops to jump thru, no waiting. In addition to the routed /64 you can get an additional /48 too.

Maybe he wants to reach Cogent.

It could also be HE's nearest PoP is full. I know that was the case with Chicago a few months ago and I setup a sixxs tunnel instead.

Of course if HE is closer and better latency, you should go with it.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to erikthebean
said by erikthebean:

Now if i can only figure out how ipv6 works...

Pretty much the same as IPv4 with the exception of larger addresses and NDP.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to erikthebean
Many sites on IPv6, here's one:

»linux-sxs.org/networking/ipv6_fo···ers.html

The Hurricane Electric site also hosts an excellent forum.