All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

hpc99
@comcast.net

hpc99 to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20

Re: How do I check my printer cartridge levels?

said by Mele20:

The HP Toolbox is a function of HP SOFTWARE which only works on the version of Windows you originally bought the printer with.

In late 2000, got an DeskJet 932 to use on my 98SE box. When I moved on to XP Pro the printer driver defaulted to HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C and I lost the toolbox... however, I found the original HP DeskJet 930C series driver on the HP site and installed it. The toolbox returned and I have been using it ever since (XP Pro, Service Pack 3 on a Dell Dimension 8400) - So it is not entirely true that the HP Toolbox only works on the version of Windows you originally bought the printer with... at least that is my experience with the 932 series DeskJet.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It worked for you because HP issued an XP driver specific to that printer. HP did not do this for 880C series. Believe me, I scoured the net for a driver...even a third party one....I found one at some big driver site and read user reviews that it was junk but I tried it anyway and it didn't work. I recall a lot of complaints about HP not issuing an XP driver for us but forcing us to use the generic driver for XP. I bet it was because I bought mine in 1999 and you bought yours in 2000. Cut off for XP support was probably end of 1999 so any printer manufactured and sold before 2000 would not get XP support. I'm glad you got an XP driver and the toolbox...I'm jealous too.

This was my point about HP, Visioneer, etc that rely on software specific to one version of Windows for tools or even any sort of use of the hardware with another version of Windows. These companies should not do that or, at least, should be clear with buyers regarding the limitations.

Hmmm....I went to check in Device Manager to see what driver it is using. Device Manager says the printer is not connected to the computer. Of course, it is connected and working. Connected via USB. I don't recall it showing unconnected in the past because it is on USB....but I haven't checked it in ages.