spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hotshotjiji

join:2012-02-02
Nepean, ON

Which is better right now? Distributel or TekSavvy?

So, I'm currently with Rogers right now and I don't like their service anymore so I've started looking for better ISP and found out about Distributel and TekSavvy.

And from what I've been seeing,

Distributel: Bad before but became really great like few months ago
TekSavvy: Great before but is starting to get bad or already bad

Are those true and to which ISP should I transfer?

PS: I live in Ottawa if that would help

kenze

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC

said by Hotshotjiji:

So, I'm currently with Rogers right now and I don't like their service anymore so I've started looking for better ISP and found out about Distributel and TekSavvy.

Teksavvy's once stellar customer service is long gone, so I'd go with Distributel (they are really big in Quebec. ads everywhere, it's crazy for a small ISP.) I trust they can provide you with adequate service.

Also, I read a few reviews from Ontario users with Distributel and they seem satisfied.

I think you can get unlimited 24mbps for 49.99 with them.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Hotshotjiji

I have Distributel, and let me tell you, they've jumped by leaps and bounds. I've been with them for over 4yrs, and man when it was bad (3web) it was bad...

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

There used to be many "3web sucks" and "Acanac sucks" threads here. So many in fact that "<isp> sucks" was a trademark of those 2 (who are not under the distributel umbrella).

But in the last year, I have noticed a sharp decline of such complaints. So it appears that Distributel has fixed a lot of the problems.

I am not a customer of theirs, so I can't judge the actual experience, just commenting on my impression based on DSLR discussions.

JoeRR

@distributel.net
reply to Hotshotjiji

Switched from TSI to Distributel recently. So far it's been excellent.

Hotshotjiji

Nepean, ON
reply to jfmezei

Aren't those 2 part of Distributel now? And which is better? DSL or Cable internet?

Also, I might pick Distributel because of what you guys said. Thanks about that. I've also noticed that there was a lot of complains about them during 2009-2010 then when I searched for reviews on them during 2011-2012, most of the comments were positive while the other way around is happening with Teksavvy.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

Distributel is currently advertising big in Québec. Saw their ads in the métro tonight. Unlimited cable internet for $37.

eboxnat

join:2011-05-06
Montreal, QC
kudos:6

said by jfmezei:

Distributel is currently advertising big in Québec. Saw their ads in the métro tonight. Unlimited cable internet for $37.

It's only been a few days that those ads are out and about, they're really flashy :P
I'm glad we don't have (need) flashy ads.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Hotshotjiji

said by Hotshotjiji:

Aren't those 2 part of Distributel now? And which is better? DSL or Cable internet?

Also, I might pick Distributel because of what you guys said. Thanks about that. I've also noticed that there was a lot of complains about them during 2009-2010 then when I searched for reviews on them during 2011-2012, most of the comments were positive while the other way around is happening with Teksavvy.

Like I said somewhere else, I've been with 3web and now Distributel for about 4-5yrs, been through hell and highwater with them too.

Right now things work really well, wait times for support is negligible, and they actually respond to emails.

Unlike the BellSavvy that just turfed 56 bodies and you know wait times are going to get worse there.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Hotshotjiji

Well, I just decided to make the switch from Cogeco back to DSL.

I decided on going back to Teksavvy.

I did have a couple of other options but IMHO they weren't quite as attractive.

I'm also [painfully] aware of the threads deriding Teksavvy and their purported decline in customer service, yada yada.

But I spend quite some time with Teksavvy in the past, both at home here and former places of employment. They always treated me well. The service was top notch. I have a profound respect for Rocky and the charges he's led up the Hamburger Hill that is our telecom landscape.

On that basis, I went with Teksavvy. They've already earned my respect. I figured it I should at least give them the opportunity to keep it or lose it.

Order confirmed. Install Feb 9.

Feels good to be getting back with them. Real good.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil
»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

Astronomicon

@bell.ca
reply to elwoodblues

Does Distributel throttle their cable customers?

pmarcovi

join:2009-06-29
Woodbridge, ON

Right now, Distributel definitely! I used to be a Teksavvy customer, nothing much to complain, just the fact they promised me cable service, charged me for it, just to tell me later that is not possible. I got refunded, but it left me with a bitter taste. Distributel delivered on all fronts: they provided cable service at the promised speed, sent free modem, they have much faster customer service, better prices, no throttling.

Hotshotjiji

Nepean, ON

Which modem are they giving for free?

pmarcovi

join:2009-06-29
Woodbridge, ON

Motorola 5101N which is good for the 12 and 15 Mbps service. For 24 Mbps, you need to purchase another modem (DOCSIS 3, I do not remember the model, it is on their website) for $99 or rent it for $5/month.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Astronomicon

said by Astronomicon :

Does Distributel throttle their cable customers?

Nope

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Hotshotjiji

Distributel or TekSavvy ?

aka

Well, kids, do you want Spinach or Brussels Sprouts tonight with dinner ?

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada

said by Davesnothere:

aka

On Acanac, and I'm enjoying my unlimited trips to the buffet table quite a bit.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

said by Samgee:

said by Davesnothere:

aka

On Acanac, and I'm enjoying my unlimited trips to the buffet table quite a bit.

"Cuttlefish and Asparagus, or Vanilla Paste?"

"Hold on Kyle, I believe in you!"

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Hotshotjiji

Haven't tried the former yet, but I will be soon. I just signed up for Distributel's 24Mbps cable internet yesterday. Installation is on the 17th. If all goes smoothly I will be dropping my Teksavvy 6Mbps DSL next month.
Seems a lot of people are happy with their service in the Distributel thread on RFD. Lot of the speed results for the 15/24 tiers look promising. I just hope my area is good.

For over the past year I've been waiting for Teksavvy to bring cable to Barrie, but I see now that's not going to happen, no where in the near future at least. So I'm done waiting.

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to Hotshotjiji

Complaints from Teksavvy customers have skyrocketed in recent months and it's not getting any better. They're on steady downhill slide since Rocky has been absent. Marc may be good with the technical stuff but the business side is suffering.

bfksc
Unlimited on Distributel

join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON
reply to Hotshotjiji

said by Hotshotjiji:

Which modem are they giving for free?

With the price increases that other carriers have announced, Distributel has maintained their pricing structure. However, they require that you now purchase or rent a modem from them on all tiers and plans, both DSL and Cable. No more free Motorola modems unless you're already a customer and you continue to use their free modems.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to Hotshotjiji

If it doesn't offer ADSL2 or VDSL2, I'm not interested.

You can't get ADSL2 or VDSL2 with Distributel in Ontario. For that reason alone, I'd go with Teksavvy. With regular DSL, I can stably only get 3 Mbps service from the CO.

Cable in my area with Teksavvy isn't really a consideration, because I'd be on the McNicoll POI, and TSI has been having a very hard time keeping up with demand in this region. Lots of slowdowns over the past 1.5 years. I had even installed a bunch of cable lines to my home office back in fall 2010 to switch from 3 Mbps DSL to cable, but held off because of the cable problems, and then went straight to 25/7 on VDSL2.

After having been on 25/7 VDSL2, I'd hate going back to regular DSL, even at 5ish Mbps. I think my minimum would be 10 or 12 Mbps ADSL2, with 16 Mbps preferred. (TSI doesn't offer 7 Mbps up on 12 or 16, and 7 Mbps up is great too, but not critical for my needs.)

Netflix alone tops out at about 5 Mbps, but wants a cushion above that to allow max quality. However, it's not pleasant when one person just watching an HD stream can max out your entire internet bandwidth. Having 12 Mbps down means you can simultaneously watch an HD stream and download a large file, and still have excellent surfing speeds.

--
Everything Apple

LuasYlor

join:2012-03-06
Gloucester, ON
reply to jfmezei

Re: Which is better right now? Distributel or TekSavvy?

I am a Distributel cable internet fugitive in Ottawa. After a decent uptime run (about 90% uptime ) over the 6 months I was on their service, I got hit with a Rogers-related outage that took me out for, well, I'm still out.
It's been a week as of today.

Whether or not the problem was from Rogers, outage, which was fixed in a couple of days, or from Distibutel's end, is irrelevant to my beef with them, and here's why.......

After 12 hour's outage, I attempted to call them. On hold for 45 minutes, got fed up. Tried the next day, same thing, hold for 45 minutes, then quit. Went to a friend's to get online, started googling "Distributel outage" "Distributel support", and Distributel complaints".

WOW!! The internet is FLOODED with complaints about Distributel with almost all the same content... Distributel does *not* answer their support lines, and do *not* return calls to the "leave your return number here" numbers left at the dropzone. If you have a problem with your Distributel connection, you are screwed and forgotten apparently until you quit their service. I say this because of personal experience, and a simple search thru Google will confirm it.

Don't take my word for it, think, search, and decide for yourself.
It isn't hard to find the huge amounts of bad press and complaints by pissed off Distributel clients.

I guess the worst was when I called to cancel the service out of frustration, I was past the point of caring and was actually happy to put an end to it. I was in a good mood, calm, and polite. I couldn't get through to support after ANOTHER 45 minute hold time, so I tried the "Customer Service" menu choice. Same thing. Same hold music.

HOWEVER, I finally chose the "I want to subscribe to Distributel" menu option, and WHAM!! I was speaking to a live person in 5 seconds flat. She was NOT impressed that I got into her queue and boy did she turn icy cold and fast. When I calmly and politely explained the hold situation and that I was cancelling only because I couldn't get through to support EVER, she somehow managed to have a "2nd level" tech on deck who could "call me back" within "a few minutes"...... un-freakin-believable. When I insisted that it was all past that point, and that I was cancelling and that was final , she then gave me a brief and somewhat snotty lecture on "how I didn't even have the patience to let them troubleshoot it" , fully ignoring the fact that I was in her queue because Distributel doesn't have a working support system, not because of the outage.....

Bell Canada takes first place for the worst company to deal with in my recent memory, but Distributel is a strong 2nd IMHO.

P.S. Connect speeds never EVER approached even 30% of what I was paying for at any time day-or-night.... Boooooo Distributel booooooo.....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

IF you call during "prime time" I would expect to wait, I personally have had almost ZERO wait time the odd time I have to call.

I've been with 3web/Distributel for over 4yrs, both through the really bad times (almost unusable during prime time) to now where it works pretty damn good. It does slow down to around 15mb at night , that's just congestion, and I'm not sure if it's them or Rogers.

For the price I'm paying for 28mb of service, I have have nothing to bark about.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Eug

Re: If it doesn't offer ADSL2 or VDSL2, I'm not interested.

said by Eug:

You can't get ADSL2 or VDSL2 with Distributel in Ontario. For that reason alone, I'd go with Teksavvy. With regular DSL, I can stably only get 3 Mbps service from the CO.

And that's all you'd get from Teksavvy, DSL is not like Cable, it depends on your distance from the Remote/CO, since you would be serviced from the same location no matter who your provider is, your experience would not change.
--

papaskitch

join:2007-02-10
Woodbridge, ON
reply to LuasYlor

Re: Which is better right now? Distributel or TekSavvy?

I've had Distributel ignore my emails, but they always called me back (it took awhile during the outage in Woodbridge, but they got back to me).

Teksavvy isn't available in my area, but I'd choose either one over Rogers (or Bell).

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to alexpb1

said by alexpb1:

Haven't tried the former yet, but I will be soon. I just signed up for Distributel's 24Mbps cable internet yesterday. Installation is on the 17th. If all goes smoothly I will be dropping my Teksavvy 6Mbps DSL next month.
Seems a lot of people are happy with their service in the Distributel thread on RFD. Lot of the speed results for the 15/24 tiers look promising. I just hope my area is good.

For over the past year I've been waiting for Teksavvy to bring cable to Barrie, but I see now that's not going to happen, no where in the near future at least. So I'm done waiting.

An update to this post I made last month.
I've been on Distributel for the last 20 days, and have to say I am happier than a pig in sh*t. Just got a speed bump a couple days ago too. 28/1 for $62/month with no cap is a lot better than the $50/month for 6Mbit/300 cap I was paying on Teksavvy.

While I've never had any issues with my 5Mbit dsl while on Teksavvy, I have heard a lot about congestion issues on their cable. I know Teksavvy cable isn't in Barrie, but as far as Distributel goes, the connection is rock solid. I've been able to constantly max out my connection on Usenet during peak hours with no issues whatsoever (knock on wood). I am really happy with my service thus far.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Hotshotjiji

said by Hotshotjiji:

Distributel: Unlimited Cable 24MB/1MB-$49.95+Tax,Unlimited Cable 12MB/512K-43.95+Tax

TekSavvy: Unlimited Cable 24MB/1MB-$61.95+Tax,Unlimited Cable 12MB/512K-54.95+Tax

Nothing more to say and any more questions?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Hotshotjiji

Hotshotjiji, what part of Ottawa are you in?

I have TekSavvy 24/1 cable with a Docsis 2 Motorola SB5100 in Craig Henry which is off of the Fallowfield POI and I've no issues with TekSavvy, the POI is not congested. My only issue is some peak node congestion, only rogers can fix this, but I can live with that as it's not that bad and it's definitely not bad enough to warrant spending $100 + tax on a Docsis 3 modem.

discostupid

join:2004-01-24
Ottawa, ON
reply to neuromancer1

chances are that you actually get the 24/1 or 12/0.5 from Distributel and you're lucky to get 12/1 or 3/0.5 from TekSavvy

TS is ass now and I can't wait to switch