Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bfksc
Unlimited on Distributel

join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON
reply to Hotshotjiji

Re: Which is better right now? Distributel or TekSavvy?

said by Hotshotjiji:

Which modem are they giving for free?

With the price increases that other carriers have announced, Distributel has maintained their pricing structure. However, they require that you now purchase or rent a modem from them on all tiers and plans, both DSL and Cable. No more free Motorola modems unless you're already a customer and you continue to use their free modems.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to Hotshotjiji

If it doesn't offer ADSL2 or VDSL2, I'm not interested.

You can't get ADSL2 or VDSL2 with Distributel in Ontario. For that reason alone, I'd go with Teksavvy. With regular DSL, I can stably only get 3 Mbps service from the CO.

Cable in my area with Teksavvy isn't really a consideration, because I'd be on the McNicoll POI, and TSI has been having a very hard time keeping up with demand in this region. Lots of slowdowns over the past 1.5 years. I had even installed a bunch of cable lines to my home office back in fall 2010 to switch from 3 Mbps DSL to cable, but held off because of the cable problems, and then went straight to 25/7 on VDSL2.

After having been on 25/7 VDSL2, I'd hate going back to regular DSL, even at 5ish Mbps. I think my minimum would be 10 or 12 Mbps ADSL2, with 16 Mbps preferred. (TSI doesn't offer 7 Mbps up on 12 or 16, and 7 Mbps up is great too, but not critical for my needs.)

Netflix alone tops out at about 5 Mbps, but wants a cushion above that to allow max quality. However, it's not pleasant when one person just watching an HD stream can max out your entire internet bandwidth. Having 12 Mbps down means you can simultaneously watch an HD stream and download a large file, and still have excellent surfing speeds.

--
Everything Apple

LuasYlor

join:2012-03-06
Gloucester, ON
reply to jfmezei

I am a Distributel cable internet fugitive in Ottawa. After a decent uptime run (about 90% uptime ) over the 6 months I was on their service, I got hit with a Rogers-related outage that took me out for, well, I'm still out.
It's been a week as of today.

Whether or not the problem was from Rogers, outage, which was fixed in a couple of days, or from Distibutel's end, is irrelevant to my beef with them, and here's why.......

After 12 hour's outage, I attempted to call them. On hold for 45 minutes, got fed up. Tried the next day, same thing, hold for 45 minutes, then quit. Went to a friend's to get online, started googling "Distributel outage" "Distributel support", and Distributel complaints".

WOW!! The internet is FLOODED with complaints about Distributel with almost all the same content... Distributel does *not* answer their support lines, and do *not* return calls to the "leave your return number here" numbers left at the dropzone. If you have a problem with your Distributel connection, you are screwed and forgotten apparently until you quit their service. I say this because of personal experience, and a simple search thru Google will confirm it.

Don't take my word for it, think, search, and decide for yourself.
It isn't hard to find the huge amounts of bad press and complaints by pissed off Distributel clients.

I guess the worst was when I called to cancel the service out of frustration, I was past the point of caring and was actually happy to put an end to it. I was in a good mood, calm, and polite. I couldn't get through to support after ANOTHER 45 minute hold time, so I tried the "Customer Service" menu choice. Same thing. Same hold music.

HOWEVER, I finally chose the "I want to subscribe to Distributel" menu option, and WHAM!! I was speaking to a live person in 5 seconds flat. She was NOT impressed that I got into her queue and boy did she turn icy cold and fast. When I calmly and politely explained the hold situation and that I was cancelling only because I couldn't get through to support EVER, she somehow managed to have a "2nd level" tech on deck who could "call me back" within "a few minutes"...... un-freakin-believable. When I insisted that it was all past that point, and that I was cancelling and that was final , she then gave me a brief and somewhat snotty lecture on "how I didn't even have the patience to let them troubleshoot it" , fully ignoring the fact that I was in her queue because Distributel doesn't have a working support system, not because of the outage.....

Bell Canada takes first place for the worst company to deal with in my recent memory, but Distributel is a strong 2nd IMHO.

P.S. Connect speeds never EVER approached even 30% of what I was paying for at any time day-or-night.... Boooooo Distributel booooooo.....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

IF you call during "prime time" I would expect to wait, I personally have had almost ZERO wait time the odd time I have to call.

I've been with 3web/Distributel for over 4yrs, both through the really bad times (almost unusable during prime time) to now where it works pretty damn good. It does slow down to around 15mb at night , that's just congestion, and I'm not sure if it's them or Rogers.

For the price I'm paying for 28mb of service, I have have nothing to bark about.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Eug

Re: If it doesn't offer ADSL2 or VDSL2, I'm not interested.

said by Eug:

You can't get ADSL2 or VDSL2 with Distributel in Ontario. For that reason alone, I'd go with Teksavvy. With regular DSL, I can stably only get 3 Mbps service from the CO.

And that's all you'd get from Teksavvy, DSL is not like Cable, it depends on your distance from the Remote/CO, since you would be serviced from the same location no matter who your provider is, your experience would not change.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

papaskitch

join:2007-02-10
Woodbridge, ON
reply to LuasYlor

I've had Distributel ignore my emails, but they always called me back (it took awhile during the outage in Woodbridge, but they got back to me).

Teksavvy isn't available in my area, but I'd choose either one over Rogers (or Bell).

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to alexpb1

said by alexpb1:

Haven't tried the former yet, but I will be soon. I just signed up for Distributel's 24Mbps cable internet yesterday. Installation is on the 17th. If all goes smoothly I will be dropping my Teksavvy 6Mbps DSL next month.
Seems a lot of people are happy with their service in the Distributel thread on RFD. Lot of the speed results for the 15/24 tiers look promising. I just hope my area is good.

For over the past year I've been waiting for Teksavvy to bring cable to Barrie, but I see now that's not going to happen, no where in the near future at least. So I'm done waiting.

An update to this post I made last month.
I've been on Distributel for the last 20 days, and have to say I am happier than a pig in sh*t. Just got a speed bump a couple days ago too. 28/1 for $62/month with no cap is a lot better than the $50/month for 6Mbit/300 cap I was paying on Teksavvy.

While I've never had any issues with my 5Mbit dsl while on Teksavvy, I have heard a lot about congestion issues on their cable. I know Teksavvy cable isn't in Barrie, but as far as Distributel goes, the connection is rock solid. I've been able to constantly max out my connection on Usenet during peak hours with no issues whatsoever (knock on wood). I am really happy with my service thus far.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Hotshotjiji

said by Hotshotjiji:

So, I'm currently with Rogers right now and I don't like their service anymore so I've started looking for better ISP and found out about Distributel and TekSavvy.

And from what I've been seeing,

Distributel: Bad before but became really great like few months ago
TekSavvy: Great before but is starting to get bad or already bad

Are those true and to which ISP should I transfer?

PS: I live in Ottawa if that would help

Distributel: Unlimited Cable 24MB/1MB-$49.95+Tax,Unlimited Cable 12MB/512K-43.95+Tax

TekSavvy: Unlimited Cable 24MB/1MB-$61.95+Tax,Unlimited Cable 12MB/512K-54.95+Tax

Nothing more to say and any more questions?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Hotshotjiji

Hotshotjiji, what part of Ottawa are you in?

I have TekSavvy 24/1 cable with a Docsis 2 Motorola SB5100 in Craig Henry which is off of the Fallowfield POI and I've no issues with TekSavvy, the POI is not congested. My only issue is some peak node congestion, only rogers can fix this, but I can live with that as it's not that bad and it's definitely not bad enough to warrant spending $100 + tax on a Docsis 3 modem.

discostupid

join:2004-01-24
Ottawa, ON
reply to neuromancer1

chances are that you actually get the 24/1 or 12/0.5 from Distributel and you're lucky to get 12/1 or 3/0.5 from TekSavvy

TS is ass now and I can't wait to switch

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

said by discostupid:

chances are that you actually get the 24/1 or 12/0.5 from Distributel and you're lucky to get 12/1 or 3/0.5 from TekSavvy

TS is ass now and I can't wait to switch

I'm with Distributel and I am getting 28/1.
--

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
reply to discostupid

nvm

Distributel_

join:2012-03-21
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to Hotshotjiji

As Elwoodblues mentions, Distributel has been through hell and high water in the last 4 years, but we've never given up!

We take all of our negative reviews seriously and learn from them. We are constantly upgrading our networks to ensure stability and we have also been proactive to not put our customers though the congestion headaches which affected a HUGE number of clients in late 2010 - early 2011 in K/W, London, and other cities.

We've also hired a bunch of technical support agents who've started their training today to give those wait times a huge heave-ho! Administrative agents have also entered the final stage of their training today and will be on the phones by themselves in a week, if not sooner; I'm impressed by this bunch!

I am also proud to say we will now have a permanent residence on DSLR and other forums in order to help those in need of support and answers.

- Dano
--
Daniel Brisson
Distributel Communications Limited.
Customer Relations Administrator
feedback@distributel.ca

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Hopefully you aren't one of those social marketing Trolls that pop up in the Rogers forum to promote what a great company Robbers is.

People see right through that.

Distributel_

Ottawa, ON

Not at All!

As Customer Relations Administrator, it is one of my responsibilities to listen to our customers to determine where we can improve our service and our support. As a member of the Quality team, I ensure clear and accurate information is provided to our clients, proper tools provided to our agents, and to help debunk myths about TPIA service.

We encourage all types of feedback; good or bad. Social Media is a great tool to get to know our clients and share their experiences. It also helps us shape our policies and procedures.

I will always be the first to admit we've made a mistake. I'm all about transparency.

-Dano
--
Daniel Brisson
feedback@distributel.ca

Flynnt

join:2009-08-31
Windsor, ON

I emailed Distributel to find out if it was available however all I keep getting are phone calls where there isn't anyone actually there. I can't seem to get an answer by email either.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to Distributel_

I was with 3web for several years, up until after they became part of Cybersurf, but before they became part of Distributel. I had to leave because I was suffering from severe evening slowdowns on both cable and DSL. I stayed on for around a year waiting for the congestion to be cleared up before I finally left. I wish the CSRs had been able to give me more information about the timeline of network upgrades back then. Every time I called in, they said "hopefully soon" or "soon" but every month or two I would call in and they still said the same thing.

I guess if I had stuck out for another year or two, I would have had a pretty sweet plan after they fixed it all up. I'm happy with Teksavvy for now, though.

I still have a credit of $12 at 3web

Distributel_

Ottawa, ON
reply to Flynnt

Hi Flynnt,

please email your information (complete address and postal code as well as a contact number) to feedback@distributel.ca and I will arrange to have someone contact you. Please reference this post

Meanwhile, could you also forward the email to mentioned.

- Dano
--
Daniel Brisson
feedback@distributel.ca

Distributel_

Ottawa, ON
reply to Oinktastic

I recall being a front-line agent when the congestion issues began; we had very little ETA/Upgrade info available other than "possibly by x date)
We have since begun motoring our POIs much closer to avoid oversubscribing and a good number of customers are reporting higher-than-advertised speeds thanks for the upgrades we have been working on.

- Dano

bodop
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Aylmer, QC

Hey Distributel_ can you explain this?

said by bodop See Profile
I ordered Distributel in Quebec (Videotron) Cable 15/1.5. Confirmed during initial sign up that the DCM475 would be the modem I was sent - has 8 downstream channels. They sent the Motorola SB6120 with 4 downstream channels. Great modem but out of production for a year and my main beef is 4 downstream channels instead of 8 for the approx. 5$ a month rental fee.

Here's where it gets interesting - Well other than you can not believe Distributel when they tell you something when you sign up!
I call to let them know what they did.

They, after transferring me twice and putting me on hold three times, tell me Videotron will Not let them send out the DCM475 for initial activation but if I wish to Buy a modem I will be sent the DCM475 which will work on Videotron but can not be used for initial activation!

This just sounds like total BS to me as it makes No sense at all!

Not a good start for Distributel with me and I don't even have it hooked up yet!

Thinking I may have made a Big mistake in going with Distributel as they certainly appear to be full of $hit!
[/bquote :

Distributel_

Ottawa, ON

Hi bodop,

I am currently dealing with a similar situation in another thread with regards to Thomson v. Motorola for Videotron TPIA territories.
Some carries are very strict as to which models they'll allow on the network and I believe we are limited to the Motorola DOCSIS3 in Quebec. The agents have a list of which modem goes with which carrier and I would need to see who said what and when. Send your info my way at feedback@distributel.ca or via DM. Please reference this post

Meanwhile, I'll update the thread once I have further information.

- Dano
--
Daniel Brisson
feedback@distributel.ca

Flynnt

join:2009-08-31
Windsor, ON
reply to Distributel_

Ended up getting my answer. Unfortunately going from 30mbit to 10mbit isn't going to cut it, even if it is unlimited.

PRIUS

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to Distributel_

said by Distributel_:

As Elwoodblues mentions, Distributel has been through hell and high water in the last 4 years, but we've never given up!

We take all of our negative reviews seriously and learn from them. We are constantly upgrading our networks to ensure stability and we have also been proactive to not put our customers though the congestion headaches which affected a HUGE number of clients in late 2010 - early 2011 in K/W, London, and other cities.

We've also hired a bunch of technical support agents who've started their training today to give those wait times a huge heave-ho! Administrative agents have also entered the final stage of their training today and will be on the phones by themselves in a week, if not sooner; I'm impressed by this bunch!

I am also proud to say we will now have a permanent residence on DSLR and other forums in order to help those in need of support and answers.

- Dano

I called Distributel this afternoon to inquire about their service; I am looking for an alternative to Rogers when my contract expires July 27/12.

The call did not get off to a good start. I was sorely disappointed that the Customer Service Representative, Matt, first refused to handle my call, details of which I will explain.

I am a hearing impaired person who uses Bell Relay service (VCO - Voice Carry Over). VCO allows me to speak directly to the caller and I read verbatim what the Relay Operator types. Matt indicated that he could not handle the call unless he spoke directly to me and would have to get authorization from his manager to handle the call. The Bell Relay Operator explained to Matt how the Relay service works. Still he would not handle the call without authorization from his manager.

After being put on hold twice, Matt returns indicating he has authorization from his manager to handle the call. Is this the norm for Distributel to refuse handling calls for hearing impaired customers, and is this reflective of the service I would receive as a customer of Distributel?

Moving forward, I would like to know if the RCA Thomson DCM475 modem that Distributel sells for $99.95 is wireless (modem with router all in one), such as the purchased SMC G gateway wireless home networking Modem I bought from Rogers?

*Does Distributel sell cable wireless modems?

*Will the SMC G gateway wireless modem I bought from Rogers work on Distributel's system?

*What invoice method does Distributel support. I currently pay my bills through telephone banking and in branch banking. Does Distributel support both of these methods?

I don't want to be committed to any future contracts with Rogers, don't want to pay the exorbitant prices Rogers charges and be limited to 60GB of bandwidth monthly.

I'm seriously considering Distributel comes this July, however, I trust that Distributel's customer service is more open to the hearing impaired community and adapted to handling Relay calls without first having to ask permission from a manager to first handle the call. In the years I have been using Bell Relay, this is the first I have encountered a situation of this kind where CSR's have to first ask permission of their manager to handle a Bell Relay call.

bodop
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Aylmer, QC
reply to Distributel_

said by Distributel_:

Hi bodop,

I am currently dealing with a similar situation in another thread with regards to Thomson v. Motorola for Videotron TPIA territories.
Some carries are very strict as to which models they'll allow on the network and I believe we are limited to the Motorola DOCSIS3 in Quebec. The agents have a list of which modem goes with which carrier and I would need to see who said what and when. Send your info my way at feedback@distributel.ca or via DM. Please reference this post

Meanwhile, I'll update the thread once I have further information.

- Dano

Email with details sent last night to feedback@distributel.ca

Looking forward to Your/Distributel's response.

jeneral

join:2010-11-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to PRIUS

said by PRIUS:

Moving forward, I would like to know if the RCA Thomson DCM475 modem that Distributel sells for $99.95 is wireless (modem with router all in one), such as the purchased SMC G gateway wireless home networking Modem I bought from Rogers?

*Will the SMC G gateway wireless modem I bought from Rogers work on Distributel's system?

Sorry to read about your difficulties with the CSR.

Re: your modem questions.

The DCM475 is just a modem. It does not have a built-in router.

If you own your current router and it is currently operating on Rogers, you should be able to use it with Distributel. I brought my Motorola SB5100 modem over when I switched.

One word of warning, don't schedule the changeover for a weekend. Mine was scheduled for a Saturday. On Saturday morning my Rogers service stops working and despite many calls to their tech support, they couldn't do anything for me until Monday. If I were you, I would schedule the switch for a Monday or Tuesday. Problems are resolved much quicker during regular business hours.

PRIUS

Toronto, ON

Click for full size
said by jeneral:

said by PRIUS:

Sorry to read about your difficulties with the CSR.

Re: your modem questions.

The DCM475 is just a modem. It does not have a built-in router.

If you own your current router and it is currently operating on Rogers, you should be able to use it with Distributel. I brought my Motorola SB5100 modem over when I switched.

One word of warning, don't schedule the changeover for a weekend. Mine was scheduled for a Saturday. On Saturday morning my Rogers service stops working and despite many calls to their tech support, they couldn't do anything for me until Monday. If I were you, I would schedule the switch for a Monday or Tuesday. Problems are resolved much quicker during regular business hours.

This is the Wireless modem I bought from Rogers. I'm hoping when I make the switch over to Distributel from Rogers, I can still use the same wireless modem without having to purchase new equipment. My contract expires in July with Rogers for the Internet. For now, I'm looking for an alternative.

What do I need to do in order to have my internet brought over to Distributel from Rogers?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to PRIUS

The SMC Modem is a Docsis 2 modem, and while you can achieve the 28mb speed (I do on my Docsis 2 Sb5100 modem) Rogers may not provision it.

Distributel_

Ottawa, ON

We are currently working with the carriers to allow customer-owned equipment onto their TPIA networks and we have a few people testing for support at the moment. Once we have the ability, we will also have a list of approved/supported modems.

We also do not have wireless modems at this time, we do, however supply a Linksys WRP400 VoIP gateway which doubles as a wireless router (Wireless G, sorry) when you order a VoIP package.

@PRIUS, I am also composing your reply; I will come right out and say we do support VCO calls. I will also be working with our coaches to prepare training docs for the future.

And for those inquiring about the DCM475 Modems; Those being serviced by the Montreal office will continue to receive these modems; The Ottawa office currently only has SB6120 DOCSIS3 modems until the stock is exhausted - the DCM475s in stock are provisioned with Rogers firmware - I unfortunately do not have an ETA. I have also asked Marketing to fix the website. Thank you to everyone who has brought this oversight to my attention.

- Dano
--
Daniel Brisson
feedback@distributel.ca

PRIUS

Toronto, ON

said by Distributel_:

We are currently working with the carriers to allow customer-owned equipment onto their TPIA networks and we have a few people testing for support at the moment. Once we have the ability, we will also have a list of approved/supported modems.

We also do not have wireless modems at this time, we do, however supply a Linksys WRP400 VoIP gateway which doubles as a wireless router (Wireless G, sorry) when you order a VoIP package.

@PRIUS, I am also composing your reply; I will come right out and say we do support VCO calls. I will also be working with our coaches to prepare training docs for the future.

And for those inquiring about the DCM475 Modems; Those being serviced by the Montreal office will continue to receive these modems; The Ottawa office currently only has SB6120 DOCSIS3 modems until the stock is exhausted - the DCM475s in stock are provisioned with Rogers firmware - I unfortunately do not have an ETA. I have also asked Marketing to fix the website. Thank you to everyone who has brought this oversight to my attention.

- Dano

Thanks Dano.

PRIUS

Toronto, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

The SMC Modem is a Docsis 2 modem, and while you can achieve the 28mb speed (I do on my Docsis 2 Sb5100 modem) Rogers may not provision it.

I am hoping that by the time July rolls arounds, I'll be able to continue using my wireless G Home Networking modem on Distributel's system when I make the switch over.