how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Distributel_

join:2012-03-21
Ottawa, ON
reply to bodop

Re: Which is better right now? Distributel or TekSavvy?

Hi bodop,

I am currently dealing with a similar situation in another thread with regards to Thomson v. Motorola for Videotron TPIA territories.
Some carries are very strict as to which models they'll allow on the network and I believe we are limited to the Motorola DOCSIS3 in Quebec. The agents have a list of which modem goes with which carrier and I would need to see who said what and when. Send your info my way at feedback@distributel.ca or via DM. Please reference this post

Meanwhile, I'll update the thread once I have further information.

- Dano
--
Daniel Brisson
Distributel Communications Limited.
Customer Relations Administrator
feedback@distributel.ca

Flynnt

join:2009-08-31
Windsor, ON
reply to Distributel_

Ended up getting my answer. Unfortunately going from 30mbit to 10mbit isn't going to cut it, even if it is unlimited.

PRIUS

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to Distributel_

said by Distributel_:

As Elwoodblues mentions, Distributel has been through hell and high water in the last 4 years, but we've never given up!

We take all of our negative reviews seriously and learn from them. We are constantly upgrading our networks to ensure stability and we have also been proactive to not put our customers though the congestion headaches which affected a HUGE number of clients in late 2010 - early 2011 in K/W, London, and other cities.

We've also hired a bunch of technical support agents who've started their training today to give those wait times a huge heave-ho! Administrative agents have also entered the final stage of their training today and will be on the phones by themselves in a week, if not sooner; I'm impressed by this bunch!

I am also proud to say we will now have a permanent residence on DSLR and other forums in order to help those in need of support and answers.

- Dano

I called Distributel this afternoon to inquire about their service; I am looking for an alternative to Rogers when my contract expires July 27/12.

The call did not get off to a good start. I was sorely disappointed that the Customer Service Representative, Matt, first refused to handle my call, details of which I will explain.

I am a hearing impaired person who uses Bell Relay service (VCO - Voice Carry Over). VCO allows me to speak directly to the caller and I read verbatim what the Relay Operator types. Matt indicated that he could not handle the call unless he spoke directly to me and would have to get authorization from his manager to handle the call. The Bell Relay Operator explained to Matt how the Relay service works. Still he would not handle the call without authorization from his manager.

After being put on hold twice, Matt returns indicating he has authorization from his manager to handle the call. Is this the norm for Distributel to refuse handling calls for hearing impaired customers, and is this reflective of the service I would receive as a customer of Distributel?

Moving forward, I would like to know if the RCA Thomson DCM475 modem that Distributel sells for $99.95 is wireless (modem with router all in one), such as the purchased SMC G gateway wireless home networking Modem I bought from Rogers?

*Does Distributel sell cable wireless modems?

*Will the SMC G gateway wireless modem I bought from Rogers work on Distributel's system?

*What invoice method does Distributel support. I currently pay my bills through telephone banking and in branch banking. Does Distributel support both of these methods?

I don't want to be committed to any future contracts with Rogers, don't want to pay the exorbitant prices Rogers charges and be limited to 60GB of bandwidth monthly.

I'm seriously considering Distributel comes this July, however, I trust that Distributel's customer service is more open to the hearing impaired community and adapted to handling Relay calls without first having to ask permission from a manager to first handle the call. In the years I have been using Bell Relay, this is the first I have encountered a situation of this kind where CSR's have to first ask permission of their manager to handle a Bell Relay call.

bodop
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Aylmer, QC
reply to Distributel_

said by Distributel_:

Hi bodop,

I am currently dealing with a similar situation in another thread with regards to Thomson v. Motorola for Videotron TPIA territories.
Some carries are very strict as to which models they'll allow on the network and I believe we are limited to the Motorola DOCSIS3 in Quebec. The agents have a list of which modem goes with which carrier and I would need to see who said what and when. Send your info my way at feedback@distributel.ca or via DM. Please reference this post

Meanwhile, I'll update the thread once I have further information.

- Dano

Email with details sent last night to feedback@distributel.ca

Looking forward to Your/Distributel's response.

jeneral

join:2010-11-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to PRIUS

said by PRIUS:

Moving forward, I would like to know if the RCA Thomson DCM475 modem that Distributel sells for $99.95 is wireless (modem with router all in one), such as the purchased SMC G gateway wireless home networking Modem I bought from Rogers?

*Will the SMC G gateway wireless modem I bought from Rogers work on Distributel's system?

Sorry to read about your difficulties with the CSR.

Re: your modem questions.

The DCM475 is just a modem. It does not have a built-in router.

If you own your current router and it is currently operating on Rogers, you should be able to use it with Distributel. I brought my Motorola SB5100 modem over when I switched.

One word of warning, don't schedule the changeover for a weekend. Mine was scheduled for a Saturday. On Saturday morning my Rogers service stops working and despite many calls to their tech support, they couldn't do anything for me until Monday. If I were you, I would schedule the switch for a Monday or Tuesday. Problems are resolved much quicker during regular business hours.

PRIUS

Toronto, ON

Click for full size
said by jeneral:

said by PRIUS:

Sorry to read about your difficulties with the CSR.

Re: your modem questions.

The DCM475 is just a modem. It does not have a built-in router.

If you own your current router and it is currently operating on Rogers, you should be able to use it with Distributel. I brought my Motorola SB5100 modem over when I switched.

One word of warning, don't schedule the changeover for a weekend. Mine was scheduled for a Saturday. On Saturday morning my Rogers service stops working and despite many calls to their tech support, they couldn't do anything for me until Monday. If I were you, I would schedule the switch for a Monday or Tuesday. Problems are resolved much quicker during regular business hours.

This is the Wireless modem I bought from Rogers. I'm hoping when I make the switch over to Distributel from Rogers, I can still use the same wireless modem without having to purchase new equipment. My contract expires in July with Rogers for the Internet. For now, I'm looking for an alternative.

What do I need to do in order to have my internet brought over to Distributel from Rogers?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to PRIUS

The SMC Modem is a Docsis 2 modem, and while you can achieve the 28mb speed (I do on my Docsis 2 Sb5100 modem) Rogers may not provision it.

Distributel_

Ottawa, ON

We are currently working with the carriers to allow customer-owned equipment onto their TPIA networks and we have a few people testing for support at the moment. Once we have the ability, we will also have a list of approved/supported modems.

We also do not have wireless modems at this time, we do, however supply a Linksys WRP400 VoIP gateway which doubles as a wireless router (Wireless G, sorry) when you order a VoIP package.

@PRIUS, I am also composing your reply; I will come right out and say we do support VCO calls. I will also be working with our coaches to prepare training docs for the future.

And for those inquiring about the DCM475 Modems; Those being serviced by the Montreal office will continue to receive these modems; The Ottawa office currently only has SB6120 DOCSIS3 modems until the stock is exhausted - the DCM475s in stock are provisioned with Rogers firmware - I unfortunately do not have an ETA. I have also asked Marketing to fix the website. Thank you to everyone who has brought this oversight to my attention.

- Dano
--
Daniel Brisson
feedback@distributel.ca

PRIUS

Toronto, ON

said by Distributel_:

We are currently working with the carriers to allow customer-owned equipment onto their TPIA networks and we have a few people testing for support at the moment. Once we have the ability, we will also have a list of approved/supported modems.

We also do not have wireless modems at this time, we do, however supply a Linksys WRP400 VoIP gateway which doubles as a wireless router (Wireless G, sorry) when you order a VoIP package.

@PRIUS, I am also composing your reply; I will come right out and say we do support VCO calls. I will also be working with our coaches to prepare training docs for the future.

And for those inquiring about the DCM475 Modems; Those being serviced by the Montreal office will continue to receive these modems; The Ottawa office currently only has SB6120 DOCSIS3 modems until the stock is exhausted - the DCM475s in stock are provisioned with Rogers firmware - I unfortunately do not have an ETA. I have also asked Marketing to fix the website. Thank you to everyone who has brought this oversight to my attention.

- Dano

Thanks Dano.

PRIUS

Toronto, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

The SMC Modem is a Docsis 2 modem, and while you can achieve the 28mb speed (I do on my Docsis 2 Sb5100 modem) Rogers may not provision it.

I am hoping that by the time July rolls arounds, I'll be able to continue using my wireless G Home Networking modem on Distributel's system when I make the switch over.

Distributel_

Ottawa, ON
reply to Flynnt

I hear you; I'm not sure how the carrier in that area handles other independent ISPs, but they're very resistive to allowing us access to higher speeds. Good thing we're not ones to take no for an answer! I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

said by Flynnt:

Ended up getting my answer. Unfortunately going from 30mbit to 10mbit isn't going to cut it, even if it is unlimited.

--
Daniel Brisson
feedback@distributel.ca

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to PRIUS

Somebody else will have to weigh in on this, but perhaps you can just use it as a wireless router, the passwords are all over DLSR.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to PRIUS

Yeah thats a Docsis 2.0 unit. I've seen them. Not overly impressed with them though the range is 'fair' for the 802.11 aspect.

Though if you really want to get max speeds I'd move to a Docsis 3.0 unit and a sepparate gigabit dual band wifi N router with as much ram/cpu/flash as you can afford, so you'll have more options if you choose to use third party firmware on it. Of course if you're not a Geek™ then it really doesn't matter to you.

That SMC unit could be deprovisioned and 'resold' to someone less fortunate than yourself either to friends or family or acquaintances, and the return cash sunk into some sweeter bleeding edge equipment for Mission Control.

Cheers

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1, Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1, Dupont POI, eXtreme Cable Pr0 28/1:4/4 Unlimited.

Ian D Allen
If this were easy, everyone would do it.
Premium
join:2008-10-26
Ottawa, ON
reply to Hotshotjiji

Click for full size
A Year of Cable Download Speeds
I've been with 3Web/CIA/Cybersurf/Distributel Cable since May 2009 in Ottawa Centretown and can confirm the severe slowdowns during peak periods (but I am on a single-channel Motorola modem). I have data and bandwidth graphs (every 20 minutes) going back to 2009 - it's been awful and it still gets awful.

I just got Bell Fibe 25 and I posted a download speed comparison of my Cable vs. Fibe 25 DSL over the past week here:

»Ottawa Centretown download comparison - Cable vs. DSL

I'll attach a graph of the Cable download speeds for the past year.
--
| Centretown Ottawa (K1R 6S9), Ontario, Canada
| Home Page: »idallen.com/ Contact Improv: »contactimprov.ca/
| College professor (Free/Libre GNU+Linux) at: »teaching.idallen.com/
| Defend digital freedom: »eff.org/

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
kudos:1
reply to Hotshotjiji

Teksavvy is junk. Used to be a reseller, but got sick of having to fix my own customers issues because Teksavvy just didnt care. Do yourself a favor as distributel has made great strides, and Teksavyy has become too big to care about anything but money.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by scorpido:

Teksavvy is junk. Used to be a reseller, but got sick of having to fix my own customers issues because Teksavvy just didnt care. Do yourself a favor as distributel has made great strides, and Teksavyy has become too big to care about anything but money.

Scary to think what TSI once was to then read comments like this everywhere. Unfortunate isn't even a good enough way to describe it

Ian D Allen
If this were easy, everyone would do it.
Premium
join:2008-10-26
Ottawa, ON
reply to Ian D Allen

Click for full size
Cable Download KibiBytes/sec
Here is the Distributel 28 cable graph for the past several weeks. Speeds are all over the place, peaking at 7 KibiBytes/sec down. Modem is Thompson DCM475. Location is centre-town Ottawa.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Hotshotjiji

I have been with Teksavvy for a couple years now, and find them to be a rock solid isp. Any issue I have had has been solved licittey-split . I have had bot dsl and cable, and always got the advertised speed. I have the 30m cable, and it is out of this world.

Also, as an aside, if one reads the complaints on their forum, one quickly finds that many of the problems come from unreasonable people. You know the ones...the ones that expect every to bow down and kiss their ass as opposed to being part of the solution....

I'm not saying all, but there are a lot.

buttaknife

join:2007-06-01
reply to Hotshotjiji

I've been with TekSavvy since 2008, in shape of DSL then cable, give or take. So I can only speak of my experiences with them

They have been mostly ok in most areas for me, though they have had their hiccups here and there. Maybe I'm just "lucky" but I've never had any install problems or week-long issues with them as some others claim.

Some of my notable problems over the years:

- Their DNS servers suck. I don't know why but they just do. Very slow or non responsive. I just tend to use namebench and set my own. I haven't used their DNS servers for a year now or so, though.

- Outages are not frequent but when they happen, there is really no point to contacting them more than once. They don't really get any updates before it gets fixed. Most of the time the outages have been for a few hours up to 2 days. But not frequent.

- Their routing isn't as nice as it used to be. I from time to time get some bogged down route that hampers my latency and affects things like ventrilo. Not common but not a rarity either.

Other than that, I usually get full speed all the time (28/1 cable). That said, I recently dropped from unlimited to 300gb because I was not happy with the price hike for unlimited.

lawrence171
Evilly Yours - Evilness

join:2001-12-24
Canada
reply to PRIUS

I suppose the question is whether or not the employee felt empowered to make that decision.
--
What I used to be I no longer am... God, why can't you freeze time for my sake?

hd2002

join:2003-07-08
Toronto
reply to Hotshotjiji

I just noticed that i can not reach »thepiratebay.se over the distributel connection, and the site is reachable through an alternative connection. Are they actively blocking it?

tpbisdown

@electronicbox.net

Nope, they're down due to a DDoS attack. »torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-···-120515/

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
reply to hd2002

Link works with teksavvy.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Distributel_

said by Distributel_:

the DCM475s in stock are provisioned with Rogers firmware

Dano, can you elaborate on this please. Do you mean they have the factory firmware version that Rogers requests (STAC.02.16), or do you mean that you are working with Rogers to change the firmware in the modems?
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

Teksavvy4 6y

@teksavvy.com
reply to Hotshotjiji

long time teksavvy customer, the service has gone to crap, and they managed this without outsourcing to India! Go with distrubutel their customer service can't be worse than tek unsavvy

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Hotshotjiji

said by Distributel Acceptable Use Policy :

You may not run a server in connection with the Distributel Services nor may you provide network services to others via the Distributel Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include, but are not limited to, mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and multi-user interactive forums.

That pretty much rules out Distributel for a lot of us.

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

Wow, good to know!

join:2012-08-06
reply to Hotshotjiji

I've had start.ca for about 5 months now using Cogeco lines and I highly recommend them.

no wow

@videotron.ca
reply to Quake110

That ToS is across the board got every ISP. Not all ISP's actually follow through with it.

Keep in mind that Bell submitted to the CRTC that their Bell ToS is applicable to all 3rd party subscribers. CRTC did not argue it.

The details of all this is in this very forum. You can search it.

So this is noting to say "wow" about. It's a known. And it applies to all 3rd party ISP's, resellers, or whatever you want to call them.

Distributel, TSI, Acanac, Ebox etc, all of them.

The "wow" factor was over more than a year ago.

Some ISP's incorporated this in their own ToS, some haven't. But this is all on the CRTC website some place.

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

said by no wow :

The "wow" factor was over more than a year ago.

I said "Wow" because I'm with Velcom and the ISP is perfectly fine with servers, and I was recommending Distributel to my geeky friend.