Search similar:

uniqs
Virty
join:2012-02-02
Pontiac, IL

Virty

[IL] Slow, Really slow speeds in Pontiac,IL

Hello fellow forum patrons,

I am a long time customer of mediacom's (some 10+ years living in the state) and as of late i have had nothing but trouble with them, the TV service is fine(pixelated at times but manageable). But, the internet service i pay for and the speeds i receive is not only Slower then all get out but the customer support i receive when i call about this is absurd as well.

Here is a little background, I moved from the opposite side of town into a house in my other place of residence i was always ABOVE the speeds i paid for (no complaint there right?) always in the range of 28-32mbps down and about 2-5mbps up, i pay for Mediacom Online Max.

I then moved across town with the same hardware all new cable in the house, nothing changed except the dwelling and i cant even break 3mbps down on a good night and the upload is about 2mbps(where its supposed to be) I have maxed out my line once when downloading over p2p inside a game client at 22mbps,

Just ran that, Now a little bit more background, i am an IT professional i have all the best hardware and i pride myself in keeping a very clean and organized home network.

My home network scales like this

RCA DHG534 Modem
Linksys E4200V2
Office computer(main gaming/Storage PC)
2 Laptops on wireless
2 Android phones on wireless
Wireless HP Printer
Cat 5e ran under the house to a Gigabit switch by my HTPC+Entertainment center
Gigabit switch has the TV,BR player, Roku and HTPC connected
DHCP is handled by the router as it should be

All computers are on the same homegroup with static IP addresses .101-.104

Now onto the Mediacom part, ("";s are they're exact words)
I have called and had "tech support" say they will send a tech out and that resulted in him "replacing my modem" with the same exact modem which solved nothing. He then escalated the ticket to a "maintenance supervisor which took 2 months to even get to me because they are "so backed up", they were supposed to credit my account for the down time which they still haven't done. They're maintenance tech was supposed to come and replace the line from the pole to the house on the 1st of February which he did not he had a service order to replace my modem AGAIN, really? so I just got off the phone with them and they stated i will have to wait ANOTHER MONTH, until he can get around to me again, this is absolutely poor customer support and if i had the means to do it i would do they're job for them. (i think that would void my contract anyways so i wont do it). So now I am stuck here with slow slow internet speeds hoping some area manager can read this and somehow rectify this situation before i move onto your competitor.

Any idea on what i can do to change this? or how i can go about fixing this myself?

I have done tests on every piece of equipment in my house and its all up to par (transfer speeds on the internal network)

If i do line test it goes bad the moment it goes out of my home network, response times ect go sky high..

Thank you in any advance for any help you may have

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I would like to take a look at your account to see what area situation is. Can you IM your phone number or account number to me?

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow to Virty

to Virty
You didn't mention the signal levels on your modem.

Some people have posted about their dislike of RCA modems.
Virty
Pontiac, IL

Virty

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Phone customer too?

Maintenance techs don't do drop replacements (from the pole to your home). Service techs can replace it, installers/installer techs can replace it too.
Virty
Pontiac, IL

Virty

Nope, they gave me that phone modem in hopes of fixing it?
Virty

Virty

*UPDATE*

Today was the cutoff for when the "utilization* issues were supposed to be fixed, still is not fixed still cant even break 5mbp's.

Still have excellent signal everything

Mediacom now says it will take a month or two for them to get back around to me,

At this point I'm about done with mediacom and Dish or Direct TV is sounding more and more better, of course i could switch to FIOS from Verizon or Comcast's Xfinity or something else that is now supported in my area

Its pretty amazing how many 10+ year customers of mediacom are switching because they cant keep up with demand.

Oh and icing on the cake the lady at the local office said i could upgrade to 50/50 mediacom ultra and i wouldn't ever have speed problems again, Really? you cant even supply 20/2 over basic coax cable but you have the galls to ask me to upgrade to 50/50?

Chad a little help?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

The rep in the office may have been referring to the multi-channel bonding that Ultra50 can provide. However, since you are on the 20/2 service, with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem this is already possible without upgrading. It sounds like you may have already learned of a utilization issue and its resolution date from someone in phone support. If you'll send over your account number or the phone number associated with it in an IM I can pull everything up and take a look at what's going on.
Virty
Pontiac, IL

Virty

yah i dont have a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, i have a RCA 2.1 or something

i thought i IMed it to you already? ill try again chad