spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

boontonflyer

join:2004-07-05
Ringoes, NJ

[DVR] Use of MOCA ethernet bridge(s) affect AnyRoom DVR ?

Will the use of MOCA ethernet bridge(s) affect the AnyRoom DVR functions. Both apparently use frequencies between 1 and 1.5 GHz !

Paul

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
You can't place a MoCA bridge in line with any MoCA enable STB/DVR. It will not pass the the MoCA signal required for AnyRoom communication. So, you will need to place a splitter on any outlet that has both a bridge and AnyRoom DVR/STB.

Other than that, I do not believe they will interferer with each other. You may want to set the security key on the bridges, so they won't try to join the AnyRoom MoCA devices.

ComcastTech

join:2008-05-31
reply to boontonflyer
1100mhz to be exact

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
I don't know about boonton, but on my MoCA equipment, I can choose the frequency. It starts at 1150 and goes to 1500 (8 channels in 50MHz increments). So, I'm not sure if 1100 is exact.

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Click for full size
If I can get it inserted correctly here is the graphic from SCTE (Society of Cable Television Engineers). My subsequent research indicates that you can leave the MOCA ethernet bridge in "scan " and it will select the unused channels to use or you can select them yourself. One of the bridges acts as the "network controller" in the "scan" mode and selects the channels to be used.

Paul

PS: Two big caveats . POE (Point of Entry ) filter must be installed as first device inboard of cable tap to prevent MOCA signals from going back out to cable node (ie neighbors systems) . If amplifier is used MOCA activity must be inboard of the amplifier.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
I use MI424WR routers as MoCA devices and I see an auto function available for channel selection. For me, I select 1150 just in case I get splitter issues. And I run a couple of amps exactly as you mention.

I don't think you technically will have a problem. It just depends on the cable company and if they mess anything up. I refuse to get MDVR since the cable company has to be the one to install it. I have so many splits, amps, MoCA, etc. that I don't want them breaking anything.

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
I can understand your reluctance. When Comcast came to install Multi-room DVR they managed to sccrew up a working DVR system and it took four tech visits (and a call to the CEO of Comcast) to finally get it straightened out.

Paul

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
Right now I have a HD-DVR in the family room and master bedroom. Can you give me a heads up on what is involved when Comcast installs Multi-room DVR? Every time a Comcast tech comes to check out why a STB is not working properly the first thing they want to do is rewire my structured wiring system.

All my structured wiring system is, is a cabinet where the coax from 7 TV outlets are connected to an eight port splitter and a Comcast provided line amplifier. My system originally had a line amplifier installed by the cabinet manufacturer. Every time a technician came out to check out a defective STB they went nuts and wanted to bypass the original line amplifier. I finally agreed to have them install a line amplifier and splitter provided by Comcast. My main concern is that during one visit the technician wanted to disconnect several outlets which had televisions connected to them in the bedrooms. I do not want Comcast to screw everything up.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to boontonflyer
A call to the CEO? For that reason I've avoided getting Comcast's MDVR. The WOW one appeals to me because of the 6 tuners and eSATA.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Mr Matt
From my experience, you won't have any problems. I think they're biggest problem is that if they use CC materials, they know and can guarantee everything is working. They don't want to take the chance on customer equipment being flaky.

When the CC installer came to my house (when I switched from WOW to CC), he said he would have to charge me for each of the TVs connected to the outlets (it's on the pricing sheet). I told him that I didn't want the TVs connected to the outlets and he could just go ahead and disconnect them. He replied that I could then hook them back up after he left. I agreed. In the end he said that instead of wasting his time and my time, he'd just leave everything as connected.

He was a nice installer--spent about half an hour extra with us putting on a nice little piano concert for us in our living room. The kids loved it.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

Right now I have a HD-DVR in the family room and master bedroom. Can you give me a heads up on what is involved when Comcast installs Multi-room DVR? Every time a Comcast tech comes to check out why a STB is not working properly the first thing they want to do is rewire my structured wiring system.

All my structured wiring system is, is a cabinet where the coax from 7 TV outlets are connected to an eight port splitter and a Comcast provided line amplifier. My system originally had a line amplifier installed by the cabinet manufacturer. Every time a technician came out to check out a defective STB they went nuts and wanted to bypass the original line amplifier. I finally agreed to have them install a line amplifier and splitter provided by Comcast. My main concern is that during one visit the technician wanted to disconnect several outlets which had televisions connected to them in the bedrooms. I do not want Comcast to screw everything up.

How AnyRoom DVR Service Works

AnyRoom DVR Service includes one primary DVR that provides full access to the DVR features of your on-screen guide such as the ability to schedule or delete a recording or control live TV.

The primary DVR is linked to networked set-top boxes in your home that allow you to view completed recordings and those already in progress. Plus fast forward, rewind, pause, skip ahead or skip back while watching your recordings.

»www.comcast.com/anyroomdvr/?SCRedirect=true

NOTE: Click the above link, to see a diagram.

The primary DVR is a dual tuner DVR that can only record 2 shows at the same time. The networked set-top boxes can not record shows. This limits the user to only recording 2 shows at the same time. If you want to record more than 2 shows at the same time don't get AnyRoom DVR functionality, instead you can use multiple DVRs.

When Comcast installs AnyRoom DVR, they will also install a point of entry filter.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Badonkadonk
Reply to Goober:

That's what it took. It wasn't getting resolved after three tech visits and about three weeks so my daughter got through to "Brian Roberts" office and spoke to one of his administrative assistants. A tech was at the house the next morning to correct the problems. I did have to insist he open the "outside cable box" and show me the "Point of Entry " MOCA filter was in place. It wasn't and he didn't have one on his truck but he came back a few hours later and installed it. It has been working fine for about three months now.

Paul

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
That's a great story. Glad it worked out.

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to boontonflyer
Reply to myself (boontonflyer):

One final thought. If the POE (Point of Entry) filter is not installed and you don't set a password on your MOCA ethernet bridge devices others on your cable node can probably get access to your network !!!

Paul

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Unless you amp the signal coming in with a typical amp. The MoCA signal doesn't go backwards through those.

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Don't know the rolloff characteristics of the amp that Comcast installed. If it's wideband (ie passes frequencies in range from 1 to 1.5 GHz) they might get through !!

Paul

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Not on the return path. I've already experimented with the amps I have and the signal doesn't travel through on the return. I have Antronix amps.
--
Those who cant, sing the blues. All hail our tax and sing chief!

boontonflyer

Ringoes, NJ
Thanks,

Paul