Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

4 edits

4 recommendations

[Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

Updated: 02/06/12

Hey guys

I figured I would offer up a few apps I personally consider to be "Must Have"'s when it comes to Android phones. Some of these are of course personal recommendations, although you'll find many of the same apps on all sorts of similar lists. I'll give a little information (Mostly copy/paste of Market description) on each as well. I'll stick to free apps for the moment.

Back Up and Restore

Titanium Backup (REQUIRES ROOT) - Titanium Backup is the most powerful backup tool on Android, and then some. You can backup, restore, freeze (with Pro) your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps (with Pro). You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app's data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app.

SMS Backup & Restore - A simple App to Backup and Restore SMS Messages. Automatic Scheduled Backups, View Backup Contents on the phone, Option to backup selected conversations only, Backups are created in XML Format on the SD Card, The XML can then be converted to other formats and can also be viewed on a computer, Send Backup file by Email, Internet permission for Ads. * MMS not supported yet.

APN Backup & Restore - A simple App to backup and restore APNs (Settings to connect to the internet with the mobile connection). Note: This does not work with Android 4.0 (ICS)

Monitoring Tools

3G Watchdog - Guards you against costly Internet overages. 3G Watchdog data counter monitors your Mobile Internet (4G/3G/Edge/GPRS) data usage, shows a status icon (green/orange/red) in the notification bar and a detailed report page. Widget (2 sizes). And much more!

Battery Circle - Little icon that runs in the notification bar that gives you 1% increments on battery level. Fantastic for phones that don't have this ability by default and for those who don't want to customize their phone through ROMs or modifications.

CPU Spy - This is a simple app to display the time the CPU spends in each frequency state. This can be a useful tool in diagnosing battery problems or tweaking your over-clock settings. It also displays the current kernel information.

File Managing

ES File Explorer - ES File Explorer for Android is a free, featured all-in-one file manager & application manager & task killer & dropbox client & ftp client which explores your phone and your computer. It allows android users anywhere in the world to manage their resources for free, it makes easy to manage, stay connected using your 3G, EDGE or WiFi, and share with friends, upload photos, watch videos.

ASTRO File Manager - Features include: file management, android file browser, file and/or app backup, image and text viewers, networking, Bluetooth, SFTP, Zip/ Tar, downloader, thumbnails, search files, application manager, task manager, attachments and more…

AndroZip - AndroZip File Manager helps you copy, delete, move, search, and organize your files, music, pictures, and folders just like you would do on your PC. With over 4 million downloads and its support of ZIP, encrypted ZIP, RAR, TAR, GZIP and BZIP2. AndroZip File Manager is definitive leader among similar applications on the market.

Useful Tools

AirDroid - AirDroid is a fast, free app that lets you wirelessly manage & control your Android device from a web browser Over-The-Air.

Chrome to Phone - Send links, maps, phone numbers, & more from your Chrome browser to your phone! Google Chrome to Phone lets you easily share links, maps, and currently selected phone numbers and text between your computer running Chrome and your phone. You also need to install the Chrome browser extension on your computer, which can be found by searching for 'Chrome to Phone' at »chrome.google.com/extensions/

ConvertPad - Features: Universal Unit converter and Calculator, Direct Arithmetic Calculation, Real-time conversion and calculation, Currency conversions, Option for selecting favorite exchange rate, Support 160+ Currencies, Multiple languages support, Supports 23 languages, Two preferences as primary & secondary language, Customizing feature for Favorite Units, Favorite Categories and Units, Various Sorting option, User-defined Categories and Units, Feature for adding User-defined units in built-in categories, Feature for making User's own categories and units, Various Setting option, Backup/Restore User-defined Units on SD Card, Support Tablet(Honeycomb & Icecream sandwich)

Evernote - Evernote is an easy-to-use, free app that helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use. Stay organized, save your ideas and improve productivity. Evernote lets you take notes, capture photos, create to-do lists, record voice reminders--and makes these notes completely searchable, whether you are at home, at work, or on the go.

Google Translate - Translate text between more than 60 languages. Translate words and phrases between more than 60 languages using Google Translate for Android. For most languages, you can speak your phrases and hear the corresponding translations.

Timeriffic - Time: Finite...and now well managed. Control mute, vibrate, brightness, wifi and airplane on/off custom to your schedule. Create your own profiles, by time and day.

For the moment, I think I'll just keep this list simple. There are so many other tools that should definitely be on this list, but they require a bit more involvement with customizations/modifications to either the ROM or kernel. Basically a little bit more advanced.

I have no issues with others sharing their opinions and or apps as well, but I do have a favor to ask. Please try to keep the apps as useful as possible and try to stick to the same formatting as above. It will make it easier to read

On a final note, I'll leave you all with one of the best apps for Android...

Zedge - Free wallpapers, ringtones and notification sounds shared by millions of users. Zedge has for years been the most trusted and popular source of free ringtones and wallpapers in the world, and is used by more than 40 million people every month. Zedge is famous for quality, diversity, uniqueness and a massive selection. Note: I highly recommend using this app on WiFi unless you have a decent data plan and or no WiFi nearby.
--
Weeeeeee

badcat2

join:2000-10-18
Glastonbury, CT

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android!

Thanks for posting this. I'm trying out Battery Circle right now.
--
"The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter."

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to nekkidtruth

I would add Evernote and Chrome to Phone.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by gjrhine:

I would add Evernote and Chrome to Phone.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll update the original post with those and some others
--
Weeeeeee

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

tom the talking cat is a must have app

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to nekkidtruth

I'll second titanium backup, but spring for the pro key. When you swap devices or do a reset, its like it never happened. Your apps are all just the same as before the wipe.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to DelmarPip

said by DelmarPip:

tom the talking cat is a must have app

As fun as the app is, I don't consider it a "must have" app hahaha. But it was a good suggestion
--
Weeeeeee

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

I'll second titanium backup, but spring for the pro key. When you swap devices or do a reset, its like it never happened. Your apps are all just the same as before the wipe.

Absolutely. Definitely worth the price, a thousand times over. Makes backing up/restoring a breeze. The freezing of apps is a huge plus as well!
--
Weeeeeee

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

2 edits
reply to nekkidtruth

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

*Pulse

*WIFI File Transfer Pro

*HDR Camera

*Soundhound

*Flashlight

*VLC Remote

*CNN

*Handcent

*Opera Mobile

*Speedtest

*Pandora

*TuneIn Radio

*iHeartRadio

*Movies

*IMDB

*Crackle

*Amazon

*eBay

*Craigslist

*TapaTalk

*Battery Widget

*Volume+

*XDA

*Wifi Analyzer

*ROM Manager (Paid)

*Facebook (My most used app)

*Zedge

*Ice Cream Sandwich Clock

*Ringtone Maker

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nekkidtruth

said by nekkidtruth:

Updated: 02/06/12

Hey guys

I figured I would offer up a few apps I personally consider to be "Must Have"'s when it comes to Android phones.

Thanks!

Some of the apps you've mentioned now come standard on Android Ice Cream Sandwich devices. For instance, ICS monitors your CPU and Mobile Internet.

As far as "must have apps", the only ones that I think are mandatory to have a great Android experience are Titanium Backup and Astro (or any) File Manager. Titanium Backup restores everything when you screw up. And a file manager is essential for finding files on your device.

I use my Galaxy Tab to test new apps and have about 350 that I've tried in the past, some good and some not so good. Not many "must haves" in my list.

Now when it comes to "fun apps", I could write a book!
--
Charlie Rangel/ Gov. Rod Blagojevich 2012 Dem Ticket Honesty is the Dem policy!
"Anyone making under $2 billion is not rich!" Poverty is the Rep policy!

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to nekkidtruth

Here is my list... Most are paid apps because in most cases, ads will chew up your battery extremely fast.

Angry Birds Rio

Archipelago (Free Version here

BeWeather Pro

Box.com

Droid Tally (Probably not for everybody, but a must have for me

Fast Dilbert Reader (I cannot find on Android Market or in Amazon App Store)

iheartradio

PYKL3 Radar

Root Explorer

Shazam Encore

Tapatalk

Titanium Backup

TeslaLED

Torque

Unlock with WiFi

Urbanspoon

Weatherbug Elite

WiFi Analyzer

Wireless Tether for Root Users

X-Plane
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to ztmike

said by ztmike:

*ROM Manager (Paid)

I have ROM manager paid, but I have so far found it completely useless.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to nekkidtruth

Bah. Can't edit anymore. Booo.

Anyway, here's a tool that people will find extremely useful if they don't have a notification LED on the phone.

NoLED - Display custom notification icons/dots on the screen. There are many options included in the app that help you customize your notifications and have them delivered the way you want. From Audio and Vibration reminders to Battery saving features and custom colors/icons for each notification type.

--
Weeeeeee

NGOwner

join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS

1 edit
reply to nekkidtruth

Agenda Widget for Android: The best calendar widget I've run across. I use it every day. Free.

Roam Control: A godsend for CDMA folks (Sprint) to force your Android phone to roam on another network for calls when CDMA coverage is weak. Requires root, and is a paid app ($4).

Nemus Launcher: I had no idea how inexplicably bad the included Samsung launcher was until I rooted my phone and put on a custom ROM. This home replacement program came with the custom ROM I'm using, and I love it. Free.

Weather Notification: This is a simple app that puts the temperature of the location you're at in the notification bar. You'll always know what the temp is outside. Uses your location (coarse or fine) to figure out where you are. Slick. And free.

[NG]Owner
--
It is impossible to create an idiot-proof product. Humanity is simply too adept at churning out better idiots.

tmaertin
Crash Into Me
Premium
join:2002-04-03
North Tonawanda, NY
reply to nekkidtruth

I will throw my hat in the ring with some root apps that I use - a lot of my friends are dismayed when they see my original droid X runs faster that their new (insert name of newest dual core phone here) and then see i am getting a much greater amount of battery life to boot (using the first three apps literally had my phone sitting at 70% battery life at 3pm at work, when before that I was at 20% and would have to charge it in case I needed my phone driving home). Thats just from killing unneeded services and apps from running. Again, you need to be rooted to use these to their full capabilities.

Autorun Manager (free) and Autostarts ($1.03) - both of these prevent programs from starting when your phone boots and hanging open. for those coming from windows, sort of like managing startup and services in msconfig.

Gemini App Manager (free) - love this app. i use it with the Gemeni Task Killer Widget to kill running tasks. You can set apps to never kill and then quickly hit the widget and kill everything else that is open. This is a manual task killer - by not autokilling it does not suck up valuable battery. You can also control autostarts from this app.

Gemini Installer and Clear (free) - can be used as an install manager, but i use the mostly as a cache clearing utility (there is a widget built in for this as well)

Ad Free Android (free) - sure, you can mod your own hosts file, but this is a nice easy way and since I travel a lot I can update on the fly.

Avast Mobile Security (free) - everyone has their opinion on whether an antivirus is necessary for the Android OS. Forget that for a moment and focus on the firewall here. You can lock apps out of communication, so NO ADS in apps like Angry Birds! You can also lock out all apps while roaming, thus avoiding those pesky $10k bills that are always in the news. Another nice feature is the antitheft capabilities and the ability to schedule antivirus scans. Its also uses a small memory footprint (3-5mb).

ES File Explorer (free) - mentioned by the OP - and I second that. allowed me to remove or rename apps i did not want/need/use.

I will edit this thread with the best tethering app I can find - trying a few out now. any opinions on those are always appreciated. I hope this helps people who are rooted make their device the way it should have ran from the beginning. The best part is on this whole list - you will spend a buck.
--
Hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to nekkidtruth

can't believe no one's mentions gosms yet: »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···jb.gosms
simply the best SMS app on the market. auto-backups, private message lock box, custom icons, notifications, and settings per contact, robust popup notification, themes, very customizable. it has an optional plugin that lets you data chat with another gosms users so you dont use texts, plus it can upload pictures and audio to gosms servers and when they load they merely load off their servers meaning if you have WiFi and no 3g/4g you still see the MMS. There's a doodle pad where you can draw anything and send it to anyone (gosms not required by recipient) and a built-in sound recorder. nothing else even comes close to GoSMS. i'd pay like 10 bux for it, but it's free.

Juice Defender »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···defender
very complex app. i have Ultimate, which lets me micromanage my connections. I wouldnt really call this a battery saving app so much as an automation app. I have mine configured to kill wifi if a previously connected-to SSID isnt available (and it checks for an SSID every 20 minutes) and to kill my data when the screen is off. This saves battery, but these are things i used to do manually. as soon as i leave work i would turn off wifi. as soon as i plug in my phone to my car charger, i would turn on data. before turning off the screen i would turn off all data connections. This app does all that for you, and allows you to create exceptions. Want Wifi off when not at home or work? this will do that. want all data off when the screen is off? this can do that, and you can set it to turn data on every x minutes to sync background apps while it's still in your pokcet. It "learns" your wireless networks and you can set each network to keep wifi enabled when connected, like i do for work and home. coming in to work, it will see my location and then turn wifi on and connect to my work's network.

JD is a very complicated program if you want it to be. for me it basically automates shit i used to do manually, like toggling data connections.

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Seward, AK

I'll second GoSMS. Also Go Contacts As they tend to work well together.

Droidwall A nice easy to use firewall, requires ROOT.

Sensorly Its a coverage mapping app. It will show you where actual users have recieved coverage and what sort of signal strength. If you turn on sharing, it will record your signal levels and location to share with others, all anonymously. Also has a speed test function.

AVG Antivirus You may not need it, but I feel safer with it since my phone is rooted and I have it set to install from sources other than Google

Apps OrganizerA handy little app that lets you set up folder to organize your apps into, even lets you set custom icons for the folders.

App Organizer in action

Elixir 2 It lets you set up custom widgets that allow you to fit more options into the same space as before. Also has a lot of neat built in functionality, like CPU meter, switches for turning on and off pretty much everything. There is also the older Elixir that works great, but I Just started using 2 and like its extra options. Its one of the few apps I would pay for if it wasnt free.

My Elixir2 widgets

I have a bunch more utility apps that I would recommend, but these are the major ones.
--
Im Your Boogeyman, Thats What I Am

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
reply to nekkidtruth

A must have.

Mobilism Market
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to nekkidtruth

My Top Apps

1. Evernote
2. Whatsapp
3. Handcent SMS
4. Cubed(music player)
5. Power Control(Widget)

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to nekkidtruth

I love these apps:

Evernote
Cubby
Nightstand Bold
Pulse
--

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to nekkidtruth

I would really recommend Dolphin Browser!
Each update brings new features and gets it closer to safari..

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
reply to nekkidtruth

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Waze.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

said by Mister_E:

Second that...love Waze. Absolutely amazing FREE GPS / Nav app....uses the hive / collective for current / up to date notifications of slow downs, traffic jams, cops, etc that users can put in...can even say whats up to other Waze users.

Very cool app
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

said by Koil:

said by Mister_E:

Second that...love Waze. Absolutely amazing FREE GPS / Nav app....uses the hive / collective for current / up to date notifications of slow downs, traffic jams, cops, etc that users can put in...can even say whats up to other Waze users.

Very cool app

Looks like a nice app, but the permissions really concern me, as it can record voice and take pictures and video without your permission.

Hardware controls
change your audio settings
Allows the app to modify global audio settings such as volume and routing.
record audio
Allows the app to access the audio record path.
take pictures and videos
Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the app at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Looks like a nice app, but the permissions really concern me, as it can record voice and take pictures and video without your permission.

The permissions on 90% of the Android apps concern me and IMHO are way overkill for what they really need. I can't believe that people don't read this stuff or they just lay there and take it. Other then boycotting each app, I wish there was a way to selective limit the permissions. But I agree, taking pictures and recording voice, is going a bit too far for this one.

Mister_E

Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to skj

Waze Incident Report
Waze uses voice recording for voice commands and dictation.

Pictures - it allows you to take pictures of traffic incidents to attach to reports if you're inclined.

I've circled where the options appear in the incident report screen above.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

The problem is not that it can record and take pictures, the problem is that you are giving it permission to do that without your knowledge.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

Mister_E

Etobicoke, ON

On the contrary...I installed and happily use Waze knowing what it's permission requirements are.

skj
Premium,Mod
Gone South

said by Mister_E:

On the contrary...I installed and happily use Waze knowing what it's permission requirements are.

Not on the contrary, knowing what the permissions are, you are giving it permission to record voice and take pictures on its own without your input.
--

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

I see no indication of that. Because an app notifies you that it _can_ access the camera (hence, you take the picture and upload it) does not mean the app can simply take random photos all by itself. What you are thinking of is Skynet... not an Android app.

For example.... ever use Google+? Here is one of the permissions:

"Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the app at any time to collect images the camera is seeing."

Same as Waze. If you know Google apps, then you know what this means is that the user takes the photo and then the app has access to that photo.