spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

I would really recommend Dolphin Browser!
Each update brings new features and gets it closer to safari..
Mister_E
join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Waze.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

said by Mister_E:

Second that...love Waze. Absolutely amazing FREE GPS / Nav app....uses the hive / collective for current / up to date notifications of slow downs, traffic jams, cops, etc that users can put in...can even say whats up to other Waze users.

Very cool app

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj

Mod

said by Koil:

said by Mister_E:

Second that...love Waze. Absolutely amazing FREE GPS / Nav app....uses the hive / collective for current / up to date notifications of slow downs, traffic jams, cops, etc that users can put in...can even say whats up to other Waze users.

Very cool app

Looks like a nice app, but the permissions really concern me, as it can record voice and take pictures and video without your permission.

Hardware controls
change your audio settings
Allows the app to modify global audio settings such as volume and routing.
record audio
Allows the app to access the audio record path.
take pictures and videos
Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the app at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Looks like a nice app, but the permissions really concern me, as it can record voice and take pictures and video without your permission.

The permissions on 90% of the Android apps concern me and IMHO are way overkill for what they really need. I can't believe that people don't read this stuff or they just lay there and take it. Other then boycotting each app, I wish there was a way to selective limit the permissions. But I agree, taking pictures and recording voice, is going a bit too far for this one.
Mister_E
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E to skj

to skj

Waze Incident Report
Waze uses voice recording for voice commands and dictation.

Pictures - it allows you to take pictures of traffic incidents to attach to reports if you're inclined.

I've circled where the options appear in the incident report screen above.

skj
Mod
Gone South

skj

Mod

The problem is not that it can record and take pictures, the problem is that you are giving it permission to do that without your knowledge.
Mister_E
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E

On the contrary...I installed and happily use Waze knowing what it's permission requirements are.

skj
Mod
Gone South

skj

Mod

said by Mister_E:

On the contrary...I installed and happily use Waze knowing what it's permission requirements are.

Not on the contrary, knowing what the permissions are, you are giving it permission to record voice and take pictures on its own without your input.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I see no indication of that. Because an app notifies you that it _can_ access the camera (hence, you take the picture and upload it) does not mean the app can simply take random photos all by itself. What you are thinking of is Skynet... not an Android app.

For example.... ever use Google+? Here is one of the permissions:

"Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the app at any time to collect images the camera is seeing."

Same as Waze. If you know Google apps, then you know what this means is that the user takes the photo and then the app has access to that photo.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by tcope:

I see no indication of that. Because an app notifies you that it _can_ access the camera (hence, you take the picture and upload it) does not mean the app can simply take random photos all by itself.

Problem is even if just bad wording in the permission... the possibility appears to be there.
Vs say access to camera so YOU can post through the app.

Several other app permissions give this impression too.

And a malicious person probably can get an app to do that.

Need to be spelled out that the app can ONLY do it with your permission/direction.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to mastsethi

Premium Member

to mastsethi
said by mastsethi:

I would really recommend Dolphin Browser!
Each update brings new features and gets it closer to safari..

And that is some how impressive??? Hardly the high point in the browser world unless you are an Applehead.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Mister_E

Premium Member

to Mister_E
said by Waze permissions :

- Network communication. Allows you to use the full potential of waze, and share real-time traffic data.

What if I don't want to share my real-time traffic data? Is there an option to turn it off/on?

And related question - does Waze support off-line navigation?
Mister_E
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E

said by OZO:

What if I don't want to share my real-time traffic data? Is there an option to turn it off/on?

That would defeat the purpose of the app...the idea is to get real-time (or a close as possible) traffic data. While you're driving, you're helping to provide that data into the system.

Along with traffic, you may also get information about police speed traps as they're occurring (or, you could be the first to report it), accidents and hazards.

Further to that, Waze can be used to update map information - i.e. if you're in a new development area, you can actually use Waze to map-out the road(s) and add that to the map database - maps will then be updated for everyone. With that said, if by 'off-line navigation' you mean without a network connection it would only work if you've already had some map data previously cached - venture past your cached data and you won't have any map data that the app could use. I'd also assume that cached map data gets stale and may expire.

Again, the true benefits/power of Waze comes from it's ability to connect to the network and have updated data. Otherwise, a plain old GPS system is what you want.

I've been an avid Garmin user for years, but after using Waze, my old Garmin GPS has only seen use as a dust collector...
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Got it. Thank you. It's kind of a service, that is similar to Google Maps, which was made with the main purpose of collecting / tracking data from its users while they're driving around. They too do not offer off-line navigation (perhaps for the very same reason) making map cache to expire quite soon so you have to go online again and share your current location and directions you're driving to... I'm not a social type of person and don't want to share my path were I'm driving with everyone. Thus, I'll better stick with my old Garmin to get reliable navigation without that social sharing hassle...

What application on rooted Android phone do you guys use/recommend for blocking particular apps from accessing the internet?
leeanne172
leeanne172
join:2003-01-28
Toronto Ont

leeanne172

I use droidwall and LBE privacy guard, both free and work wonderfully
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Thank you, leeanne172 See Profile

Fobulous
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Fobulous to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
I have to add another one if this has not been added.

Whatsapp
Nick Johnson
join:2012-06-28

Nick Johnson to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth
> ASTRO File Manager

> AndroZip

Thanks man, for suggesting these apps for file management,, I was looking for some good apps for managing my files....

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth
shocked that Tasker is not on the list. Best automating app ever. It should be standard on any Android phone.

skj
Mod
Gone South

skj

Mod

Could be because it is expensive in terms of app costs.

battlesite
Premium Member
join:2001-03-24
Burbank, CA

battlesite to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
When you guys list apps here in this thread, could you please also add a couple sentences saying what each one does and why you like it or what makes it better than others?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

1 recommendation

Hayward0 to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth

Must Have App if you have a ROKU... stream anything to TV

Its called JUICE

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· 1aWNlIl0.

It allows you to stream near anything from your Android through ROKU to your TV wirelessly. Photos, Video, Music, even Audio RSS and podcast feeds.

Even Cooler thing is while streaming you still have full use of your Android to do other things... even streaming a video to another TV and watching on on the device if your processor can handle that.
Also as its all local wifi it is very fast, near instant even initial buffer loading a HD video file.

My Transformer has an HDMI port, but this is so much easier than patching it in every time, and the tablet stays mobile AS WELL as still usable for other purposes, it isn't when direct outputting HDMI.

One of a handful of paid apps I have and worth far more than the meager $2.99 asked. The dev is also very responsive to trouble issues and suggestions... often in hours.

It can also serve as a better than the one you get, remote for your ROKU, even if you aren't streaming anything

There is also a free trial version, if you just want to see it works OK for you.

PS you must also load the JUICE channel from the ROKU ch store which is free.

Also if your friends have ROKU you can go to their house and do the same thing as long as they have loaded the JUICE channel on
their ROKU.

Only minor flaw is the auto find feature. Mine are both last gen ROKU and doesn't find them, but check ROKU settings for what ip it has and manual enter that... then no problem.

Oh and another plus thing is it is rotationally sensitive which is great as most of the time my Transformer is keyboard docked, and JUICE works and reformatted for it looks fine in landscape mode.
theraven146
join:2012-07-25

theraven146 to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

Nice bunch of apps. However I like the MX Player app to be in that list. I enjoy MULTI-CORE DECODING and CPU OPTIMIZATION with the app. It is the first Android video player of its kind. I recommend everybody to have this app.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

Seems it is mentioned in here relative to others... maybe not.

But I agree, best I have come across. But the thing I love best is the video swipe scanning precise to a second or two or fast big swipe minutes. VS the typical very coarse (on but very short video) slider bar.

mastsethi
join:2012-05-26

mastsethi to theraven146

to theraven146
Indeed it is the best. I have used a lot of video players but MX is the only one which has worked flawlessly. Takes just second to load, play and exit.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
Interesting apps. Also looks like no one reads .. else:
Kindle, Nook apps would have been mentioned.
I leave out google books [It came with my nexus], and the other e-book apps because I'm not that familiar with them.

Then you have Overdrive. It's a cross platform app.
»www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

It allows you to check out e-book from your local library. You can also check out audio books [if your library has them available]. So far it seems to use Amazon to get the books.

My writing spot: »www.mywritingspot.com/

Another cross platform app. It's a simple note pad type of thing. On my nexus, I can speak, and it'll try to "type" what I say.
What I like is how I can cynch my notes on my Ipad, Nexus and PC with this app.
Nick Johnson
join:2012-06-28

Nick Johnson to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth
Temple Run
Angry Bird
Paper Toss
Talking Tom
These apps helps to keep the boredom away from the users.......

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
I really like this new game called Agent Dash

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to nekkidtruth

Premium Member

to nekkidtruth
Weatherbug Elite (paid)
Alarm Clock Extreme (paid)
Baseball Superstars 2010 (paid)
Battery Circle (thanks for the recommendation)
Fun Putt Mini Golf (paid)
Google Drive
Opera Mini Web Browser
Power Amp Music Player (paid)
Swiftkey 3 (paid)
Pocketcasts (paid)
Tweetcaster pro (paid)
Zenonia 2 (paid)
Amazon App Store