skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1
reply to Da Geek Kid

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

Could be because it is expensive in terms of app costs.

battlesite
Premium
join:2001-03-24
Burbank, CA
reply to nekkidtruth

When you guys list apps here in this thread, could you please also add a couple sentences saying what each one does and why you like it or what makes it better than others?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to nekkidtruth

Must Have App if you have a ROKU... stream anything to TV

Its called JUICE

»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···1aWNlIl0.

It allows you to stream near anything from your Android through ROKU to your TV wirelessly. Photos, Video, Music, even Audio RSS and podcast feeds.

Even Cooler thing is while streaming you still have full use of your Android to do other things... even streaming a video to another TV and watching on on the device if your processor can handle that.
Also as its all local wifi it is very fast, near instant even initial buffer loading a HD video file.

My Transformer has an HDMI port, but this is so much easier than patching it in every time, and the tablet stays mobile AS WELL as still usable for other purposes, it isn't when direct outputting HDMI.

One of a handful of paid apps I have and worth far more than the meager $2.99 asked. The dev is also very responsive to trouble issues and suggestions... often in hours.

It can also serve as a better than the one you get, remote for your ROKU, even if you aren't streaming anything

There is also a free trial version, if you just want to see it works OK for you.

PS you must also load the JUICE channel from the ROKU ch store which is free.

Also if your friends have ROKU you can go to their house and do the same thing as long as they have loaded the JUICE channel on
their ROKU.

Only minor flaw is the auto find feature. Mine are both last gen ROKU and doesn't find them, but check ROKU settings for what ip it has and manual enter that... then no problem.

Oh and another plus thing is it is rotationally sensitive which is great as most of the time my Transformer is keyboard docked, and JUICE works and reformatted for it looks fine in landscape mode.
--

theraven146

join:2012-07-25
reply to nekkidtruth

Nice bunch of apps. However I like the MX Player app to be in that list. I enjoy MULTI-CORE DECODING and CPU OPTIMIZATION with the app. It is the first Android video player of its kind. I recommend everybody to have this app.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

Seems it is mentioned in here relative to others... maybe not.

But I agree, best I have come across. But the thing I love best is the video swipe scanning precise to a second or two or fast big swipe minutes. VS the typical very coarse (on but very short video) slider bar.
--

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to theraven146

Indeed it is the best. I have used a lot of video players but MX is the only one which has worked flawlessly. Takes just second to load, play and exit.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to nekkidtruth

Interesting apps. Also looks like no one reads .. else:
Kindle, Nook apps would have been mentioned.
I leave out google books [It came with my nexus], and the other e-book apps because I'm not that familiar with them.

Then you have Overdrive. It's a cross platform app.
»www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

It allows you to check out e-book from your local library. You can also check out audio books [if your library has them available]. So far it seems to use Amazon to get the books.

My writing spot: »www.mywritingspot.com/

Another cross platform app. It's a simple note pad type of thing. On my nexus, I can speak, and it'll try to "type" what I say.
What I like is how I can cynch my notes on my Ipad, Nexus and PC with this app.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Nick Johnson

join:2012-06-28
reply to nekkidtruth

Temple Run
Angry Bird
Paper Toss
Talking Tom
These apps helps to keep the boredom away from the users.......

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to nekkidtruth

I really like this new game called Agent Dash

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to nekkidtruth

Weatherbug Elite (paid)
Alarm Clock Extreme (paid)
Baseball Superstars 2010 (paid)
Battery Circle (thanks for the recommendation)
Fun Putt Mini Golf (paid)
Google Drive
Opera Mini Web Browser
Power Amp Music Player (paid)
Swiftkey 3 (paid)
Pocketcasts (paid)
Tweetcaster pro (paid)
Zenonia 2 (paid)
Amazon App Store
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25

One thing to remember about the Amazon App Store is that they do not always get the updates as quickly as Google Play. So unless it is the FAOTD or cheaper, I try and stick with Google Play.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nekkidtruth

Since the fall tv season has started there's a really good app called TV Show Favs.

Shows you upcoming shows in a widget and you can mark them "to do" and see a calender view.

Here's my widget. »/r0/download/2···5-36.png It's scrollable
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

djtim21
It's all good
Premium
join:2003-12-22
Lake Villa, IL
reply to nekkidtruth

My list of apps also has AGPS: »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···0dXMyIl0.

This helps with phones that have poor GPS locks. You can use with non-rooted phones as well. Will help reset your GPS and download current satellite positions. I use my navigation often, and this helps when I'm in a new city and need to find places.
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to MagicalPig

said by MagicalPig:

One thing to remember about the Amazon App Store is that they do not always get the updates as quickly as Google Play. So unless it is the FAOTD or cheaper, I try and stick with Google Play.

People with the ultra cheap devices, that don't pay the Google membership cost and restrictions, Amazon is the only choice.
--

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nekkidtruth

RunPee. Ever since my movie theater started serving beer this app has come in handy. It tells you when you can go take a piss during a movie. Every movie in theater is in there and it's updated regularly. Even tells you what you're going to miss, the time you can miss (you can even start a timer).

It's one of most useful apps on android.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25

This is awesome I can't wait to try it out. I love how when you first install it and it updates the DB the yellow (pee) fills the screen.

join:2012-05-24
Milpitas, CA
reply to nekkidtruth

thanks for your suggestions

iPhone Application Developers|Android Application Development

Gremeaunk49

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to Nick Johnson

Talking Tom. I just love this app even my little sister also.:)

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

RunPee. Ever since my movie theater started serving beer this app has come in handy. It tells you when you can go take a piss during a movie. Every movie in theater is in there and it's updated regularly. Even tells you what you're going to miss, the time you can miss (you can even start a timer).

It's one of most useful apps on android.

Hee heee
Ours sells Fin De Monde (End of the World in French) Beer its like 9.5% at $5 and Bud $3 its more bang for the buck and alleviates the pee problem. Much more tasty too.
--

Expand your moderator at work

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
reply to nekkidtruth

Productivity:
Astrid Tasks – task manager
K-9 Mail – awesome unified inbox mail application
Executive Assistant – unifies tasks, calendar, SMS, email applications (like the above) and other tools into one location
Grocery King – shopping list
Folder Organizer – organize and group your applications
ES File Explorer - A real file management and transfer tool
WiFi Analyzer – does what it says, analyzes channel availability/available networks/signal strength

Keyboard:
SwiftKey 3 – I’ve tried the majors and like this best

Fun:
Pulse - News Feed Aggregation
Beautiful Widgets – clock/calendar shortcut/weather
BeyondPod – podcast player/reader
Ambling Book Player – great audio book player, allows you to switch between books without losing your place
SoundHound – names that tune
Scanner Radio – police and fire scanner

Specialty Apps:
Unified Remote – home theater PC controller/mouse/keyboard
Droid Light – flashlight
Banking & auto insurance apps
Amazon AppStore
Wolfram Alpha – math and statistics
Ulysse Gizmos – compass/level/magnetometer/GPS status monitor
OnTrack - blood glucose tracking for diabetics
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to nekkidtruth

Hola-Web accelerator for root. Uses multiple connections, compression, custom DNS, caching, and alternate peers/servers to speed up every web app.

System Tuner Pro-Exposes the guts of a rooted system in a very nice and presentable manner. Can get nice speed gains here. Great backup system on par with Titanium Backup.

Dolphin Jetpack-Custom html5 engine for Dolphin Browser, instead of stock. Very fast and smooth.

Llama-Great automation app and free. For almost every aspect of my phone automated via this app.

Adaway-To block those pesky ad networks using up mobile data

Airblocker-Detect and block Airpush. Leaves such apps functional

Cache Cleaner NG-Does as it says and allows app exclusions. Handy for ICS cache bogdowns. Root only.

Silent boot-mutes that pesky boot up noise brigade. Introduced to my once silent Pantech Burst in ICS.

Swapper/Swapper2 Better performance via swap files. I personally modify the oom killer to be light handed and let this take up the slack. App crashes are almost a thing of the past.

Wifi Fixer-Address many wifi issues and forces reconnect if finds no internet.

3G Reconnect-The best carriers and some phones drop the ball on your mobile data connection sometimes. This monitors according to system status and gets you reconnected in the background before its far gone enough to need a reboot. Never been without working data since first day of install.

Better Battery Stats-Free from XDA. Donate version in Play Store. The only battery monitoring app with enough info for me to hunt down some deceptive battery eaters on my phone. Tripled the lousy battery life I was getting in 1 day of use. Tried others, no help. Even better, it polls the stats collected internally by Android, so using it is not a battery waster.

alogcat-Have system issues? This will help hunt them down. Much like the logcat viewer in Linux.

Most of these help your system run better. The entertainment part of things is up to your individual taste
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to nekkidtruth

Lifehacker Pack for Android: Our List of the Best Android Apps
BY: Alan Henry
Your Android phone may be the best hardware on the market, but everyone knows it's the apps that help you make the most of your Android device—whether it's brand new or a few years old. For our third annual Lifehacker Pack for Android, we're highlighting the apps that help you stay productive, stay connected, and stay informed and entertained, not to mention a few that will make your Android phone just that much better.

»lifehacker.com/5924212/lifehacke···oid-apps

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to nekkidtruth

Wi-Fi Analyzer

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6
reply to nekkidtruth

(topic move) [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »Airdroid Help Needed

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

2 edits
reply to sholling

said by sholling:

Amazon AppStore

If you have Google Play access really sort of a PITA. Everything on Amazon is on Play. (And not vice versa)

Problem is both see the common apps as updatable but you can only update from the source it came from (but you don't find out until after DL in the install stage)

Gets messy.... for that reason I only occasionally take AMAZON free APP of the day... but otherwise stick to PLAY.

EDIT Actually now that I think about it Google had never asked me to update an Amazon acquired APP, but AMAZON does not make that distinction and wants to update everything it offers gotten there or not (but then fails if so) So I never us Amazon Update... probably missed some updates of those FAOD because of that.

Though on many generic (and Amazon) non Google licensed devices, Amazon is the only (ed. really equivalent full) market choice.
--

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

said by Hayward:

said by sholling:

Amazon AppStore

If you have Google Play access really sort of a PITA. Everything on Amazon is on Play. (And not vice versa)

Problem is both see the common apps as updatable but you can only update from the source it came from (but you don't find out until after DL in the install stage)

Gets messy.... for that reason I only occasionally take AMAZON free APP of the day... but otherwise stick to PLAY.

Though on many generic (and Amazon) non Google licensed devices, Amazon is the only choice.

I call BS on your last statement. A friend picked up a trio 4.3 mini tablet with ICS, but no Google App license. She was ready to give it up because she tried to install from Google Play on web(lol) without a Play Store app and naturally failed. She only wanted free apps, so I set her up with 1Mobile Market(has pretty much all free apps play has and a few, but nothing is a paid app) and told her about SlideMe, Mobilism, and GetJar. So we have

1. Amazon
2. 1Mobile Market
3. SlideME Market
4. GetJar
5. Mobilism
6. Likely more

Amazon is a pain in the ass. To say generic users are relinquished to that thorn in the anus is utterly false. In fact, I gave her 1Mobile because it searches for free big name apps much better than Play or any of them. It can silently update like play with root too. Otherwise, you just click an install prompt.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

OK point taken, and actually have tried a few you mention on generics and found them to be rather thorn in the side too in many respects...

Maybe I should have said for those, Amazon is the only near equivalent Play source (one stop paid and free full market)
--

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

1Mobile has come a long way. It's the only one I regularly use besides the Play Store. The others are pretty much a last resort. SlideME has some paid apps, as well. A few were ones Google pulled for take down notice BS. Selection is more limited but a few apps are exclusive, thanks to Google.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to nekkidtruth

Can anyone recommend a good Visual Voicemail app, free or paid? I read through most of the thread, but not all, so I may have missed it. I'm running stock 4.2.1 on my GNex.