Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to PeeWee

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

Google Voice is your friend. Good visual voicemail with lots of other features. Even got my voicemail over wifi when AT&T had the hiccups during sandy. Combined forwarding features with VoIP and never missed a beat(or a call that I wanted to take). Being a Google App, it is very well integrated into Android.

dlsauers

join:2005-10-25
Wellston, OH
reply to nekkidtruth

Re: Suggested applications...

Suggested applications for:

Spoken email|gmail, SMS? Not just for vehicle use.

Grocery lists - ABSOLUTELY MUST be able to share AND UPDATE list(s) by multiple users even those on different carriers/devices. Scan UPC to cross off list(s), scan UPC to add to list(s), aisles for stores...

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
reply to nekkidtruth

a new app I found not mentioned here that is a MUST for rooted phones is Adfree. »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···n.adfree

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
I use AdAway, which does the same thing(modifies hosts file) and pulls from multiple lists. Then I follow up with Airblocker(instructions say ad blocker updates override it but using it 2nd lets them cooperate) for that nasty Airpush. I use a few Airpush apps and only knew it by scanning. It really blocks that annoying crap without using their suspect opt-out that kills some enabled apps from what I heard.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Airdroid - Just try it.

»airdroid.com/

What an awesome friggin app. Be sure and use chrome as your browser on the mac/pc side to be able to use the folder feature. Every android user should get this app. and it's friggin' FREE!
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to nekkidtruth
Recently added Avast because i need to be able to disable my phone if it gets lost/stolen. Any recommendations for best app?
I was between where's my droid and avast.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Da Geek Kid

[Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 21 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone

join:2004-05-31

1 edit
reply to nekkidtruth

Here's a few I can't live without. All are free and some have donate versions, so consider that if you find one appealing. First those without root requirements:

DayWeekBar - Adds the date & day to the statusbar.

QuickPic - A better, faster, less bloated gallery.

Gas Buddy - Find the cheapest gas.

Yelp - Find reliable contractors/businesses (but be aware many reviewers don't care about cost).

VLC Direct Pro Free - Stream media from your desktop to your Android device through VLC. Great for homebrew DVRs but requires geeky skills to set up.

TeamViewer - No-brainer remote desktop (requires desktop version running as well).

MyPhoneExplorer - Sync your Android to Outlook (requires desktop app also). Not perfect, but the best I've found for free. It can do more than sync, but that's all I care about. Also, like many free apps, the desktop installer offers a browser toolbar, just deselect it.

The following apps require root:

Wifi Pass Recovery & Backup - Easy way to backup/restore all the wifi networks you connect to, or share that really complex WPA key with your friends who can't understand why your password isn't "password".

AFWall+ - An improved & frequently updated version of Droidwall, controls which apps can access wifi/2G-3G-4G/roaming.

PDroid - This is by far the most powerful & trickiest app of the bunch. It requires patching & flashing your ROM (which I believe must be a custom ROM such as Paranoid Android, AOKP, AOSP, or Cyanogenmod). This allows you to block/spoof various permissions per app. Follow the links to read up on it & it's successors for ICS & JB. Indispensable if you're geeky enough to understand/care how much information is harvested about you through your phone.
--
Government controlled healthcare? Name one thing government does efficiently and effectively!

robbiek

join:2013-02-25
reply to nekkidtruth
some of my faves,

evernote, yelp, adaway, gasbuddy, angrybirds.

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to nekkidtruth
With all the snooping of connections, especially in the US (go figure! ) It's essential to have a secure connection, and with open 802.11a|b|g|n its even more so...

FEATVPN - FREE OpenVPN (NO ROOT!)
»www.featvpn.com/

You can download an ZIP OPVN profile, and it will use that to connect. No unzip'ng needed! Enter your credentials and away you go!

Works great! I've verified this to provide a connection to my VPN providers.

VLC HD Remote - Control (FREE) and STREAM (PAID ONLY $3.00)
»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···hd&hl=en

Allows you to control VLC via its web interface and even stream TO YOUR ANDROID device. I found this after the VLC Direct was listed here, and I found I prefer VLC HD Remote.
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to nekkidtruth
I have many apps that I like and have downloaded to my new (used) S3. But I think the all time winner for me is Swiftkey.

Since it was in beta it's been on my phones. But now I've been playing with the Swiftkey Flow. Wow. I'm old and haven't grown up with smart phones and tiny keys etc. So I'm VERY slow typing on a phone screen. One of the reasons I got my original Droid was it had a keyboard. Well, the S3 doesn't and I was worried I would have a major problem. The screen was big enough I could type as long as I was careful and used the Swiftkey predictive words.

I tell ya, this flow is like magic. I think most of the time I'm not even close to swirling past the right letters and it knows, about 99.9% of the time what I want. With that and the predictive words, I'm actually going pretty fast. My worst problem now is to learn to swirl my finger over the screen instead of type.
--
Damn spy drones!
They are interfering
with my sun spots.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
said by beck:

I have many apps that I like and have downloaded to my new (used) S3. But I think the all time winner for me is Swiftkey.

I suppose if I had to deal with a virtual Keybord I might agree.

But with a Keyboard docked ASUS Transformer...really not necessary....and most see it as a laptop not the double powered docked tablet it is... unless they notice me touch controlling it.

I have played with Swiftkey...actually has a few things even useful on a physical keyboard but not a lot.

It is a great thing but what really irked me was when they released the Tablet version... you had to rebuy it... not you get it because you had already supported (paid) them and had a tablet before we came up with this and had already paid for it... you want me to do it AGAIN???? No Way.

--

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
I thought this was a discussion on must have apps. Not a discussion of why you don't like someone else's choices.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

1 recommendation

reply to nekkidtruth
Lookout Mobile Security. I have been using the app for quite a while. I recently read about a new feature called Lock Cam. What it does is take a picture, using the phone's front camera, if there have been more than three unsuccessful attempts to unlock the phone. Along with the picture, it sends you the phone's location. I tried it and it works, and it is part of the free version.
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to nekkidtruth
For a change a worthwhile bunch even if some root dependent.
--

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to nekkidtruth
TransDroid - (FREE)
»www.transdroid.org/

Allows you to control your torrent software be it local Ktorrent or your seedbox via your Droid device.

»transdroid.org/latest

You can also do searches from the application.

A good way to keep on an eye on your torrent progress.
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
reply to nekkidtruth
3D Flip Clock and World Weather

This is a good replacement for the standard HTC weather app if you root and install a plain vanilla version of Android.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
Agreed. I use that one, and it's pretty customizable.
Expand your moderator at work

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to nekkidtruth

Google now (search ) has become an essential part of my phone. It pisses me off when i see friends phones and it's not even turned on.

Turn it on. Now.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone

join:2004-05-31
reply to nekkidtruth
F-Droid - Now that all the ad-blockers have been booted from Google Play, many have taken up residence at F-Droid along with tons of other free & open-source apps. F-Droid also has their own client app available at the link above.
--
Government controlled healthcare? Name one thing government does efficiently and effectively!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to nekkidtruth
If you are plagued like me with Wifi disconnects on any of your GNex, Nexus 4, 7 or 10 devices, you may want try the free Wifi Manager app at »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···hZ2VyIl0.

I have the GNex and a Nexus 7, and both have been losing Wifi connection constantly and not reconnecting. Running 4.2.2 stock. I installed the above app 24 hours ago and not one disconnect yet. Hopefully this recommendation is not premature.

techsup1983

join:2013-03-23

3 edits
reply to nekkidtruth
Click for full size
Here is a photo of my download apps. I don't use them all. But the ones which i frequently use are:
Met Office (weather app)
Job Search (I need a new job)
Groupon (for daily deals)
Dolphin Browser HD (for browsing the web)
MX Player (for watching movies/shows)
Night Mode (turning down the brightness lower than default)
CCNA Quiz (self explanitory)
uTorrent (need i explain!!!)
Fing (network troubleshooting/info tool)
Ping Total (ping from phone utility)
Speed Test (speedtest.net app)
Navigon Europe (awsome satnav)
Task List (for making study notes/shopping list/reminders ect)
Android Assistant (system tuner/monitor many other things)
Whats App (chatting)
AdAway (removing annoying adverts)
Dropbox (for retrieving my files from the cloud)
ES File Explorer (file browsing)

Portmonkey
My watch stopped
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL
reply to nekkidtruth
Click for full size
eWeather HD
Since storm season is about to start, I decided to purchase a detailed weather app a few days ago for my tablet and chose eWeather HD. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite apps. There's almost too much information. I'm still learning how to use the app and there's some information I don't fully understand. I don't use any of the widgets but there are several including the clock in the screen shot. Almost everything can be clicked or swiped to bring up different types of information. The maps are very detailed almost to the point it's a jumbled mess where I can't tell what's going on, so I disabled a few things. I've set weather alerts to use sound and appear in the notification area until I click to disable, which may get changed as it could prove difficult to sleep. This app has almost every if not every type of alert known to mankind, some of which I doubt I'll ever find useful like those related to avalanches and surfing. I've also set it to alert for any earthquakes over 5.0 and within 500 miles. I'm monitoring the weather in my hometown and a town not far to the west that usually gets hit with storms shortly before they arrive here. I suspect that just about any weather junkie would like this app, at least as far as what can be found in the Google Play store.
--
We've gone from the way things really are, to how someone wants them to be.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

If you are plagued like me with Wifi disconnects on any of your GNex, Nexus 4, 7 or 10 devices, you may want try the free Wifi Manager app at »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···hZ2VyIl0.

I have the GNex and a Nexus 7, and both have been losing Wifi connection constantly and not reconnecting. Running 4.2.2 stock. I installed the above app 24 hours ago and not one disconnect yet. Hopefully this recommendation is not premature.

Well, I spoke too soon. My GNex just suffered a disconnect from both Wifi and AT&T and would not reconnect unless I toggled in and out of airplane mode.

I hope that an update comes though that will fix this. Otherwise, I'll be shopping for a new phone and selling the Nexus 7.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
I don't think any of those wifi apps do anything to "repair" a connection, all they do is try to reconnect when a wifi connection is available. If you read the tin on them, they all say pretty much the same thing. Useless IMO, my phone tries to reconnect without any app.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
said by La Luna:

I don't think any of those wifi apps do anything to "repair" a connection, all they do is try to reconnect when a wifi connection is available. If you read the tin on them, they all say pretty much the same thing. Useless IMO, my phone tries to reconnect without any app.

Thanks. That seems to be what the problem is. When there is a Wifi disconnect on either device, it does not try to reconnect. And the GNex also loses AT&T connectivity with no reconnect attempt.

I read about the app while Googling for a fix, but it did not try to reconnect the signal, at least not on my GNex.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to La Luna
That's correct. And OS decides when connection is available, not an app. Thus, apps are useless if you need to get new / restore closed connections ASAP.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...