spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

highfigh

@rr.com

No m-card in columbus ohio

I just had an tech come out to my house for an install of a cablecard and internet. Well, they just left without doing anything because they said they don't carry m-cards in this market area. What? I'm in 43147, pickerington, and I was reassured on the phone when I placed my order that they indeed DID have m-cards. I've been down this road before, so I was sure to tell them I had a ceton infiniTV4, and could only use an M card. Anyone in this area using one?

Dan, if you are there, could you look into this? I've seen a couple guys in these forums in the columbus area talk about their mcard install, so this really annoys me.

Thanks.

highfigh

@rr.com

I've rescheduled an appointment for tomorrow. Bleh. Called in and talked with a rep. He informed me that they do indeed have m cards. They carry the scientific atlanta cards, and have both the s and m cards. However (and here's another confusing twist) he said that their m-cards are only capable of carrying 2 streams. Huh? I had the sci.atl. card when I was with time warner and had no problems getting 4 streams. AFAIK there is only the 600(single) and 800(multiple). And they assured me they do offer m-cards.

I think the reason the installer freaked when he seen my setup, and didn't even try to do the install, was because i currently have the Motorola m-card installed with Insight. When he seen the card, he thought he needed the same card. But he called his supervisor and they said that the card they use would only support 2 streams. blah blah, it's not available in our area yet, blah blah blah.

Do they only say this because they are only familiar with tivo's? It really gets frustrating when everytime I switch providers I have to hold the techs hand and walk them through the install and teach them things that they would easily know if their supervisor would do his job and keep them up to date on the current technology.

garnuts

join:2012-02-03
Columbus, OH

I have WOW in Columbus. I picked up an Mcard at WOW's office off of Westerville Rd a few months ago. My self-install was fairly painless!

They did not mention anything about the card being capable of only 2 streams. I have the Ceton USB tuner, and I can use all 4 tuners at the same time.

The installer/supervisor just does not have experience/training on cable card tuners yet.

Gary

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:29
reply to highfigh

We carry M-cards in all markets, and they can do at least 4 streams, as I have one at home and I've got it in a Ceton InfiniTV 4, and it works great on all tuners. I haven't ever tested anything above 4 tuners, but I know the M-cards can do that. We do offer self installs on cable cards, but they can sometimes be a little tricky to get them going. If you prefer to do it that way, I can assist if there's a problem, and you can just go pick one up and install it yourself, then call customer service to get it activated. If you prefer to have the tech install it, regardless of what they might think of the card, it can do 4 tuners, just have them install one and you'll be fine.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

highfigh

@rr.com

Ok, thanks for the support guys! I'll let you know how the visit goes tomorrow. I can't do a self install, unfortunately, because wow just put new lines in my neighborhood so i guess they have to hook me up first. Otherwise i would not have bothered setting it up over the phone, but would have went straight to the office and got the card. I have my own cable modem so, and i've done the install a couple times on different moves.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com

Yeah, they fed you a line. Any M-card will deliver up to six streams at once, so him saying it was only good for two is probably because he doesn't know any better, or that's what the Tivos do. The tech that installed mine (before the days of self-install, unfortunately) mentioned that my area doesn't even stock S-cards (single stream), since most devices have more than one stream.

With the Ceton, if stuff gets weird just de-authorize the card and start over. It will actually work with an S card, but naturally you'll only get one station at a time. Generally they tend to get a little spooked by anything besides a TIVO because it's not a particularly common device. When switching to another package I mentioned the cablecard tuner to a WOW sales rep (the ones that actually come to your house to write it) didn't think they allowed that sort of use. Been on a Ceton for about a year though, and it's been smoooooth sailing!

highfigh0

join:2007-01-15
Pickerington, OH

1 edit
reply to highfigh

Ok, (insert long sad story).... yea, not going well.

Tech was here for 3 hrs yesterday, and could not get anything working. Cable modem would not even sync. Turned out they were doing some work in the neighborhood last night and other folks were without service. He left a cablecard for me. And also left me with no tv service at all, as now I can't get my cablecard working with insight anymore.

So this morning I hooked back up to the WOW drop. Cable modem synced fast, so i called in. They were able to activate my modem,however this was after I had to convince the tech that my sb6120 was capable of 50/5. He insisted that it wouldn't work with those speeds . Anyways, i'm online now through wow, but not exactly getting 50/5. Don't see more than 3/1.5.

So on to the cablecard. I got disconnected on the phone again and had to talk to the third tech this morning, and she seemed more interested in getting me scheduled for a truck roll instead of doing any troubleshooting. She said she sent the hit a few times but I still have see

said by ceton :
Not Validated, Binding Authentication Complete, Validation Message not received yet
and can't tune anything. I'm going to try to talk to tier 3 later, she said they were all in a meeting or getting coffee or something... so hopefully I will get someone familiar with the ceton. I literally talked to 7 different WOW! reps this weekend and not one had heard of the ceton. Very odd.

Dan, i sent you an email. If you could look into this, I would be greatly appreciative! You may be the only one in the WOW network who knows what they are doing with this card?

And i'm not wanting to bash WOW in any way. I know my setup is not exactly mainstream yet, and to be fair I've had my share of headaches with every cable co. i've been hooked to. I haven't disconnected from Insight yet, so If I can't get this sorted out in the next couple days I'll just hook back up to them and forget my pipedream of wonderful 50/5 glory, and copy-freely cable heaven

edit:

Talked to a Josie on tier 3. She was not able to get my internet going at 50/5. Says something about the .bin file not making it all the way to my modem? She lost me in her explanation. I understand the bin file is what they send to my modem, different for what speed tier you are on, but it isn't making it through. My modem now shows up on her end as a docsis 3, but I am still only bonding on one down stream channel.

However she did get my tv working. It is now paired and am able to tune channels, but the hit isn't taking as it still has an error "cablecard hs not received CP Auth. Can't tune channels on one computer with a shared tuner."no signal detected".

I think my signal levels are still wonky. My modem shows -4 downstream. But my tuner shows -14. And this is running straight in from tap, only one splitter inside.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to highfigh

I will be in the office tomorrow morning. I will take a look at it when I get your email. I'm very familiar with all of these devices, so I should be able to get everything going for you.

highfigh0

Pickerington, OH

Thanks, Dan. Like I said, tv is working now, so wife is happy. I'm pretty sure that my signal levels will have to be corrected by a truck roll. They will be here after 2 tomorrow. If there is nothing you can do about this because of levels on my end, i understand. But feel free to take a stab at it.

I know when I was on Time Warner, the hit would not go through until the we improved the signal. After reconfiguring some splitters the hit came right through. Probably same thing that is keeping the .bin file from reaching me.

highfigh0

Pickerington, OH

Just a question/observation. Is it possible that I can't get the bin file from WOW for my 50/5 speeds because they have routed traffic in this area somewhere else? The tier3 tech that I talked to mentioned something about the bin file getting lost along the way to my modem, or something to that effect. When I do any speed tests or ping tests, it determines my closest location to be somewhere up in chicago area. And my pings are always better testing on Chicago servers than those right here in columbus.

Example:

This is Chicago.

And this is Columbus.

It's always the same. Pings are better to chicago servers than any local ones. Internet has been pretty solid, obviously with the decent pings and low jitter. Just trying to figure this out. My networking skillz end at my modem.

Feel the powah of my 50/5 intrawebz!

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com

That's because WOW's home-base is out of Chicago, so if you hit something there you're probably on the same network.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to highfigh

I'm not sure what they meant by the bin file getting lost, that doesn't make any sense. We just turned up service in Pickerington a week or two ago, so there might still be a couple kinks to work out. If there's something wrong, I will figure it out.

highfigh0

Pickerington, OH

I'm not sure either. She said she sent the bin, but it wasn't making it to my modem. Thanks for your help Dan! If it wasn't for knowing you were on these forums helping out I would be way more frustrated with WOW. But you give me hope

LordKronos

join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI
reply to highfigh

said by highfigh :

I just had an tech come out to my house for an install of a cablecard and internet. Well, they just left without doing anything because they said they don't carry m-cards in this market area. What?

Last summer when I got my cablecard, the tech also told me that WOW doesn't carry M-cards, only S-cards. This was at the same time he was installing an M-card in my computer. After being puzzled for a few moments, I realized what he was talking about. Cablecards are made by either Motorola or Scientific-Atlanta. He must have tried to reverse engineer what the terms M-card and S-card meant and decided it was an abbreviation for the manufacturer.

I bet your tech made the same assumption.

highfigh0

Pickerington, OH
reply to highfigh

Another tech visit later, and here's the update... for those who care :P

Tech could not totally isolate the issue with why I am not getting the speeds I should. He was able to get better speeds using the Arris modem. Now:

Which is basically maxing out the one channel. Not able to get channel bonding working, so he figures there are issues with the tap outside, or the NOC. His supervisor is supposed to come look at it tomorrow, outside, so thankfully I won't have to reschedule any work to be here again.

On another note, Dan was able to get the ceton fully synced and activated and so tv is working like a champ! He did this in no time whatsoever this morning. Dan is the master with these ceton tuners. Dan, they should just pass all ceton cc installs off to you. Cause once again, the tech that was here today had not heard of one, and said he's only installed one cablecard before some years ago.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to highfigh

I may have something on the modem issue. I will report back if/when I'm able to confirm it.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to highfigh

Check the modem again, you should be bonding 5x2.

highfigh0

Pickerington, OH

Dan..... i don't even know what to say. You are the man! Green lights all across and up/down bonded. WOW speedtest gives me 50/5. I am honored, sir, to have one of your caliber working with me on this. I already spoke to the supervisor (he actually called because the tech can't find one of the routers he brought here.) anyways I gave you mad props, brother. Anytime I talk to a wow rep in the future I will always reminisce on our moments together Thank you so much!

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to highfigh

Glad we got that all sorted out. If you need anything else, you know where to find me!

highfigh0

Pickerington, OH
reply to highfigh

Just a question to those who are on the 50/5 plan. Do you see the advertised speeds most of the time? So far, the only place I have seen the speed is in wow's speedtest. Any other website I am only seeing

I've tried a lot of different speedtest sites, and this is about max. There is one server on speedtest that I see

But this is not typical.
Doing any large file transfers, such as from microsoft or steam games, i don't see much over 2.5MB/s down. Just wondering if this is typical. If so I may as well downgrade to the 30 down package.

wowcoder

join:2010-03-04

said by highfigh0:

Just a question to those who are on the 50/5 plan. Do you see the advertised speeds most of the time? So far, the only place I have seen the speed is in wow's speedtest.

All wow can really control is their network. So if you're seeing 50/5 on their speed test site then you are indeed getting it. There are a lot of variables that are out of WOW's control when you start using other speed test sites. Similarly with regards to downloads, it will really depend on what the server on the other end can support, though I doubt there are a lot that will let you download at 50 Mbps (about 6.25 MB/s). I think going with a 50 Mbps plan is better when you have multiple users trying to do stuff at the same time - then all together you all would get close to 50 Mbps. Not so much if you are generally the only user.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to highfigh0

Try a couple of these servers, as they regularly give me pretty close to on network performance results:

»www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

scott314

join:2012-02-12
reply to WOW_Dan

Dan,

I believe I am having the same modem problem as highfigh0. I am on the 30/3 plan. My downstream is consistently around 30Mb/s, but my upstream never seems to test above 1.8Mb/s. Is there any way you could work your magic on my modem as well?

The tech that came out to do my DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade was aware there was an issue, but he was not able to solve my problem. I was told his supervisor would follow-up with me, but I never heard from anyone. This was around Christmas time though, so I assume I got lost in the shuffle.

The US and DS lights on my new Arris modem are amber, which the tech thought might indicate a problem with the channel bonding.

Thanks!

Scott

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

said by scott314:

Dan,

I believe I am having the same modem problem as highfigh0. I am on the 30/3 plan. My downstream is consistently around 30Mb/s, but my upstream never seems to test above 1.8Mb/s. Is there any way you could work your magic on my modem as well?

The tech that came out to do my DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade was aware there was an issue, but he was not able to solve my problem. I was told his supervisor would follow-up with me, but I never heard from anyone. This was around Christmas time though, so I assume I got lost in the shuffle.

The US and DS lights on my new Arris modem are amber, which the tech thought might indicate a problem with the channel bonding.

Thanks!

Scott

Shoot me your account number or phone number on your account in a message or email, and I can take a look at it tomorrow.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

TelecomJunky

join:2010-02-22
Columbus, OH
reply to highfigh0

Keep in mind most sites won't upload faster than 1.8-2.5Mbps. If all you're looking for is download than 30 would fit you fine. Heck, 15 might. The biggest benefit to the 30 and 50 is the upload speeds...

scott314

reply to WOW_Dan

I PM'd you that information. Thanks for looking into it for me!

Scott

scott314

And 30 minutes later it is fixed! Simply outstanding customer service. Thanks Dan!

troubleagain

@wideopenwest.com

said by scott314:

And 30 minutes later it is fixed! Simply outstanding customer service. Thanks Dan!

I love that Dan is able to solve problems for people who know enough to come here.

But why don't WOW techs and/or customer service know how to handle issues like this? Almost two months ago a tech told you he couldn't solve it.

Until I found this site I would have followed normal channels when I had a problem. And most likely they would not have been resolved.

scott314

To be fair, I think the technicians that come out to the house are limited in what they are able to do. He was very helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable, but he wasn't able to get anyone on the phone who could help him troubleshoot my issue. He was going to get someone out to measure the signal levels at the tap, but I think that request got lost in the Christmas shuffle.

If this had been a more pressing issue, I would have followed up sooner.

I am glad I was able to get Dan's attention since he was able to ultimately solve my issue, but everyone I have dealt with at WoW has been top notch in my opinion.

highfigh0

Pickerington, OH
reply to highfigh

Just wanted to follow up with my initial speed tests. I purchased a new router, e3000, and am now getting consistent 50/5 speeds from all my local test sites on speedtest.net . I know there are a lot of variables, but I know speedtest.net is usually fairly accurate, so I suspected my old wrt54g was getting a little long in the tooth. So now I always see:

Chicago:

Indianapolis:

Columbus:

Don't know what would cause my wrt54g to choke on my internet, but it's been a solid companion for 5 years so I guess it was just time to let it rest

I'm feeling brave today so I'm going to try again to have wow activate my 6120. Feel wrong not trying it since it's just sitting here collecting dust, and costing me 5 bucks a month not using it. May be sending another prayer your way for help, Dan