Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« speedWhy not here? »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Review and vary of 2011-703

The CRTC file/web site for the Shaw R&V of 2011-703 is at:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/part1/eng ··· 1342.htm

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Click for full size
downloadAppendix 2 -···-703.pdf 1,048,500 bytes
Click for full size
downloadRogers ABRID···2012.pdf 142,768 bytes
Lemay Yates report on how Great Rogers is.
Things are unraveling...

Today, Rogers submitted a Review and Vary of 2011-703

(to the moderators, if you could update the thread title to replace "Shaw" with "Cable companies", it would be appreciated)

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
note to moderators: I would appreciate if you could update the threat title from "Shaw's Review and vary of 2011-703" to

"Cable companies' Review and Vary of 2011-703"

(since there are now multiple R&V from different cable companies)

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
I was just going to post the rogers shit.Thought I had a post going for it alrady but I couldnt find it.

Anyway these tariffs bring a whole new aspect to the ballgame.Rogers wants service charges for each 100mb for upload and download so say double the fee.How low are these companies going to go?Every day its another tariff to try and gran more money from some obscure point in the rulling.It's down right degrading to me to be a Canadian and have companies stoop to this level.I cannot wait to win a lottery and get the hell out of this country that seems to be coming more and more communist by the day between the government and stupid decisions

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario
Well seems I was reading the other rogers papers filed today.The R&V just showed up in my mail box.

Clusterfuck is to mellow a word for this.I see more hearings coming and a possible intervention from the government soon

Rogers VP

@videotron.ca
so basically what they are saying here is:

Hey CRTC; The money we charge 3rd party internet providers is less than what Bell and Videotron charges. We want our costs to be higher so we can make more money as well and equaly over-charge as all the others. Otherwise it isn't fair.

Best regards,

Rogers VP of Regulatory

Sync

join:2012-01-19
Terrebonne, QC
reply to jfmezei

Re: Cable companies' Review and Vary of 2011-703

It's not a "clusterfuck" it's a "perpetual clusterfuck"

the clusterfuck that never ends

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to andyb

Re: Review and vary of 2011-703

said by andyb:

Well seems I was reading the other rogers papers filed today.The R&V just showed up in my mail box.

Clusterfuck is to mellow a word for this.I see more hearings coming and a possible intervention from the government soon

At some point the CRTC has to say F off, they can't keep changing tariffs and taking all of their time and resources to review them.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
This is just such good submission...

Imagine this, Rogers proactively making upgrades to its network so that end users do not feel any congestion and to remove the need for downstream throttling !

Imagine this, Rogers claiming it replaces its CMTS every 4 years. Yeah. sure. probably the result of a one time upgrade to support DOCSIS3.

Oh, and I like the one about Rogers *often* having to deal with a shortage of IPs funished by TPIA ISPs.

Imagine this, at the hearings last summer, the incumbers all said they don't do 95th percentile, but when it comes to spilling the beans on network management here, they admit to using it extensively.

Oh, and an interesting one at the very end: Rogers wants to maintain interim aggregated POI rates (the ones in effect last summer when Rogers refused new ISPs) until its R&V is done.

So, will Videotron now file one too ?

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario
Start your filing against it JF.Dont forget to mention the 5,000 or so ip's rogers requires for each connection point that only holds 2,000.Or the fact brantford as far as I know has never replaced any CMTS's.And for sure mention the we dont do 95th but..

andyb
Premium
SW Ontario
I'd so love to see Katz come out and just say fuk ya all.We got new rates.

$1,000 per gigE
$5,000 per 10 gig
All ISP's must supply 10gig minimum
$250 "per order" service charge
Monthly charges are 5 cents based on 95th

Applies to all ISP's

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
As an aside: CRTC is to issue decision on Fixed IP addresses for Cable between the 13th and 17th of february.

CISC Network Working Group – Provision of static Internet protocol for
third-party Internet access services
File number: 8638-C12-201015207
»www.crtc.gc.ca/partvii/e ··· 5207.htm

xcimo
Ebox 60Mbps

join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC
said by jfmezei:

As an aside: CRTC is to issue decision on Fixed IP addresses for Cable between the 13th and 17th of february.

CISC Network Working Group – Provision of static Internet protocol for
third-party Internet access services
File number: 8638-C12-201015207
»www.crtc.gc.ca/partvii/e ··· 5207.htm

Ohhh sweet! (The IP stuff), for the money grabbing, that sux.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to jfmezei
Figures. I get the weekly CRTC release email and I missed the part about static IPs.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to jfmezei

Rogers does not wait for the network to become congested before augmenting its network – it acts in advance of congestion to ensure service quality

Man do they lie through their teeth.

There are also other affects that flow from use of a 60% trigger. First, by having a faster network, customers use it more which gives Rogers higher volumes per user than other ISPs.

But you impose low low caps, which defeats the purpose of higher speeds.

This can be seen by looking at the rates for Cogeco and Videotron. In most instances, they have reasonably similar access rates to Rogers but Cogeco’s usage rate is 115% higher and Videotron’s is 51% higher. The only reason for this is that they have a lower peak conversion factor

In other words, we put our rates too low, we want them higher now.

Like I said, this will not end till the effectively put the independent out of business, then they'll have competitive symmetry to rape everyone.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Imagine this, at the hearings last summer, the incumbers all said they don't do 95th percentile, but when it comes to spilling the beans on network management here, they admit to using it extensively.

Billing 95th on the retail/wholesale side is one thing, using it internally for capacity planning is another.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Not a big surprise...

Videotron has just filed a review and vary of 2011-703. I guess Cogeco is next.

Hopefully the CRTC will combine all of them into a single file.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
The videotron one (I just quickly skimmed over it) makes sense:

CRTC saw higher costs now and lower costs 10 years from now and averaged them to a single stable price for a period of 10 years.

Videotron argues that for the first half of the period, it will be subsidizing ISPs because they won't be paying the full amount of the current costs and make a profit on the last period where its costs will have gone below the CRTC's rates.

xcimo
Ebox 60Mbps

join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC
reply to jfmezei

Re: Cable companies' Review and Vary of 2011-703

I am no expert, put I though that at 2000$ per 100mbps thoses prices where already high, where Videotron argue that it should be 4000$ per 100Mbps.

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
reply to jfmezei
Sigh.

Videoturd wants $4480/Mbps. Wow. Way to pull numbers out of their ass.

Failing to understand what an opportunity they have right here right now to crush bell and earn 10x the return on the true value. Holy crap this is a sick market.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
said by alienzzz:

Sigh.

Failing to understand what an opportunity they have right here right now to crush bell and earn 10x the return on the true value. Holy crap this is a sick market.

Wow, Videotron's request for $4480/100Mbps ($44800/Gbps) makes Cogeco's $2695/100Mbps ($26950/Gbps) seem amazing in comparison. Although honestly, I'm not surprised.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

3 edits
said by grunze510:

Wow, Videotron's request for $4480/100Mbps ($44800/Gbps) makes Cogeco's $2695/100Mbps ($26950/Gbps) seem....

Geez, they all must think the're attending an AUCTION !

So who will bid a higher price next ?!

Also, this stands to make some IISPs nervous - again.

One particular IISP (who is not usually named by certain folks around here - who themselves shall ALSO remain nameless by me this morning) may now comment that THIS was their reason for holding back on setting new lower rates for QC Cable so far, yes ?

Like une oiseau petite told them....

WildChild

join:2006-09-08
Quebec, QC
said by Davesnothere:

said by grunze510:

Wow, Videotron's request for $4480/100Mbps ($44800/Gbps) makes Cogeco's $2695/100Mbps ($26950/Gbps) seem....

Geez, they all must think the're attending an AUCTION !

So who will bid a higher price next ?!

Also, this stands to make some IISPs nervous - again.

One particular IISP (who is not usually named by certain folks around here - who themselves shall ALSO remain nameless by me this morning) may now comment that THIS was their reason for holding back on setting new lower rates for QC Cable so far, yes ?

Like une oiseau petite told them....

It should read "un petit oiseau"!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by WildChild:

It should read "un petit oiseau"!

I had it that way at first, but changed it - the gender too.

But I thought that in French, the adjectives FOLLOW the nouns which they describe.

An exception ? - Well I know we seem to have more exceptions than rules in English.

Anyway, the intended readers know the figure of speech which I was trying to say....

JohnInMTL

join:2010-07-14
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to jfmezei
Just what I needed, more uncertainty in the market making it hard to justify making any changes to my current setup. We waited for the faster dsl speeds, we watched for cable became a viable alternative, and now were back waiting while the CRTC and the incumbents chase their tails.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
said by JohnInMTL:

we watched for cable became a viable alternative, and now were back waiting while the CRTC and the incumbents chase their tails.

Incumbents aren't used to having to fight for and justify what they want, and aren't used to being told wht to do by the CRTC, it used to be the other way around.

Ahh, the good old days where a simple game of golf fixed every telecom problem in Canada

JohnInMTL

join:2010-07-14
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
I knew there must be some point to that game.

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

2 edits
reply to grunze510
said by grunze510:

said by alienzzz:

Sigh.

Wow, Videotron's request for $4480/100Mbps ($44800/Gbps) makes Cogeco's $2695/100Mbps ($26950/Gbps) seem amazing in comparison. Although honestly, I'm not surprised.

I don't understand this enough...
Does that mean if someone pays $44.80/month they can max a 1Mbps connection 24/7/365 and Videotron won't complain about heavy use?
(Or will it not matter since this cost will be equivalent to playing 100% overage charge? Equivalent to at least 300GB/month on 1Mbps... $224 for 1.5TB suddenly seems not so bad... still dang expensive but better than the propose $700 in overages from Bell?[Lesser evil, but still evil!])

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
said by Dcite:

said by grunze510:

said by alienzzz:

Sigh.

I don't understand this enough...
Does that mean if someone pays $44.80/month they can max a 1Mbps connection 24/7/365 and Videotron won't complain about heavy use?

$44.80 for usage alone, to run a steady 1Mbps for the month. Plus the flat connection fee, and any overhead the IISP adds on.

Oh, and the fact that Videotron's lowest tier is 3/0.8 To run that at full speed would be $170.24, plus the $12.79 access rate (and overhead). Before tax.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Right now, I bet Bell Canada is feeling left out. with all its cable buddies having done an R&V and Bell has done squat.

I feel a Bell Canada R&V coming on. (it would make sense since it would pre-empt the one CNOC is rumoured to be preparing.)
« speedWhy not here? »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next