uniqs
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to viperlmw

to viperlmw

Re: Fire Them

said by viperlmw:

Not techs with any experience, or who aren't drunks, or who actually care about quality or the customer.

I have just recently been forced to deal with contractor installations in my area, installations that used to be done by company employees. They had no experience, did bad work, much of which had to be completely re-done, ended up costing the company much more, yet that anti-employee agenda just won't let the powers that be realize this. Contractors only care about getting paid for the piece they are doing. Employees tend to care much more about the company they work for and the customers they serve. But there is an agenda out there, 'Get rid of employees, contract it all out'! Then a company with 50,000 employees can pretend they are a small business.

And I had the same experience with company techs who didn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground.

Face facts, the wildcat strike was a form of union intimidation against the company and meant to send a message. All that was sent was a big "screw you" to Cablevision and the message back should be "since you care so much, you can find jobs elsewhere."

Unions are going to have to realize their old tactics don't work anymore. Keep doing them and no one will be on their sides.

jackoffjill
@windstream.net

jackoffjill

Anon

You can all thank me and all my union brother's for the wages you are making as nonunion employee.Without us you would not be making the wage's you are.Once the union's are gone do you think you will have good wage's!!!! Don't get me wrong there is good and bad in the union and the company,I have seen it all in my 20 plus years as a union employee. I just hope they can make it work for the company and the employee. I don't like seeing any form of strike, It sux been there done that .It's a no win for both side's.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

Can we also thank you and your union brothers for the "job banks" that nearly killed the auto companies? How about how the UAW wanted to keep workers on the payroll after they were caught drinking and smoking pot during their lunch breaks?

If the unions didn't protest the idiots that would be fired from any other job, then I would have less of a problem with them. But their insistence that they keep those that pose a danger to others is one of the issues that people hate with unions.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

one of the issues that people hate with unions.

We all have to get by that word "HATE" before we can accomplish anything significant.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by miataman:

We all have to get by that word "HATE" before we can accomplish anything significant.

Really? I can say I "hate" the public sector unions of Baltimore City when they "demanded" a tax hike so they could get a pay raise.

The unions are killing the goose that laid the golden egg and blaming everyone around them for their actions.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

Really? I can say I "hate" the public sector unions of Baltimore City when they "demanded" a tax hike so they could get a pay raise.

The unions are killing the goose that laid the golden egg and blaming everyone around them for their actions.

Actually, the facts seem to indicate the opposite of what you claim. Union membership in the US is at an all time low (and still going down) but the goose is sicker now than ever. There is a direct relationship between the decline of unions and the decline of the economy. There is an inverse relationship between corporate profits and the economy.

The reason for the public sector cut backs is simple... lack of tax revenue. So the question is: Why are tax revenues going down? I will let you answer that one.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

Actually, the facts seem to indicate the opposite of what you claim. Union membership in the US is at an all time low (and still going down) but the goose is sicker now than ever. There is a direct relationship between the decline of unions and the decline of the economy. There is an inverse relationship between corporate profits and the economy.

The reason for the public sector cut backs is simple... lack of tax revenue. So the question is: Why are tax revenues going down? I will let you answer that one.

Union membership is down because unions are killing the companies. They kept demanding more and more and not caring about the health of the company. Striking to make a point only to find the unions got even less. Remember the UPS strike? Customer got so fed up, they left UPS and went to the alternatives.

Unions have tried to get into the Honda, Nissan and Volkswagen plants the workers kept saying no. Why? Because, while they maybe make $0.50 less than union workers, they don't have to pay union dues and they saw how the UAW destroyed Detroit.

And let's not forget the air traffic controllers who decided to go against the law and strike. Reagan was right to fire every single one that refused to come back to work.

Unions are longer thought of helping the common man but helping themselves and rewarding mediocrity instead of hard work.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

Union membership is down because unions are killing the companies. They kept demanding more and more and not caring about the health of the company. Striking to make a point only to find the unions got even less. Remember the UPS strike? Customer got so fed up, they left UPS and went to the alternatives.

Unions have tried to get into the Honda, Nissan and Volkswagen plants the workers kept saying no. Why? Because, while they maybe make $0.50 less than union workers, they don't have to pay union dues and they saw how the UAW destroyed Detroit.

And let's not forget the air traffic controllers who decided to go against the law and strike. Reagan was right to fire every single one that refused to come back to work.

Unions are longer thought of helping the common man but helping themselves and rewarding mediocrity instead of hard work.

Killing the companies? What are you talking about?!? Most companies are making higher profits now than ever. Again, your opinion is not substantiated by facts. The only ones demanding more and more without caring about the health of the company are the shareholders a/k/a leeches.

The thing that killed Detroit was a combination of planned obsolescence and skimping on quality... a/k/a corporate greed. People wanted nothing to do with poorly designed cars and went to the competition... pure and simple. The companies you mention are not US companies, their policies and ethics are set by the executives overseas. You neglected to mention that both Japan and Germany are heavily unionized countries and both of their economies are doing better than ours.

You also forgot to explain why the tax revenue is disappearing. Are you paying less taxes now than 20 years ago?? Because I know I'm not. So WHO STOPPED PAYING TAXES?
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

Killing the companies? What are you talking about?!? Most companies are making higher profits now than ever. Again, your opinion is not substantiated by facts. The only ones demanding more and more without caring about the health of the company are the shareholders a/k/a leeches.

Care to explain the jobs bank that the UAW made the Big 3 automakers maintain?

»www.thetruthaboutcars.co ··· ob-bank/
said by CXM_Splicer:

The thing that killed Detroit was a combination of planned obsolescence and skimping on quality... a/k/a corporate greed. People wanted nothing to do with poorly designed cars and went to the competition... pure and simple. The companies you mention are not US companies, their policies and ethics are set by the executives overseas. You neglected to mention that both Japan and Germany are heavily unionized countries and both of their economies are doing better than ours.

And where were the unions? Why didn't they complain? They were as complicit as the corporate heads.

And those companies may be foreign but the plants are here. And the UAW has stated they cannot survive without unionizing these plants. They even went so far as to try and get German union workers to strike in Germany so they American plants can get unionized.

»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· 972.html
said by CXM_Splicer:

You also forgot to explain why the tax revenue is disappearing. Are you paying less taxes now than 20 years ago?? Because I know I'm not. So WHO STOPPED PAYING TAXES?

Everyone stopped paying. Companies and individuals alike. Jobs are disappearing and states that raise taxes are losing businesses. Illinois raised taxes and the businesses that could, left the state.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

quote:
Care to explain the jobs bank that the UAW made the Big 3 automakers maintain?

»www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/1···ob-bank/

Strange... at the end of that article it states: "Back in 1985 General Motors had 464,000 union members, at that time they were as big as the U.S. Army. At the end 2004 General Motors UAW members were down to 111,000 members; a 77 percent decrease in membership." Please tell me when the auto-industry bailouts occurred... So your argument is The auto industry needed a bailout because the unions which were killing the industry decreased by 77%? You might want to rethink that.
quote:
And where were the unions? Why didn't they complain? They were as complicit as the corporate heads.

You are joking with this... right? Do you think for ONE SECOND that the corporate executives listen to the peon workers? Who exactly were they suppose to complain to? It wasn't some secret... EVERYONE KNEW IT ALREADY! The corporate heads made the decisions and you hold the workers responsible... unbelievable.
quote:
Everyone stopped paying. Companies and individuals alike. Jobs are disappearing and states that raise taxes are losing businesses. Illinois raised taxes and the businesses that could, left the state.

Everyone?? I haven't stopped paying... have you? Does anyone reading this care to volunteer that they are paying substantially less now? Certain individuals have substantially reduced what they have been paying... who specifically? Yes, jobs are disappearing; they are being sent overseas for increased corporate profits. The very same corporations that pay little or no taxes now. Are you beginning to see the trend? Please stop listening to Hannity and look at what's really going on around you!
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

Strange... at the end of that article it states: "Back in 1985 General Motors had 464,000 union members, at that time they were as big as the U.S. Army. At the end 2004 General Motors UAW members were down to 111,000 members; a 77 percent decrease in membership." Please tell me when the auto-industry bailouts occurred... So your argument is The auto industry needed a bailout because the unions which were killing the industry decreased by 77%? You might want to rethink that.

And who caused the jobs to go away? Competition. Toyota, Nissan and Honda kicked the Detroit in quality and people were sick of paying high prices for crap.
said by CXM_Splicer:

You are joking with this... right? Do you think for ONE SECOND that the corporate executives listen to the peon workers? Who exactly were they suppose to complain to? It wasn't some secret... EVERYONE KNEW IT ALREADY! The corporate heads made the decisions and you hold the workers responsible... unbelievable.

They seemed to listen everytime they threatened a strike.
said by CXM_Splicer:

Everyone?? I haven't stopped paying... have you? Does anyone reading this care to volunteer that they are paying substantially less now? Certain individuals have substantially reduced what they have been paying... who specifically? Yes, jobs are disappearing; they are being sent overseas for increased corporate profits. The very same corporations that pay little or no taxes now. Are you beginning to see the trend? Please stop listening to Hannity and look at what's really going on around you!

Why not take a look at property tax revenues. Values are dropping and revenues are falling because of foreclosures. I know my property taxes are going down because my house lost a of its inflated value when the state came by and raised everyone's value in order to tax them more.

People are buying less, people are making less (if they are working) and companies are cutting back.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Moonpuppy, do u have any clue how property taxes work?, the value of your home has NOTHING to do with what you pay in taxes. One way or another the town will get their money. Your value goes down, MIL rates go up. Nice try though.

People who are so illogically anti-union, are the most ignorant people in the world.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by ITALIAN926:

Moonpuppy, do u have any clue how property taxes work?, the value of your home has NOTHING to do with what you pay in taxes. One way or another the town will get their money. Your value goes down, MIL rates go up. Nice try though.

People who are so illogically anti-union, are the most ignorant people in the world.

Maybe not where you are from but in my state, property taxes are based on the value of your home.

»www.dat.state.md.us/sdat ··· ate.html

And in the state of Maryland, assements are going down because many of the houses are worth less than they were assesed at in the first place. So as the assements are going down, so is the property tax amount being paid.

And rates have not gone up here but Maryland has a saying, "If you can dream it, we can tax it."

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

What do you think those RATES are !!!!?? Its a combination of the value taxes at a MIL rate ! Just because your homes has lost value, doesnt mean your taxes are going down !

If your house lost 50% of its value because of the housing crisis, you think youre paying 50% less taxes !? Its not how it works . The city/town WILL get the money they need to operate.
quote:
Below is a list of counties in Maryland, and their property tax rates in effect on July 1, 2011. All rates are shown per $100 of assessment.

You post a link that proves you wrong, I love it.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

How does it prove me wrong?

Assements of the housing values are going down. Less revenue is coming in because of this.

»www.hometownannapolis.co ··· -up.html
quote:
As real estate agents, we have often seen the sales price of homes, which is the true fair market value, vary substantially from assessed values. In the recently assessed parts of southern Anne Arundel county and Annapolis, the average assessed value declined by 15 percent. But the numbers can be all over the map. Our own home went down by 7.8 percent; whereas the assessed value of another Annapolis property we have listed for sale declined by almost 25 percent.
Now, the article goes on about how some people are going up is assessments and taxes because of the lag in the assessments catching up to what the home sold for. However, only certain places (like Annapolis which was mentioned in the article) are making adjustments to charge more. I do not live in Annapolis and the vast majority of people of my county do not live there either so rates in my area are the same BUT the values and assessments are going down and the county is collecting less from the other areas. Some of this has to to also deal with the Homestead Tax Credit which is over and the every 3 year assessments are coming due and the values are dropping like rocks.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Youre still not getting it.

When assessments go down, the tax rates GO UP. EVERYWHERE. Find the tax rates for Maryland for the previous year, and you will find an entire table of different numbers.

Conversely, when overall assessments go UP, MIL rates go DOWN. The town/cities will collect their monies regardless as to what your houses are worth in your area.
moonpuppy (banned)
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

said by ITALIAN926:

Youre still not getting it.

When assessments go down, the tax rates GO UP. EVERYWHERE. Find the tax rates for Maryland for the previous year, and you will find an entire table of different numbers.

Conversely, when overall assessments go UP, MIL rates go DOWN. The town/cities will collect their monies regardless as to what your houses are worth in your area.

Funny, I have my tax forms right here with me and the property tax rate did not change one bit. Again, I am not in a specific town or locality that raises rates on a whim like Annapolis.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Find the MD chart for 2010-2011, then we'll know whos right. I guarantee it will be filled with a whole bunch of different numbers.