andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

Rogers to end throttling

Yes you read that right

»docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=e···US&pli=1

"Nonetheless, out of an abundance of caution and to allay any concerns which the
Commission’s investigation may have created, we have reconfigured the Cisco equipment so
that the unclassified traffic on peer-to-peer ports is no longer traffic managed.

In addition, we have been reviewing our traffic shaping policy for several months. New
technologies and ongoing investments in network capacity will allow Rogers to begin phasing
out that policy starting in March 2012. These changes will be introduced to half of Rogers
existing Internet customers by June 2012 and to its remaining customers by December 2012.
It will be rolled out in stages to make sure that customers continue to receive a reliable,
consistent and fast high speed internet experience.

downloadRogers Respo···2012.pdf 80480 bytes
Rogers

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

OK, that's them AND B$ELL getting OFF the congestion/throttling bandwagon now.

Any OTHER takers ?

My Cogeco seems unthrottled so far.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to andyb

OMG, you read the information from the CISCO website.

Gheez that's a heavy dig.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Must have heap big SHOVEL !

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to andyb

Yes we've phasing out throttling in conjunction with our annual "because we can" rate increase, and we'll be lowering caps and eliminating the cap on the overage charges.

We want to continue to provide out customers with the worse Internet experience possible, that's why were the highest priced provider in Ontario and offer the least amount of bandwidth allowance a month.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

You made that UP !

(sounds spot-on, though )

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

I've already been in contact with a bunch of people over this, and as one of them stated:
They've
"done an extremely clever job of
a) trivializing the Commission's testing
and
b) making this whole exercise sound like it was a problem for a mere handful of, ahem, gamers."

Personally, I'm still in shock...

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

1 edit
reply to Davesnothere

My guess is that they're going to decrease their caps by 9% (they wouldn't want it to be TOO notible), while either raising their maximum overage limit to $75 to $100 (like B$ell's $80 limit) or take a page from Videotron and Cogeco and have a $50 limit on their slower tiers and no limit on their faster ones.

EDIT: And obviously a price increase.
EDIT2: Whoops, forgot Cogeco.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

I've already been in contact with a bunch of people over this, and as one of them stated:
They've
"done an extremely clever job of
a) trivializing the Commission's testing
and
b) making this whole exercise sound like it was a problem for a mere handful of, ahem, gamers."

Personally, I'm still in shock...

The bottom line if it wasn't "for a bunch of gamers" the messed up throttling would still be on. At the very least you acomplished one thing and that was to make Rogers get rid of throttling.

Besides they're spending all their money on a charter challenge for the right to lie in advertising.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to grunze510

said by grunze510:

....or take a page from Videotron and Cogeco and have a $50 limit on their slower tiers and no limit on their faster ones....

Slight fix

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

said by Davesnothere:

said by grunze510:

....or take a page from Videotron and Cogeco and have a $50 limit on their slower tiers and no limit on their faster ones....

Slight fix

Wow. Massive brainfart. It was my intention to include Cogeco.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by grunze510:

Wow. Massive brainfart. It was my intention to include Cogeco.

My Cogeco connection started to make a whining sound as it displayed your post.

(as if THEY need more attention THIS week)

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to andyb

Perhaps Rogers isn't as bad as Bell after all?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by mlerner:

*snorts* Uh huh.. Bull.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

UH-OH !

Philosophers amongst us !

Quick, get the pitchforks !

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to mlerner

More of a follow the leader.When,not if bell puts throttling back on rogers will eventually follow.Same as bell followed rogers with caps and they follow each other on price hikes all in the name of "to better align ourselves with the competition"

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

They're equally bad, and just follow each other footsteps...

Thats why none is a leader, they're just followers.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

More of a follow the leader.When,not if bell puts throttling back on rogers will eventually follow.Same as bell followed rogers with caps and they follow each other on price hikes all in the name of "to better align ourselves with the competition"

NO Andy, come on, you should know better, it's "Competitive Symmetry"
--

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
reply to andyb

So this is good news for TPIA since there was concern about the moves to aggregate POI's being subject to throttling. Win for non-Rogers customers on cable as well.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to andyb

It's about time now my business account does not look so bad at 82 plus soon 84 a month. Now lets hope rogers does not give business accounts a cap. I hope I'm in the first group of march but knowing my luck I'll be in the dec group.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

I've never had an issue with rogers. They were always were upfront about the BS they did. I mean bell out right lied about the throttle when they first started to do it and said they don't do it. Rogers also has CS in Canada where bell tries to outsource everything.

Cable prices are not to bad if you're willing to say I'll cancel to them. Rogers is out to make money plain and simple can't blame them for that one. The real issue is the sorry ass state of the internet in Canada as a whole.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to TOPDAWG

Interesting that Rogers says there are file sharing ports where there is no standard for it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

said by mlerner:

I've never had an issue with rogers. They were always were upfront about the BS they did. I mean bell out right lied about the throttle when they first started to do it and said they don't do it. Rogers also has CS in Canada where bell tries to outsource everything.

For now, won't belong before they'll be outsourcing to Mumbai , in the name of shareholder responsibility of course.

Cable prices are not to bad if you're willing to say I'll cancel to them. Rogers is out to make money plain and simple can't blame them for that one. The real issue is the sorry ass state of the internet in Canada as a whole.

But you shouldn't have too, that is one of the things that irks me the most about the industry, they'll suck your C*K to retain/keep you but won't give you the time of day if you are customer.

If they call your bluff, you're screwed.
--