share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Strange sound problem.

One of my kid's had asked me to level up a toon for him, also he had been bitching about the sound of WOW, for a few months.
So I start playing his toon the other day. The sound is horrible. It doesn't even sound like WOW, just a bunch of electronic noise.

So I googled, and wasn't able to find anything along the lines of his situation. His Bother's PC s an exact copy of his, except serial numbers.
I played WOW on my other kid's pc. Works fine. So I copied the wow directory from that PC onto a USB drive. I moved over to the "broken" wow Pc. For "fun" I decided to run it from the USB drive. The sound was normal. So I deleted the wow install on the PC, and copied it from the USB drive. Now it's back to it's old broken sound.

So why would youtube video sounds be ok, and a usb version of wow be ok. But a hard drive install of wow not ok? unless the hard drive has a bad sector and it was just by chance the copied version fell into the same area as the old version.
Guess I should run a hard drive check.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
Or run the WoW repair tool in your WoW folder.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Snakeoil
Check the audio settings inside wow, you can select sound priority and bit-rate in there.
--
Here's the final bullet,
to put our love to death.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to mettachain
said by mettachain:

Or run the WoW repair tool in your WoW folder.

This has always autocorrected sound issues for myself in the past....give it a shot.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to mettachain
I tried that it, it reported no issues found.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to JB
I tried adjusting them, but no luck. I even used the settings from the other PC. It's kinda strange.

But why would the USB version work fine, but then when copied over to the hard drive not work fine?
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Snakeoil
very odd, run a chkdsk and let us know...

hankhill11

join:2007-07-30
Brookfield, WI
reply to Snakeoil
it is odd that it works from the USB drive.. the next thing i would try would be to re install the sound driver on the affected computer, and try to find and delete any temp files you can... although i dont think WOW puts any files outside of its own folder.

be sure when you copy your version form the flash drive to the computer that you delete your previous copy and dont 'merge' the folders if you have that option (win vista? or win 7)

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I did, that..
I mean deleted the old wow folder before copying the "new" wow folder.
I was thinking drivers, but stopped when I thought about how the 2 PCs are the same machine [they are]. But I'll do that when he gives me the PC again.

It is a puzzle. I'll try later to take a short video of it, if I can find my camera.
--

arcy

join:2003-05-09
Santa Clarita, CA
Hey Snake,
I just had a sound issue with my comp/Warcraft recently too.
Mine was low output after installing a teamspeak client.All other programs work fine but warcraft had very low sound output through speakers.Headset was fine just audio output on speaker jack was borked.
The fix was using the new 64 bit package for warcraft (on the main site,small zipped download) once you have it in place open launcher and go to game preferences and look at sound channels slider,mine was turned off as a default.Once i turned up the slider all was well again! And the game loads very fast now.
Of course this will probably not work if you have windoze 7 as 32bit

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
The PC is running Vista 32 bit.