uniqs
share rss forum feed

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to Tracer6

Re: [TV] Downgrade to Analogue

Are any US cable-co's removing NTSC channels from their service offerings at this point?

I had an analog cell phone (was part of a package I had at $Dayjob) and a few years ago when Rogers turned off their analog cellular service, I did not accept any of their offers for a digital phone and I let the service expire. I rarely used it anyways. If they do the same thing with cable TV, that's when I cut the cord and put up a real TV antenna tower.

I was already experimenting with OTA here in London last summer, and in the evenings I was consistently pulling in stations from 80 to 150 miles away - with a medium-sized yagi and no pre-amp (tropo was phenomenal last July / August). I'm going to get serious with an OTA antenna this summer and my neighbors are really interested in tapping into my antenna output and cancelling their cable TV service.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
All US TV is digital now. No Never Twice Same Color services left so nothing to remove.

Tracer6

join:2006-10-12
Bowmanville, ON
What a great idea - a shared OTA tower antenna to supply signal to nearby neighbours! All could share in the cost. We did something similar for a swimming raft at the cottage.
I visited our local Rogers store tonight. The manager said Rogers is being forced by the government to switch to digital in order to increase the flow of data in their cables. She offered to give me an extra remote control for the digital box, since folks at our house, who wish to control the family room television, find it quite handy to have two identically set remotes. When our tv set was new, I bought an extra remote. The digital box does not use the tv manufacturer's remote at all.
I appreciate the advice about getting a digital box at WalMart when on sale. I didn't know you could use a non-Rogers device (Or is it Rogers certified?). And is the Wallmart box HD, for which Rogers will charge an extra $3 per month just to let you connect to their system. The cheap Rogers digital box does not come with an infrared eye either, like the Cogeco device that I hooked up for my mother. Her remote looks better too - with a handy, yellow, mute button.

Noway

@zoominternet.net
reply to sbrook
Actually at least Armstrong in the US still has an analog lineup. No digital converters attached yet. No analog over the air left though.

news

@videotron.ca
reply to Tracer6
said by Tracer6:

What a great idea - a shared OTA tower antenna to supply signal to nearby neighbours! All could share in the cost. We did something similar for a swimming raft at the cottage.

It's called cable tv! In fact, CATV mean "Community Antenna Television".

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tele ··· levision

uncle ted

@uu.net
thats how ted roger started up his cable business, he put an antenna on the dorm of his private college and shared the signal with the dorm mates. makes u go hmm.hm

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to sbrook
> All US TV is digital now.

I'm not quite sure what your comment was aimed at. When it comes to OTA - yes, the US has gone 100% digital. But I wasn't asking about OTA.

I'm asking what US *CABLE* operators are reducing the number of NTSC channels on their CABLE PLANTS as Rogers seems to be doing.

Not that I'm disputing that Rogers is handing out custom QAM boxes that must be registered to work in order to give analog TV's access to formerly analog (NTSC) channels - but can anyone verify that in those markets that Rogers has actually *removed* said NTSC channels from their cable system?

Is any other Cable operator in Canada (Shaw, Cogeco, etc) making noises about removing NTSC channels from their cable systems?

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03
said by sm5w2:

> All US TV is digital now.

I'm not quite sure what your comment was aimed at. When it comes to OTA - yes, the US has gone 100% digital. But I wasn't asking about OTA.

I'm asking what US *CABLE* operators are reducing the number of NTSC channels on their CABLE PLANTS as Rogers seems to be doing.

Not that I'm disputing that Rogers is handing out custom QAM boxes that must be registered to work in order to give analog TV's access to formerly analog (NTSC) channels - but can anyone verify that in those markets that Rogers has actually *removed* said NTSC channels from their cable system?

Is any other Cable operator in Canada (Shaw, Cogeco, etc) making noises about removing NTSC channels from their cable systems?

There are a few US cable CO's who are actually going completely SDV I believe, such as Charter in some area's and Comcast. I got a letter stating my cable card wouldn't work anymore due to SDV to free up bandwidth.