spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

[crt/lcd] Witch HDTV Color Pixel Format should I use?

The AMD VISION Control Center is telling me that my Magnavox 47MF439B/F7 Has a setting for 4 different color Pixel Formats.
1) YCbCr 4:4:4
2) YCbCr 4:2:2
3) Limited RGB 4:4:4
4) Full RGB 4:4:4
Witch one is the right one to use???

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Found this.

In the end, I guess the best option is to try them and see which looks best to you.

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
Mister_E So I checked out that link and I read all that info and from what I understand is that if I set it to YCbCr then it will go from YCbCr then get converted to RGB then converted back to YCbCr.

In that case would you say I would want to use Full RGB 4:4:4 for every from DVDs, Blu-rays, and Games and so forth???

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to floydb1982
I presume you are not only using this setup for watching video/movies?

As a first step, try choosing Full RGB as this will send the full range of RGB (0-255) from your PC. Then see if your TV has picture settings for PC or whatnot.

Then work your way through the test images at »www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
--
My Site

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
pog my HDTV has a picture setting for PC. Yet at the same same time I want to use ITC processing. In order for ITC processing to work I have to take it off of PC and set it to HDTV.

I did some checking and found my PC monitor is also capable of Full RGB 4:4:4. So I'm thinking I should use Full RGB 4:4:4 and leave it at that.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to floydb1982
This may give you a headache....

Get out ALL the manuals that video goes through....

OTA Broadcast is YUV (let's not go further than that).

Depending on the hardware, Cable head end could be either YUV or RGB

Your Cablebox could be either YUV or RGB.. It could also be either 1980, 720, or 480.
If HDMI Let's assume it is YUV. If you are using 3 video cables, it's probably YUV. If you are using 5 video cables (OLDER UNITS ONLY) it's prbably RGBHV.

In General: you want to transcode between YUV & RGB as few times as possible...

In General: you want to UP, DOWN, or CROSS Convert as few times as possible....

Notice how we haven't said YUV or RGB yet...

Now, assuming that Broadcast Can be either 1080i or 720P, and.... Cable Box (Via it's setup) can be either 1080i, 720P, 480i, 480P....
And BluRay can be any of those or 1080P if you have HDMI and newer unit.....

Finally, I'll get to your question.....

With a limitation:
IF YOUR TV CAN DO 1080:

I'd set TV and Cablebox for 1080i, and feed it via HDMI.
If your TV AND BluRay supports it... Set BluRay for 1080P.
This should be YUV but I'll be it's 422.
If your DVR Records SD and HD, Set this for NATIVE (Plays back mode recorded) IF your TV Up-converts better than the DVR does.
If DVR Up-converts better than TV, set DVR for 1080i.

Now the Limitation: If your TV is native 720P....
Set everything for 720P..

This way you transcode and Up/Dn/Cross Convert the least amount of times...

The more you Up/Dn/Cross Convert OR Transcode.... the more artifacts you will induce into the video...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
Jan Janowski all I'm doing is running the HDTV to my computer on the HDMI as a display mointor in 1080p As well as my PC monitor in 1080p as well.

I do in fact have a Philips Blu-ray disc player below my Magnavox HDTV. I have yet to turn it on. I'm using the LG Blu-ray disc player that's in my desktop to watch Blu-ray movies to view on both displays.

I don't watch cable or use a cable top box. I don't watch 1080i/720p over the air broadcast.

Both my LG Monitor and my Magnavox HDTV can do:
720x480i
852x480p
1280x720p
1366x768p
1920x1080i
1920x1080p

BUt my Magnavox HDTV has 4 different type color pixel formats to use:
1) YCbCr 4:4:4
2) YCbCr 4:2:2
3) Limited RGB 4:4:4
4) Full RGB 4:4:4

I don't know which is the right color pixel format to use.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
said by floydb1982:

I don't know which is the right color pixel format to use.

At the end of the day, whichever one looks best to you.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to floydb1982
Well if all parts of the path support 444 of YUV or RGB, you'll get better color depth on 444 than 422. On coax, 444 usually takes 2 coaxes--one with 422, and other with 022. I personally have not tried 444 of any format on HDMI, so it might squeeze 444 onto one cable.... I just don't know...

Of the two, YUV and RGB.... YUV has a wider color replication triangle than does RGB....

So, YUV 444 would seem to be the winner, based on theory.

However, if RGB processing has been done to the product you are displaying anywhere in the production process, that limits the color-space to RGB, even if delivered in YUV.

I'm not trying to make this complicated.... It is complicated by it's nature prior to me trying to describe it..... !
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to floydb1982
And after all of that, you are back to the first reply.

As with most anything, test and see what works or what looks/sounds best to you. There often isn't a wrong answer, unless it's not working at all. And even if/when there is a "best" case answer, it often doesn't apply to all hardware. The only way to know for sure is to test.
--
Google is your Friend