spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Curious
@embarqhsd.net

Curious

Anon

Hard Drive Cloning and Inspection

I've never cloned a HDD for this purpose, what are the chances of finding anything useful? Any comments greatly appreciated.

I know a guy that's a PI. He asked me for some help on a case. The client thinks the spouse is not being faithful. They want to clone the hard in the Spouses PC to see if they can find any evidence. Other than images that may be stored there, are they likely to find anything that is actually useful?

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

Kramer

Mod

I don't mean to be rude, but if you are asking this question, you are probably not the right person for the job.

You know, there are forensic labs out there who employ people trained in the skills necessary to do this properly. They are also well versed in the law. I've seen their report summaries in newspaper articles and they are very thorough. You really need to watch your back here, because you could end up in jail. I did talk to an attorney about this once (a divorce attorney I do some work for) and I can't be sure of anything that was said in detail, but it has something to do with how the computer is used. If both husband and wife regularly access the computer it is one thing, but if they each have their own computer it is another. Of course each state may be different as well.

That said (without really answering your question), I am uncomfortable in letting this thread become a "how do I spy on my spouse?" tutorial, so there is going to be no further discussion of this in this forum.