Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to alamarco

Re: [Baseball]Official 2012 Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Must have been an independent farm team. I would like to have more info on the farm.

What I got out of the state of the franchise that there were a few season tickets holders that are quite pissed off about the Jays but were pretty much quieted down by the other holders who seemed to be giving AA kudos' especially since they were showing "3" fingers as the amount of playoffs they'll make in the next 5 years.

I say they were smoking something before doing that.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

alamarco
Premium
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON

Yeah, I would of loved to have gotten more information. I figured the media would look into that by reporting the 5 players who the Rangers signed, where exactly the farm team was located, the success/failure of the farm team, etc.

I forgot about that. That's really the only other thing that came out of the state of the franchise. Beaston, whether on purpose or not, really put pressure on both AA and Farrell. Not only that, but the fans who watched might now have unreasonable expectations which could work against them.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Maybe Alex and John need so pressure.

I have now also heard of some talk about putting grass in the stadium. That would be really nice. Much depends on whether or not the Argo's use the stadium past 2012. Unfortunately, grass fields don't work to well with other rentals, so Rogers Centre would become a "baseball" only stadium. That's the way it should be. Apparently the Jays were after some guys, but it seems there are a lot of players not willing to play on artificial turf, even if they were to only DH. I was under the impression that the stuff they were using was pretty soft. I seem to recall when I was on it it didn't feel all that bad, not compared to the garbage they used at exhibition stadium which basically was green carpet over cement.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

alamarco
Premium
Windsor, ON

Yeah, I think they mentioned Beltran was one of the players who didn't want to play on the turf. It would be nice to get the grass, but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. While the Blue Jays seem like they want it, it's hard to convince the owners when they are lining their pockets with other events that would have to stop with the installation of glass.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to J E F F

Jays win exhibition opener 7-1 over the Pirates.

Lawrie had 2 doubles (4 RBI) and Thames had a HR.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

For you who have not followed, the Jays picked up win number 22 yesterday against Boston..a new club record for pre-season, beating 1989's 21 win total. (that was the year the Jays debuted at SkyDome, they also fired Williams that year, Gaston ran the show afterwards, they Jays were impressive after Williams was fired, going 71-37 -- they also made the playoffs, edging out Baltimore the final weekend...going on to lose against Oakland if my memory serves me correctly.

There is a very slight correlation between pre-season wins and regular season wins...sadly, it's 'very little' and not 'a lot'. Still, it shows this team has a lot of depth, which is good if anyone gets injured.
--

alamarco
Premium
Windsor, ON

So far so good for the Blue Jays during this Spring. Can't complain, although I don't put too much stock into it. It definitely has me excited, but I know they won't be this hot during the season. It's a long season with many ups and downs.

If the Blue Jays can contend for a wild card birth that will be a good step in the right direction.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by alamarco:

If the Blue Jays can contend for a wild card birth that will be a good step in the right direction.

That would be really good...I will need to buy more tickets for September, either way, it will be fun, but if the Jays are contenders, the place will be packed...get tickets now.

2 weeks...then the first game I go to this year...
--

alamarco
Premium
Windsor, ON

I'm more anxious for the start. I helped a friend build his fantasy baseball team as we discussed strategies and what not. Then I see that Seattle and Oakland have started their seasons in Japan yet everyone else is still in Spring training. It really sucks knowing the season has started, yet it really hasn't.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

For you who have not followed, the Jays picked up win number 22 yesterday against Boston..a new club record for pre-season, beating 1989's 21 win total. (that was the year the Jays debuted at SkyDome, they also fired Williams that year, Gaston ran the show afterwards, they Jays were impressive after Williams was fired, going 71-37 -- they also made the playoffs, edging out Baltimore the final weekend...going on to lose against Oakland if my memory serves me correctly.

There is a very slight correlation between pre-season wins and regular season wins...sadly, it's 'very little' and not 'a lot'. Still, it shows this team has a lot of depth, which is good if anyone gets injured.

Consider that year that at the point that Jimy was fired they were 12-24...that they came from 12 games under 500 to win the division...in that day and age, is nothing short of remarkable...yes, there were the easy wins of the day, the Cleveland Indians to beat up on, the Tigers when they were bad that year (wow, 103 losses)...Imagine if the Yanks finished 74-87 in today's day and age, someone would be shot...it happenned in 1989...

But to come back and finish 16 games over, was quite a year...

So, I'm excited, I think the Jays will be there, I have Boston pegged at 84 wins...I hope that Tampa doesn't give us fits and we can finally slay them, much like when we had to take down Milwaukee back in the day...they owned us practically, we had to beat them to get over the hump and if we do well against the Rays, we'll do fine against everyone else I'm sure of it.

Here's to hoping!!