spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

frenchfrost

@comcast.net

[HomeSecurity] Comcast service notice in browser

I have been getting this big notice in my browser (see below) and there is NOT option to just close it. I either have the option to click on a link that says "how to I know this is from comcast?" and or "go to constant guard center." I have done full scans with three different antivirus programs (Esetsmartinstaller, Superantispyware and Symantec and the banner is still there in my browser, preventing me to do much online. I've called Comcast who transferred me to Constant Guard who then redirected me back to Comcast. No one knows what is going on. Can anyone help?

COMCAST SERVICE NOTICE
Your immediate attention is required. Constant Guard™ identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a "Bot". We strongly recommend that you visit the Comcast Constant Guard Center for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s).

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

1 edit
even though the ISP is comcast I think the folks in the security forum may provide more help
»Security

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to frenchfrost
frenchfrost, the best help on this site for removing malicious software is actually »Security Cleanup

If you read the instructions and do what they tell you to do for posting in that forum, you'll get some experienced help there.

I can't move this thread there, however, as it is mandatory you gather the info they need and put it in your topic there or they can't do much for you.

Instructions:
»Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance

»***Just a Reminder*** - What is SCU?

»Security Cleanup FAQ »How to post for assistance

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to frenchfrost
I found one post similar to yours in the »Security forum mentioned by tshirt See Profile. In case that helps, here is the link.

»Comcast Constant Guard notice

It looks like he got the attention of the Comcast support staff that provides assistance here in an official capacity.

See his topic in this forum ---> »Constant Guard Security Notice

--

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to frenchfrost
said by frenchfrost :

I have been getting this big notice in my browser (see below) and there is NOT option to just close it. I either have the option to click on a link that says "how to I know this is from comcast?" and or "go to constant guard center." I have done full scans with three different antivirus programs (Esetsmartinstaller, Superantispyware and Symantec and the banner is still there in my browser, preventing me to do much online. I've called Comcast who transferred me to Constant Guard who then redirected me back to Comcast. No one knows what is going on. Can anyone help?

COMCAST SERVICE NOTICE
Your immediate attention is required. Constant Guard™ identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a "Bot". We strongly recommend that you visit the Comcast Constant Guard Center for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s).

Have you logged in with your account to acknowledge the notice (sounds like you are on the most severe level)? It'd be helpful if you registered here so we could PM.
--
JL
Comcast

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to frenchfrost
frenchfrost, you can register for a free account here. If I were in your situation I would be grateful for getting the attention of jlivingood See Profile. He is among the excellent Comcast representatives who support Comcast customers in an official capacity on this site and he knows that of which he speaks.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to frenchfrost
More info about Comcast authorized support on this site:

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »Comcast Employees Authorized to Represent Comcast on BBR

»Comcast Direct

You do need a BBR login account to access the Private Message (PM) system and/or the secure direct forum.
--

frenchfrost

join:2012-02-04

1 recommendation

Thanks for the replies! I just registered. I chatted online this afternoon with comcast and they said they're going to try to fix it in 24 hours. They initially thought I had signed up for Comcast Constant Guard to be getting that notice, but I did not.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Welcome to BBR, glad you are getting help from Comcast. Please come back and let us know what happens for the benefit of others who may run into this.
--

obckilroy

join:2011-11-16
reply to frenchfrost
1. Did you download the norton security suite from comcast? That might have constant guard bundled with it

2. Have you tried »xfinity.com/bothelp

frenchfrost

reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by frenchfrost :

COMCAST SERVICE NOTICE

Have you logged in with your account to acknowledge the notice (sounds like you are on the most severe level)? It'd be helpful if you registered here so we could PM.

I will try to log in to my account (I don't think I ever registered for one online so I might have to just call Comcast). Thanks!

frenchfrost

reply to frenchfrost
Well, the banner has gone away, but this has happened before where it goes away then comes back a week later. I am hoping Comcast will be able to fix it. When the notice comes on, it's on every PC in my house as well as my mobile device when I go online.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by frenchfrost:

Well, the banner has gone away, but this has happened before where it goes away then comes back a week later. I am hoping Comcast will be able to fix it. When the notice comes on, it's on every PC in my house as well as my mobile device when I go online.

That is the way that notification service is supposed to work, it is designed to get your attention (plus depending on exactly what triggered the alert, Comcast has no way to know which device on your LAN was the triggering device).

Since you have already run malware scans and did not find anything, it is possible that something other than malware activity is triggering the alert messages. I think one thing that can trigger it is if Comcast sees SMTP traffic on a residential connection that exceeds an arbitrarily chosen volume and does not go through a Comcast SMTP server. Do any devices on your LAN send email directly (or perhaps use a "foreign" SMTP server) instead of relaying through a Comcast SMTP server?
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

frenchfrost

reply to frenchfrost
Well, a week later, I am STILL getting these bot alert messages from Comcast in my browser (at least this time, I am able to move them aside, lol). I have been back and forth with Comcast techs on this and they keep sending me to sites to download Constant Guard or Norton. I already have Symantec (which I believe is from Norton) so I uninstalled that, but I am still not able to get rid of the messages from my browser. Can anyone help??? THanks!

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by frenchfrost:

Well, a week later, I am STILL getting these bot alert messages from Comcast in my browser (at least this time, I am able to move them aside, lol). I have been back and forth with Comcast techs on this and they keep sending me to sites to download Constant Guard or Norton. I already have Symantec (which I believe is from Norton) so I uninstalled that, but I am still not able to get rid of the messages from my browser. Can anyone help??? THanks!

It is not clear from your post exactly what you uninstalled, but since the alert messages are coming from Comcast, you will likely need to install the Comcast branded Norton/Constant Guard package before you will get any cooperation from Comcast to help you diagnose the reason for the alerts (and it will probably be an uphill battle with their CSRs even then).

Have you tried using the »Comcast Direct forum on this site? I think that was what jlivingood See Profile was indirectly suggesting in an earlier post. Doing that will bypass having to interact with the poorly trained tier one CSRs, and it might be your best chance of getting Comcast to tell you exactly what they think is going on with your connection.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

frenchfrost

said by NetFixer:

said by frenchfrost:

It is not clear from your post exactly what you uninstalled, but since the alert messages are coming from Comcast, you will likely need to install the Comcast branded Norton/Constant Guard package before you will get any cooperation from Comcast to help you diagnose the reason for the alerts (and it will probably be an uphill battle with their CSRs even then).

Have you tried using the »Comcast Direct forum on this site? I think that was what jlivingood See Profile was indirectly suggesting in an earlier post. Doing that will bypass having to interact with the poorly trained tier one CSRs, and it might be your best chance of getting Comcast to tell you exactly what they think is going on with your connection.

Thanks for the tip! I just posted in that forum.
Expand your moderator at work

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to frenchfrost

Re: [HomeSecurity] Comcast service notice in browser

Here's another tool to try out for more info, which just entered beta testing (so it may not work reliably and we're seeking feedback): »amibotted.comcast.net
--
JL
Comcast