Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Signals] Comcast still can't figure out what is going on

Click for full size
Messy Pedistal
I had yet another Comcast tech out to my house (for dropped CDV/internet and tiling on the TV) and he could see on his handheld that there had been 15 modem resets in the last 59 days and that the upstream SNRs were off. Yet he plugs his meter in (like they all do) and he said the signal is fine, no ingress. He said that he could see ingress on the headend side so he is going refer the issue to a line tech as it is an outside plant issue. I am wondering if any has any ideas about any issues whatsoever that could be causing the modem to drop connections and the TiVos to Pixelate. This is the mess of wires that the technician encountered when he was here. Some of the wires have been decommissioned as the U/G drops (including mine) have been replaced. I took this picture when the tech was here so don't think I broke into the box (the lock on it is broken, and not by me) and you can see his meter in the picture.

I am wondering if any of the connected cables could be ones that have since been replaced, and they are leading to a dead end, meaning the old cable is still connected. (which would be a huge ingress issue.

I did look at the terminators while he had it open and I noticed a few were loose so he got his terminator tool and tightened them.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

tv pixelating is a downstream issue....completely unrelated to ingress on the upstream....

and i doubt the old drops are still hooked up...most times there is just enough ports on the tap for customers.....

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Are your neighbors that are connected to this pedestal having the same problems as you? Are you the only one connected to it?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Streetlight:

Are your neighbors that are connected to this pedestal having the same problems as you? Are you the only one connected to it?

I have had on previous truck rolls where a neighbor would come out and say that they are having trouble as well.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Streetlight:

I have had on previous truck rolls where a neighbor would come out and say that they are having trouble as well.

Seems to me the problem is upstream from where your coax plugs into the pedestal. Pretty obvious. This probably requires a different kind of tech than visits your residence to scope out the problem.