uniqs
share rss forum feed

trebacz
Premium
join:2003-01-03
Mchenry, IL

1 recommendation

Best Buy Comcast xFinity eMTA DOCSIS 3.0 Modem Unboxing

I recently purchased and installed the EMTA Arris 722 DOCSIS 3.0 voice modem that Comcast is selling through Best Buy for $149 in my area (McHenry, Illinois). I wanted to avoid the monthly $7 charge in my area. I took some unboxing pictures and posted it on my blog. I always find it helpful to know what your really going to get in the kit.

Feel free to check out the post with all the pictures and details here:

»blog.trebacz.com/2012/01/comcast···ris.html

Hopefully, it helps you make the decision if this is the way you want to go. For me -I hate paying rental fees for equipment that shold last a long time.

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA

1 edit

Very nice looking package - I currently rent the exact same modem from Comcast. When the guy came over to install it, the packaging looked totally different and did not say "Xfinity" on it. I may very well go for this to avoid the monthly fee...but then if it ever breaks I will have to buy a new one.

The only reason I prefer to rent it out is because of the reason I mentioned above, but also because I prefer to go directly through Comcast for peace of mind that my exact eMTA model works the way it should with my service.

But it looks like that one was made for "Xfinity". Thanks for posting, I may change my mind in the future and decide to own rather than rent.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

If you buy it with a credit card like Amex that doubles the manufacturer's warrenty, then you'll be covered for failure through the breakeven period.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to voipnpots

said by voipnpots:

Very nice looking package - I currently rent the exact same modem from Comcast. When the guy came over to install it, the packaging looked totally different and did not say "Xfinity" on it.

But it looks like that one was made for "Xfinity". Thanks for posting, I may change my mind in the future and decide to own rather than rent.

its packaging....there no "made for xfinity" its still comcast...its still cable....they dont waste money on packaging for technicians because the only place that packaging goes is in the dumpster.....
--
I'm better than you!

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to voipnpots

In my case, if they ever offer them here (Best Buy locations locally do not offer eMTAs for sale; further the closest BB to me - Waldorf, MD- straddles two counties; while both are Comcast, they have wildly different channel maps, though they actually use the same equipment otherwise), it would also replace an ARRIS eMTA (though it won't replace my cable modem - that's a WBM-760A (also ARRIS); though it's leased, unless a D3 modem that is available for purchase can match it performance-wise, it's going nowhere).

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to trebacz

Now, lets see how badly they mess up your billing!!

From the blog, it's hard to say if they had someone come over to install it, or you did the swap yourself? If you did it yourself, lets see if you have any issues trying to return the original. Definitely get a receipt.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
reply to trebacz

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to get one shortly then. The BB just a few miles from me is authorized to sell them.

trebacz
Premium
join:2003-01-03
Mchenry, IL
reply to andyross

said by andyross:

From the blog, it's hard to say if they had someone come over to install it, or you did the swap yourself? If you did it yourself, lets see if you have any issues trying to return the original.

Sorry it wasn't clear in the blog post. The initial install was with their equipment (rental modem).

I did the swap to the purchased modem - no technician visit. I did it about 5 days after the install. I have returned it to their office and seen my bill. Comcast only charged for a couple days I had the rental -and don't appear to have messed up my bill. It's complicated, but not messed up. Looking forward to simpler bills moving forward.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to trebacz

Hopefully other companies such as Motorola and Netgear will start making similar devices so there's some competition to bring the price down.
--
»One of the VERY BEST sites to download youtube videos

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to trebacz

I have two modems, one I own, the other is theirs for digital voice. In my market Comcast does not charge a monthly fee for the voice modem, only internet. In this case it makes no sense to buy an emta device.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 edit
reply to trebacz

When I bought my EMTA, it required a tech install (in Springfield, MA) but they did it for free. Saves me $7 per month. It replaced a Comcast Dory modem which I gave back to the tech (who was subcontracted).

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

said by voipnpots:

Very nice looking package - I currently rent the exact same modem from Comcast. When the guy came over to install it, the packaging looked totally different and did not say "Xfinity" on it.

its packaging....there no "made for xfinity" its still comcast...its still cable....they dont waste money on packaging for technicians because the only place that packaging goes is in the dumpster.....

I don't know how many times I've had techs leave packaging and other debris behind. I was cleaning up my TV stand and found some cut off fittings from when the tech replaced some bad fittings. Also I destroy the packaging before I dispose of it because I don't want people going through trash/recycle bins knowing I have fancy electronics as that is inviting a break-in.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.