Search similar:

uniqs

qaz2012
@mountaincable.net

qaz2012

Anon

[ON] Shaw Hamilton want to remove unlimited bandwith

Hi,
I am, or better, I was a customer of MountainCable in Hamilton.

My package include/d phone and internet (7m down / 0.5m up /unlimited bandwith )

After the acquisition of Shaw, I received calls from Shaw, two or three, for Upgrade the package. My answer : NO Thanks.

In July of 2011 my phone received at least 12 calls from a 3rd party company, who said Shaw Hamilton gave them the job to change modem.
When I asked why, I received 12 different answers, like : "Shaw will change the frequencies (???)" or "your modem warranty is expired" etc.
When I asked specific question about my contract they always said : "We don't know" , so I said again : NO Thanks, until you know.

I called Shaw Hamilton and they never gave me any explanation about my unlimited bandwidth, so I asked to talk with the manager but the manager was always "busy".

FF in January (»www.thespec.com/news/bus ··· ustomers), people received letters Friday explaining that they had to update their accounts and make choices about their plans and features for cable, internet and phone following Shaw’s acquisition of Mountain Cable in July 2009. All this for remove the unlimited bandwidth and put caps.

In this letter was something look like they will drop the PacketCable for switch to a Voip system (so need a tech to setup an ATA device and with this change maybe the contact? ), but Shaw still say nothing.

Lots of people received another letter, whom inform them : Your contact is expired on Jan 31.Pls call us to change your contract, still the CSR never gonna tell you anything about your unlimited bandwidth

Yesterday (Feb 03) I received another call (more like an ultimatum)from the 3rd part company,and she told me I have until Feb 15, of course no info provided about the bandwidth.

So my questions are :

1) Shaw Hamilton can force me to change my contract with the excuse I was with MountainCable?

2) They insist to change the modem (Arris DOCSIS 2.0 modem/PacketCable 1.0) and to install an ATA (they never said the word ATA, they called always "adapter"). With this change, I accept the new contact?

3) If I refuse to receive the tech for the ATA and/or modem,(I think they don't need change the modem, is just an excuse) maybe the phone will go down, but they can shutdown the modem line with some lame excuse? You know if the law allow them to do that?

Any suggestion?
Thanks for your time

quantumfluxx3
join:2009-01-11

quantumfluxx3

I can't really answer your question about whether or not they will take you off your current contract, but I suspect it has to do with the switchover to the Shaw billing system that is supposed to take place on February 5th. Maybe it has to do with the old grandfathered plans simply not having an input option on the national shaw billing system.

Just out of interest, how much bandwidth do you consume every month? The basic packages on Shaw provide a generous amount with 3x the speed, 300GB/month. I know you might think that sounds bad in comparison to your current unlimited, but considering the alternatives are slow dsl with the same 300gb cap at higher price with Bell/Teksavvy. Shaw really is the most reasonable canadian ISP in terms of caps, I personally am thankful that they even give us the rates and speeds for internet that are really in competition with Telus in the west.

someshawguy
@shawcable.net

someshawguy to qaz2012

Anon

to qaz2012
if you are feeling gutsy, do nothing.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to qaz2012

to qaz2012
You could play chicken just to see what they'll do. I would say most likely they would either turn off your service or automatically move you to the the most similar plan they offer.

I don't think you'll be able to keep your unlimited plan as its something Shaw doesn't offer (unless you want to pay 119/month for one).
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to qaz2012

to qaz2012
said by qaz2012 :

Hi,

2) They insist to change the modem (Arris DOCSIS 2.0 modem/PacketCable 1.0) and to install an ATA (they never said the word ATA, they called always "adapter"). With this change, I accept the new contact?

3) If I refuse to receive the tech for the ATA and/or modem,(I think they don't need change the modem, is just an excuse) maybe the phone will go down, but they can shutdown the modem line with some lame excuse? You know if the law allow them to do that?

Hi:

#2 - Good news, Shaw also uses Arris DOCSIS 2.0 modems. They'll probably just switch you to their approved model.

Shaw uses a modem or modem with eRouter (modem/router combo) for internet, and an Arris modem with eMTA (same thing you have) for their phone service. All packet cable systems technically use Voice over Internet Protocol to my knowledge, but VoIP does not mean the internet is involved. No ATA will be installed as the Arris modems contain an eMTA.

#3. If they turn down the Mountain Cable CMTS (I'm assuming) and turn up their CMTS and you haven't allowed them to provision you a new modem on their system then one would assume you would be without service.

#1. Not a lawyer - this would depend if you really have a contract, or a service agreement, and the wording of the service agreement. It may allow this.

As I am not a Lawyer I will not speak to any legal ramifications.

I suggest you PM ShawSean and ask him to have a Hamilton rep call you to discuss. As Shaw is migrating Mountain Cable into their systems I'm sure they'll want to keep you as a customer and Sean can get someone to take care of you.

qaz2012
@mountaincable.net

qaz2012

Anon

Thank you for your suggestions :
@quantumflux
I can understand the change of billing , but why so much lies? Just tell what's is going on is what distinguish a good company from a bad one (yea I know there are a lot of bad ones)

For the bandwidth : depends , some days I just check the email, but some other I can say 20 Gb, anyway I against of the UBB in Canada. The UBB is a big fat lie to protect all this companies who still believe the TV have a future. The TV is old and the contents is ugly , they try to give us a nice gold pill (see Shaw EXO) but is just to spend more money , save their profits and say "we innovate all the time " : yea sure!!!

@someshawguy
I'm curious to see what the other 6500 people gonna do. I hope they will join me soon this this conversion .

@zod5000
"I don't think you'll be able to keep your unlimited plan as its something Shaw doesn't offer (unless you want to pay 119/month for one)."

Unfortunately this option is gone from the site. For be more precise:

This is what I can see on the shawhamilton.ca website

Lite speed : Up to 1m up /down 256 kb /30 Gb limit = GONE

Unlimited lite : Up to 1m up /down 256 kb /unlimited = GONE

Broadband 100 + : up 100m / down 5 /750 Gb = GONE

Broadband 100 Unlimited : up 100m / down 5 / unlimited = GONE

High Speed 7.5m : + 3 dollars

Extreme 25m = +3 dollars

Broadband 50 and 100 = same price

So shaw REMOVED the UNLIMITED PLAN (they really did a poor job, in fact the "Compare Internet Plans" showing you all the plan with the old price and if you click on broadband 100 there still two links : one for Broadband 100+ and unlimited , but they showing a "defective page" and I'm pretty sure they will call these pages "technical difficulties")

@Ravenchilde

#1 Should be nice to have this answer

#2 the 3rd party asked all the time to change modem with 12 different lies , the Shaw CSR always told me the modem is ok (and they know the Arris is an eMTA) but they need to install and "adapter" for the phone , of course I need to accept the contract and of course the word unlimited is a taboo

#3 the CMTS can be form a different manufacture but is still working with DOCSIS standards so, If I going to buy cable modem in a store and connect to the the SHAW, or Cogeco or Rogers line the CTMS will send the conf file by TFTP the modem will working fine (expect the if I contact the assistance the will refuse to assist me with a 3rd part modem), of course the company can implement some security system (like to check the serial number) just to force the customer to change the terminal

"I suggest you PM ShawSean and ask him to have a Hamilton rep call you to discuss. As Shaw is migrating Mountain Cable into their systems I'm sure they'll want to keep you as a customer and Sean can get someone to take care of you."

Thanks for the tip but I prefer to have an open discussion without PM and all this story is because the company isn't clear about the whole situation so is also to help other people for the same problem

Pls continue your send suggestions
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

said by qaz2012 :

@Ravenchilde

#1 Should be nice to have this answer

#2 the 3rd party asked all the time to change modem with 12 different lies , the Shaw CSR always told me the modem is ok (and they know the Arris is an eMTA) but they need to install and "adapter" for the phone , of course I need to accept the contract and of course the word unlimited is a taboo

#3 the CMTS can be form a different manufacture but is still working with DOCSIS standards so, If I going to buy cable modem in a store and connect to the the SHAW, or Cogeco or Rogers line the CTMS will send the conf file by TFTP the modem will working fine (expect the if I contact the assistance the will refuse to assist me with a 3rd part modem), of course the company can implement some security system (like to check the serial number) just to force the customer to change the terminal

"I suggest you PM ShawSean and ask him to have a Hamilton rep call you to discuss. As Shaw is migrating Mountain Cable into their systems I'm sure they'll want to keep you as a customer and Sean can get someone to take care of you."

Thanks for the tip but I prefer to have an open discussion without PM and all this story is because the company isn't clear about the whole situation so is also to help other people for the same problem

Pls continue your send suggestions

Ok, back to #2: There is no 'adapter' for the phone. Just an Arris eMTA. Trust me.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to qaz2012

to qaz2012
Let me know if I can assist qaz2012, just pm me.

quantumfluxx3

quantumfluxx3 to qaz2012

to qaz2012
said by qaz2012 :

@zod5000
"I don't think you'll be able to keep your unlimited plan as its something Shaw doesn't offer (unless you want to pay 119/month for one)."

Unfortunately this option is gone from the site. For be more precise:

This is what I can see on the shawhamilton.ca website

Lite speed : Up to 1m up /down 256 kb /30 Gb limit = GONE

Unlimited lite : Up to 1m up /down 256 kb /unlimited = GONE

Broadband 100 + : up 100m / down 5 /750 Gb = GONE

Broadband 100 Unlimited : up 100m / down 5 / unlimited = GONE

High Speed 7.5m : + 3 dollars

Extreme 25m = +3 dollars

Broadband 50 and 100 = same price

So shaw REMOVED the UNLIMITED PLAN (they really did a poor job, in fact the "Compare Internet Plans" showing you all the plan with the old price and if you click on broadband 100 there still two links : one for Broadband 100+ and unlimited , but they showing a "defective page" and I'm pretty sure they will call these pages "technical difficulties")

Well, I checked the site and I too see that the unlimited packages aren't being listed, however I don't think that necessarily means that the unlimited options are gone entirely. If you look at the very top of the page listing the internet packages, it says "When you subscribe to one of our Broadband packages, you will be opting into the Bump-Up Program. Click here to learn more". Clicking the link shows how the bump up works to the new plan, up to unlimited.

What I think is happening with the site, is they are preparing to list their ultimate tier, which the website itself boasts about coming soon, the 250Mbit plan. Most likely, they decided that it wasn't a good use of site real estate to list every single package tier, so they changed it so that it shows only the base tier.

I mean of course I could be wrong, but I don't think its likely that they will have segregated us by offering different plans from Shaw proper, right after transferring over to the Shaw billing system.

As for UBB in Canada, I too would prefer it not to be there, however if you've ever dealt with Bell you will see that the UBB Shaw is implementing is at least reasonable, they give you large caps on the main speed tiers, and the caps almost double for a mere ten dollars extra, before becoming unlimited. If UBB has to exist, and lets face it its not something that is ever going to go away in the short term, this to me is the most reasonable implementation of UBB that I've seen. Just my opinion of course, but consider that my household is a bandwidth hog, we have 3 PS3's 2 Xbox 360's and 4 HDTV's that each have some form of connection to the internet to stream Netflix, and I still come in under my 500GB cap every month, well under, about 300GB on average is what this house uses. Now if Shaw lowers caps down the road, then I'll take issue and threaten to cancel. But realistically, it would be a really hard choice, there simply is no other possible provider giving 250Mbit speeds for around $100. Bell charges $100 just for 25Mbit and 75GB+120GB cap.

I'll stick with Shaw for as long as they continue to be reasonable.

qaz2012
@mountaincable.net

qaz2012 to ravenchilde

Anon

to ravenchilde
So , like I always though , Shaw using the Arris always for the phone and internet until 25 mb. If a customer want the phone and more bandwidth (50,100) , he need to have two modem , the arris only for the phone and the other for internet

Tnx Ravenchilde
qaz2012

qaz2012 to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
ShawSean Thank you for you offer, I really like that, but if don't mind I would have your help in an open chat, this for help me and also the 6500 customers with the same problem.

Tell me if sound reasonable for you

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

Your english is hard to understand, please forgive us if we misunderstand what you want. But what yoh want is occurring already here and several social media venues.

qaz2012
@futureshop.ca

qaz2012

Anon

@pkarlos_76
Did you read the first part of my first post?

To be clear : I would like to understand what Shaw Hamilton want to do with people like me with a Mountaincable's contact and other techinical question
qaz2012

qaz2012 to pkarlos_76

Anon

to pkarlos_76
"But what yoh want is occurring already here and several social media venues."

So you know already why Shaw hamilton called so many times for change a modem I don't need or why they want install and adapter (???) nobody know about it?

If you know pls tell me

quantumfluxx3

quantumfluxx3

Honestly, I think you and the other grandfathered people are just sort of going to have to accept the new plans.

Now that we are part of the Shaw billing system, we have to play by the Shaw rules, and the Shaw rules simply do not have a 7Mbit/512kbit unlimited option. It's not in their system. And they are not going to add that option to their network because then they would have to offer it to all the OTHER Shaw customers who are in western Canada. You are asking them to fit a square block into a round hole. It just isn't going to fit. They kept it "business as usual" for 2 years after they bought out Mountain Cable. At this point it might be safe to say that the people who are having issue with this switchover in Hamilton are the minority, since you are the only one posting here, and the mountain cable forum is silent. All I'm saying is it sucks yeah, but I don't think this is going to end in your favor. Try and find the silver lining.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde to qaz2012

to qaz2012
said by qaz2012 :

So , like I always though , Shaw using the Arris always for the phone and internet until 25 mb. If a customer want the phone and more bandwidth (50,100) , he need to have two modem , the arris only for the phone and the other for internet

Tnx Ravenchilde

No. Shaw runs a seperate phone network. So you'll get the Arris Touchstone modem for phone, and a second (Cisco/SMC/Motorola) modem or combo unit for internet.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde to qaz2012

to qaz2012
said by qaz2012 :

"But what yoh want is occurring already here and several social media venues."

So you know already why Shaw hamilton called so many times for change a modem I don't need or why they want install and adapter (???) nobody know about it?

If you know pls tell me

Answer:

- If you want Shaw's internet on their CMTS, you'll have to switch to using one of their modems, not mountain cable's. It's how they do things.

- If you want Shaw's phone, they'll need to come install one of their 'digital phone terminals'. This is usually an Arris Touchstone modem, it is for phone only. It connects to a separate CMTS system on seperate channels from internet.

If you don't switch your Arris modem for Shaw's two modems for your services, you won't have service. This is why they are trying to contact you to change.

Those are the technical reasons for you being called.