spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser

[Internet] Is Bell doing anything at 9 - 10 PM everynight?

I am wondering if Bell has something running on their end at this time.

Cause around 9PM (usually 9:20) my dsl link will flicker and I will loose sync for around 30 to 45 min. This happens every night around this time.

With the provided Modem Sagemcom, I will be completely disconnected for this time, it will not sync at all till after the 30 to 45 min has passed.

If i'm on my Zoom modem, I will not lose sync right away, I will lose the ability to browse the net, and it if happens often enough I will lose sync. I can browse inbetween the dsl flickering.

My linksys when bridged to the zoom tells me this when I lose sync.

Received LCP Termination-Request
Sending LCP Termination-Ack

On the Sagemcom direct connected the stats don't say much except

Jan 1 22:12:03 PPP [581]: Exit.
Jan 1 22:12:58 PPP [581]: ppp1 started
Jan 1 22:13:05 PPP [581]: Connecting: ppp1
Jan 1 22:13:08 PPP [581]: Connection terminated.

it does that for 30 to 45 min.

I am on Fibe 16

here are the line stats I got from the Zoom

This information reflects the current status of your DSL connection.

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 797
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 19455

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 7.8 13.3
Attenuation (dB): 17.5 13.0
Output Power (dBm): 12.3 14.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 22776 1058
Rate (Kbps): 19455 797
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 75 16
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 242 24
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 3
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.3989 0.9901
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 4874 202
D (interleaver depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0 0

Super Frames: 9127 9189
Super Frame Errors: 4 0
RS Words: 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A

HEC Errors: 4 0
OCD Errors: 1 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 6769570 3103729221
Data Cells: 0 261617587
Bit Errors: 0 118726

Total ES: 3 89
Total SES: 0 84
Total UAS: 60 29915

I noticed my SNR margin is a bit low, but it should still be fine.

All other time of the day my connection is rock solid and i'm getting my advertised speed, no noticible slow downs.

I'm getting tried of this, so i'm prob going to rehook up the Sagemcom and call Bell next week and see what they say.
Calmuser

Calmuser

so it disconnected again tonight. so I rehooked up the Sagemcom and gave Bell a call. Saying something might be wrong with line. And going to come out tomorrow to test. (hopefully)

Funny thing is when I re-hooked up the sagemcom the power light started flashing red, the Tech people told me to power cycle the modem. But after looking at the manual it seems the blinking red power light means a FW update in progress for the modem. So I hope it didn't mess up when they told me to power down! when the manual says don't during a FW update!

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin to Calmuser

Premium Member

to Calmuser
Indeed, the power LED flashes red during a firmware update. If you disconnected during the update, then disconnect again and let the modem update. Check which version of firmware you have in "About Connection Hub" at 192.168.2.1. You should have the FAST2864_v6637J following the update.
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

said by Martin:

Indeed, the power LED flashes red during a firmware update. If you disconnected during the update, then disconnect again and let the modem update. Check which version of firmware you have in "About Connection Hub" at 192.168.2.1. You should have the FAST2864_v6637J following the update.

Yes that's the FW it says now.

Do you happen to know what this FW fixes?

Martin
Premium Member
Blainville, QC

Martin to Calmuser

Premium Member

to Calmuser
Mainly fixed the problem with WIFI.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to Calmuser

to Calmuser
said by Calmuser:

said by Martin:

Yes that's the FW it says now.

Do you happen to know what this FW fixes?

I don't know if J is the lastest firmware... but the last firmware was supposed to fix wireless G problems.
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

I don't really care about wireless on the Sagemcom since I don't use the Wireless on it. But nice to know it would work better if I did!

It also seems this new FW turned off logging!

I cleared my logs last night to get a clear view of what happens overnight, but I have no logs at all! it didn't log anything.
Calmuser

Calmuser

interesting, the Bell tech came and tested my line. He didn't find any problems.

He did say he noticed a short and followed it, but then it disappeared. Unless its only shorting out between 9 - 10!

He said he never heard of this problem before either.

He also replaced my Sagemcom with a another annoying 2wire. He also claimed he never saw a Sagemcom before, and no idea about the modem.

oh well, lets see if I get disconnect again tonight with the 2wire.

He let me keep the Sagemcom for now, but i'm guessing Bell will want it back if the 2wire fixes it?

If it does, I hope a get a refund for the rental fee, since the Sagemcom is a 1 time $99 charge and the 2wire is a 1 time $75 charge.

Martin
Premium Member
Blainville, QC

Martin to Calmuser

Premium Member

to Calmuser
The Sagemcom is much better than the 2wire.
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

maybe so, but it this 2wire fixes my prob and lets me make coffee without a disconnection, its better for me!
Calmuser

Calmuser

anyways, it seems this 2wire has fixed my problem for now. But when I plugged in the Zoom it appeared to also fix my problem, but only for 2 weeks. So going to let this go for 2 weeks, then see what to do about the Sagemcom.

Still do not like 2wire too much, slows my network down like it did before when I had it! But if it fixes my daily disconnections...

Also my line stats seem better on the 2wire (my 2wire still has the old FW that lets you see line stats still)
Calmuser

Calmuser

ugh this 2wire is annoying! wayyy too laggy..

anyways, it seeming to do what my zoom first appeared to do when I first hooked it up. Losing sync a few times at 9 - 10pm and not completely going down and losing PPOE. My zoom when like that for about 2 weeks before not be able to handle the massive losing syncs and started losing PPOE as well.

My stats are not too goodl from the 2wire

Statistics
Collected for 2 days 20:57:27
Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event
ATM Cell Header Errors: 17933 6513 163 0:00:17
ATM Loss of Cell Delineation: 2061 596 12 0:00:17
DSL Link Retrains: 12 3 0 1:47:59
DSL Training Errors: 13 3 0 1:47:37
DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 20 5 0 1:47:59
DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 21 5 0 1:47:59
DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 21 5 0 1:47:59
DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 6226 2411 53 0:00:17
DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 462 157 0 1:47:59
DSL Corrected Blocks: 0 0 0 0:00:00
DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 32846 12262 274 0:00:17
Bell Sympatico Connection Establishment: 2 2 2 0:04:55

DSL Loss of Signal Failures is what happens in the 9 - 10 period.

Also since getting this 2wire, it done this a few times during the day too. Never done that before, with the other modems.

Also my Neighbour also on Bell, but only on Fibe 6, said he has had no problems.

I don't know, the tech said he found no line probs, I don't know where to go from here.
Calmuser

Calmuser

so no one has any idea what this could be?

this 2wire seems to be making my connection worse, its now randomly disconnecting sometimes during the day.

posting in the direct forum seems useless now, since they started ignoring my posts!
kovy7

kovy7 to Calmuser

to Calmuser
Why don't use just get a tech sent to your house?
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

if you read what I wrote before. You would of read, I ALREADY DID!

he found nothing wrong with my lines.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Calmuser:

if you read what I wrote before. You would of read, I ALREADY DID!

he found nothing wrong with my lines.

Then get another one... maybe the last one was not competent... I've seen customer geting 5-6 techs... so don't be surprise.

You obviously have lots of errors that are uncorrected.
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

was planning on calling again.

But I thought I would ask if anyone had any opinions of what it might be.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Calmuser:

was planning on calling again.

But I thought I would ask if anyone had any opinions of what it might be.

Well just by looking at the stats you posted... sounds like something with the line.

Do you have a pots splitter installed by the last tech?
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

I had a pots splitter installed all the time.

the last tech, checked the pots splitter and said it was fine.

He also said, he had no idea why I was losing connections. Since his line checker thing said my line was fine.
kovy7

kovy7 to Calmuser

to Calmuser
I guess next time he will have to change the pair outside.
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

Well I called again.

I got 2nd level support for line probs.

They said they have detected no disconnections on their end!

there going to monitor my line for a few days.

still got disconnected again last night as well.

Also looks like direct support was going to answer my question after all, but I beat them to it in calling!
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to kovy7

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

Then get another one... maybe the last one was not competent... I've seen customer geting 5-6 techs... so don't be surprise.

It can be intermittent problems too... like my phone line: gets "staticky" several hours after heavy rain but clears up by the time techs come so they find nothing wrong. At least it isn't affecting my DSL, which suggests that whatever the problem on my line may be, it is most likely somewhere beyond the DSLAM.

Intermittent problems that vanish before they can be identified and located are often a nightmare even for the most brilliant minds.
crazy80s
join:2012-02-11
Scarborough, ON

crazy80s to Calmuser

to Calmuser
said by Calmuser:

Well I called again.

I got 2nd level support for line probs.

They said they have detected no disconnections on their end!

there going to monitor my line for a few days.

still got disconnected again last night as well.

Hopefully they send someone to your house. I agree, it might take several techs to get to the root of the problem. Last year I had major disconnection problems with a 5 month old 2Wire. Three different phone support reps tested my line by remote and said everything was fine. Eventually they sent a tech to my house and tested my indoor wiring(good) and gave me a new modem(why?). The disconnections continued. Finally, another tech came and confirmed my phone line was terrible....full of static. He changed some wiring outside the house and then installed a POTS splitter in the basement. Voila! Fixed. Be persistent.
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

1 edit

Calmuser

After doing a little more thinking about what the Bell tech said.

About something causing interference at just that time. I noticed my father will turn on 2 lights upstairs about the time my internet loses sync, 1 upstairs and the other an outside light.

So to test this theory I turned on the 2 lights, and POOF there goes my internet sync.

Will have to test in the morning too, to see if its just a night thing or not.

Going to have to find some one to test and maybe re-wire some things I think.

Edit:

Looks like its just the big florescent light upstairs. the light outside makes no difference, other then making the disconnect happen sooner then just the big fluorescent alone.
Calmuser

Calmuser

okay is it the light upstairs or not?

when I tested it, I lost sync. But then a few days later I tested it again, and the light made no difference!

anyone have any clues? or should I try to demand another tech visit?

I lost sync a couple times during the day with no lights on. And 1 time late at night with ZERO lights on in the house!

That was with the 2wire, I've re-hooked up the Sagemcom and testing the lights again with that.

polio
@rogers.com

polio to Martin

Anon

to Martin
He is on adsl2+ Profile

Not Vdsl
Calmuser
Calmuser
Canada

Calmuser

yes i'm on ADSL2.

Now with the Sagemcom, I am not getting disconnected at night. Been leaving the light off just in case, but in testing the light didn't make it disconnect on demand anymore.

Should try leaving them on again and see if that makes a difference as well.

Now I seem to get disconnected in the morning, about the time my father turns on the microwave!!! course when I use the microwave at other times during the day NOTHING!!

this really is weird.

might have to switch back to the 2wire, at least on the 2wire I don't get a complete disconnect with a New IP and ppop session.

asiseeit
@rogers.com

asiseeit

Anon

obviously at this point the father is the problem call bell and ask for a replacement