spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JohnnyBob
join:2006-03-23
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

How do we find internet usage?

Like I've done many times in the past, I went to this link but it says I don't have DSL. Of course I do! So how do I get my monthly internet usage stats?

»www.att.com/olam/loginAc ··· rget=BBU
Internet Usage Login
View your current and previous month(s) data usage now by logging in.
Current High Speed Internet Data Usage Details
Note: You do not have DSL Internet service on this account, so there is no usage to measure.
JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob

I talked to one of their chat persons and turns out I was using the wrong username & password. Even using the right one, I still don't get the info. So how can they legally charge for this when they don't provide that info to customer? Time for a complaint to the Illinois Commerce Commission?

Current High Speed Internet Data Usage Details

Note: Your usage is not yet available for display. You should not be concerned about your usage for billing purposes. AT&T will keep you informed about your data usage via email.

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage.

USGP550: We are sorry, but we are unable to display your Internet usage at this time.Please try again later.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

I've never been able to view any current data usage info
Below is a picture of what is shown for my data usage

I've never received any emails about my data usage
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

seeing the same thing as wayjac is on my usage, and never recevied emails on bandwidth usage so far, so not too concerned about it lately
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to JohnnyBob

Premium Member

to JohnnyBob
The message says they are NOT billing you for any usage above the 150GB monthly cap. There is no need to complain to the Illinois Commerce Commission. There is a possibility that the entire cap thing may go away for AT&T ADSL customers. The way AT&T originally wanted to measure data usage has been labeled as unfair and incomprehensible to ordinary internet users. One problem is how to deal with the overhead data that is used as addressing and routing information. That data could eat up about 20% or 30GB of the 150GB monthly cap for ADSL customers. There is debate as to whether that type of data should be counted for billing purposes. Another issue is that some cable companies, in addition to deploying DOCSIS 3.0 to deliver much faster speeds than DSL can, may increase monthly caps so much that the entire cable internet package is a better value than the 150GB AT&T DSL package is. Since AT&T cannot easily increase speeds for DSL, they might drop caps to keep customers in markets where DOCSIS 3.0 is offering much higher speeds than before.

But for now AT&T is not worried enough to measure your data usage and present it to you.

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

That seems to be their tack too - don't worry about it. That's what the chat operator told me. It's also spread all across their website, like propaganda, mind control, brain washing. Like I'm not supposed to worry about being charged cash money for something AT&T might put on my bill, now or in the future.

But that's not how I think or operate. Whenever money is involved, I want to know the exact details involved, down to the last penny, both before and after the charge is made.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

AT&T has stated that before billing for overages starts, they are going to send you notification, probably through your e-mail and billing(paper and online), and if they have your cellular/mobile number a text message/voice message. They have stated that if after the start of overage billing you do go over the monthly data cap you will get a notice that you have done so. The first time overage will not be charged, but you will have to acknowledge receiving the notice. I cannot remember the details, but I think you get 1 more month of overage without charge. You get a sterner warning stating that on the 3rd offense you will be charged. If you go over the third time they bill you for the overage.

»Exclusive: AT&T To Impose Caps, Overages [652] comments

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

1 edit

JohnnyBob

Click for full size
You sound like a dam lawyer quoting another dam lawyer. I don't give a diddley dam about what AT&T states. Who believes them anyway? I don't. Nothing they have said happens. Their credibility is zero.

I want to monitor my usage closely so I can project whether what I'm doing, or might want to do in future, will go over their cap. That's the only way. By refusing to give me that detailed info, they are intentionally keeping me in the dark - so I will be more likely to exceed the cap.

Don't worry about it? Bullsh*t! It's my money involved.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Sorry, I apologize, I misunderstood what you were looking for.

There are a few ways to approach the issue. One is to have a modem that stores usage data that you can retrieve. I am not sure, at this time, if the modems AT&T uses can do that. The next method is to have a router that has software designed to store the usage data for the WAN and maybe the LAN ports. I have a Cradlepoint MBR95 set up for monitoring the Novatel USB modem. I think some of the most recent routers from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, and Belkin have that function for the WAN port. The third method would be a software package that can be added to a computer to monitor the WAN and maybe the LAN port on the router.

A piece of software for monitoring bandwidth usage:
»www.softperfect.com/prod ··· networx/

A wireless router with internet bandwidth usage monitoring:
»www.downloads.netgear.co ··· 2011.pdf See page 103 of the manual.I have heard that for some routers you can flash the firmware with DD-WRT »www.dd-wrt.com/site/index or Tomato »www.polarcloud.com/tomato firmware and get the bandwidth monitoring.

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

No, that is *not* what I want. I want the usage stats from AT&T. That's the only ones that matter because that's what they use.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to JohnnyBob

MVM

to JohnnyBob
Did you know that the att data usage cap has been around since december 2007
lkrupp
join:2001-07-14
Collinsville, IL

lkrupp to JohnnyBob

to JohnnyBob
"Time for a complaint to the Illinois Commerce Commission?"

DSL service is not regulated by the ICC. They have no jurisdiction in this matter. You have no complaint to make. BBB yes, ICC no.

And for the record I just visited the BBU web site, logged in, and was able to view my current and past usage with no issues. Nice little graphs and everything.

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

Click for full size
What's "BBU"?

I can only get this now. I used to be able to get the usage stats from AT&T but not recently. Why? Exactly when should I try again? Date? Time?
lkrupp
Collinsville, IL

lkrupp

BBU = BroadBand Usage

I use the same link you listed in your original post. I can login and view my current and historical usage without any issues. Why you are getting that message is beyond me. Possible browser cache, cookie issue? Have you tried deleting any cookies related to the site or other troubleshooting techniques? Just a thought.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by lkrupp:

I use the same link you listed in your original post. I can login and view my current and historical usage without any issues. Why you are getting that message is beyond me

att just does not make the usage information available to all customers
lkrupp
Collinsville, IL

lkrupp

said by wayjac:

said by lkrupp:

I use the same link you listed in your original post. I can login and view my current and historical usage without any issues. Why you are getting that message is beyond me

att just does not make the usage information available to all customers

Can you provide any information or link that supports your assertion?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

How about this

Expand your moderator at work

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

Re: How do we find internet usage?

It has now been 12 days and I haven't got it even once. I used to be able to get it at least occasionally. Looks like they've pulled the plug...

We are enhancing your online experience, and myAT&T is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience...
DavidEBSmith
Premium Member
join:2005-12-23
Chicago, IL

DavidEBSmith to JohnnyBob

Premium Member

to JohnnyBob
I was getting the "you don't have DSL service" message for a while, but the BBU link is working for me right now.

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

I finally managed to get my usage info!

I had to go thru a torturous path and don't remember the details. It made a difference which username/ID and password I used. I have two sets of them causing maximum schizo re the AT&T logins. I believe the one which worked was my older username/password for the telephone account (not my email address/password).

In any case, by hook or crook, I eventually ended up here:
"Analyze Past Usage"
https://www.att.com/olam/showPastUsageForHUM.myworld?reportActionEvent=A_UMD_DSL_USAGE_HISTORY
»www.att.com/olam/showPas ··· _HISTORY

Although I couldn't find my way back thru their website maze to the same path, I could get there again after logging in by entering the above URL directly into my browser address window. I guess that's the trick for now til they change something, which they probably will.

I also had problems with their autologout for inactivity although I wasn't inactive for very long. Why do they make their website the most difficult to understand, most user-unfriendly on the internet?

[I tried to upload relevant attachments but could only get 504 Gateway Time-out]
JohnnyBob

4 edits

JohnnyBob

The Trick:
-login with AT&T telephone account username/password
-the "Personal" tab is selected at top of page
-click on the "myAT&T" tab just below it
-hover the mouse pointer over the "Internet" toolbar item
-a menu magically drops down with several sections
-click on "Usage & Recent Activity" (under "My Internet Service")
-that brings up another window below with text in a yellow background (*see graphic above)
-find and click on "Analyze Past Usage" in the text

P.S. I tried it again and it works. I suggest that those who couldn't get their usage info in the past try this method. Part of the problem is they are using non-traditional/non-intuitive javascripts (or some kind of strange new code) to drop down hidden menus. Even AT&T doesn't know how it works, I guarantee you! I asked them and nobody knew the answer.
JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob

It still works the same way except they've changed the Usage Summary screen slightly. You must still find and click on the "Analyze Past Usage" link in the text.

Is anyone else having luck with this method who previously could not get any usage info?
JohnnyBob

JohnnyBob

said by JohnnyBob:

Is anyone else having luck with this method who previously could not get any usage info?

??? Is anyone listening, or is this forum dead ???
fathamburger
join:2010-07-16
North York, ON

fathamburger

You shouldn't even have to be looking at a meter. This is frankly BS

I've written an article about the whole problem and what this will end up costing Americans down the line (like other countries) here.

»www.worldbroadbandfoundation.org···too-late

it includes a call to sign the above petition as well as announcing the beginning of a broader US cap investigation project (which we'll be building a better/specialized tool towards)
Ssayer
join:2004-10-25
Leonard, MI

Ssayer to JohnnyBob

to JohnnyBob
Tried it. Here's what I got:

USGS730: All data usage is not available for this High Speed Internet account at this time. If you do not see any usage details, you may have selected an account that does not have historical usage.

To view data usage for another High Speed Internet service, please select the account from the dropdown.

If you wish to learn more about how to manage DSL data usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage.

JohnnyBob
Mount Vernon, IL

1 edit

JohnnyBob to fathamburger

to fathamburger
said by fathamburger:

You shouldn't even have to be looking at a meter. This is frankly BS

I've written an article about the whole problem and what this will end up costing Americans down the line (like other countries) here.

»www.worldbroadbandfoundation.org···too-late

it includes a call to sign the above petition as well as announcing the beginning of a broader US cap investigation project (which we'll be building a better/specialized tool towards)

Your link is inactive and cut off in the middle for unknown reasons. You can get it to display the entire URL and avoid the internal shrinkage by putting it inside code tags.

P.S. presumably this is the intended link...
http://www.worldbroadbandfoundation.org/content/special-report-att-led-data-capping-trend-its-not-too-late