All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to Hotshotjiji

to Hotshotjiji

If it doesn't offer ADSL2 or VDSL2, I'm not interested.

You can't get ADSL2 or VDSL2 with Distributel in Ontario. For that reason alone, I'd go with Teksavvy. With regular DSL, I can stably only get 3 Mbps service from the CO.

Cable in my area with Teksavvy isn't really a consideration, because I'd be on the McNicoll POI, and TSI has been having a very hard time keeping up with demand in this region. Lots of slowdowns over the past 1.5 years. I had even installed a bunch of cable lines to my home office back in fall 2010 to switch from 3 Mbps DSL to cable, but held off because of the cable problems, and then went straight to 25/7 on VDSL2.

After having been on 25/7 VDSL2, I'd hate going back to regular DSL, even at 5ish Mbps. I think my minimum would be 10 or 12 Mbps ADSL2, with 16 Mbps preferred. (TSI doesn't offer 7 Mbps up on 12 or 16, and 7 Mbps up is great too, but not critical for my needs.)

Netflix alone tops out at about 5 Mbps, but wants a cushion above that to allow max quality. However, it's not pleasant when one person just watching an HD stream can max out your entire internet bandwidth. Having 12 Mbps down means you can simultaneously watch an HD stream and download a large file, and still have excellent surfing speeds.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Eug:

You can't get ADSL2 or VDSL2 with Distributel in Ontario. For that reason alone, I'd go with Teksavvy. With regular DSL, I can stably only get 3 Mbps service from the CO.

And that's all you'd get from Teksavvy, DSL is not like Cable, it depends on your distance from the Remote/CO, since you would be serviced from the same location no matter who your provider is, your experience would not change.