uniqs
share rss forum feed

DarkPhantom
Premium
join:2008-09-13
Warner Robins, GA

[GA] Continuous Disconnects Every 15 minutes

I have two questions.

The first problem I have is that while connected to a router and/or directly connect to the modem SB5101U it seems my internet disconnects itself every 10-15 minutes.

I really don't want to deal with a technician coming out, it means taking time off work, and dealing with somebody that will assume I am a technical idiot.

So I am thinking about either going down to the Best Buy and purchasing the SBG6580 they have in stock. So would I be able to purchase this router and have it self register ( Middle GA, Warner Robins Area )?

I currently have the Premier service, if the website actually compared the Ultimate Service to the Premier service I might consider getting it, will I notice any speed increases switching to this modem given by current service?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
Going to a 3.0 modem will give you more noticable PowerBoost speeds as well as more consistent sustained speeds particularly during periods of peak demand however it may not solve your stated issue depending on the nature of the problem. I think it would be better to find out why the connection is dropping first.

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
I called technical support. The young lady attempted to resolve my problem, and while I understand the need to ask certain things eliminate possible reasons for the disconnects ( my attempts to explain what I already did ) were basically ignored.

She indicated my modem was getting a good signal. Because the problem only surfaces after 10-15 minutes it would have been unfair to remain on the phone with her until it happen again. She seem to indicate if the problem was not solved, the only solution would be for a technician to come out, which makes no sense because there isn't a signal quality problem.

If I was assigned a modem when I signed up, will it cause me problems, if I purchase a new modem ( for what appears to be a significant performance increase ), and return the modem at a later time?

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
There's nothing wrong with changing modems if you choose to go that route. A technician coming out is often a best next step in these situations to determine if there is some unusual signal or equipment issue. If you want to PM me the modem's MAC address I can take a look at this for you.

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
It actually seems like the problem might have resolved itself. I will go ahead and send you the MAC address so you perhaps confirm it has been solved.

GoldenTiger

@cox.net
reply to DarkPhantom
I have same problem since yesterday. Each time, I rebooted the cable modem and router, I had internet connection for a short period (5, 10, 15 minutes or an hour). I called Cox Technical support twice yesterday. This morning, my internet connection dropped after 2 hours. I ran to the OfficeMax bought a new D-Link router. Same problem. Instead of power down both device, I just released and renew the WAN DHCP, I can connect to internet for about 10 minutes.

Is the problem at Motorola cable modem or at the Cox DHCP server?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to DarkPhantom
If you're getting what you're paying for, a new D3 modem isn't going to give you more than your caps, if you're not it will help with slow speeds by bonding multiple channels. if your area is extremely oversold even on D3 you're at the mercy of cox splitting nodes or lighting up more channels.

Futureproof your investment by purchasing a modem with 8 channel downstream capabilities.
D3 modems won't give you the walled garden so you'll have to endure the cox phone system.

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to GoldenTiger
The problem I thought was fixed has returned. I decided I am going to go ahead and invest in the better modem, even though it has wireless, it will serve my needs in the future better.

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
I ended up upgrading to a D3 modem.

I have not had a single disconnect after 22 minutes which is twice the length of time on the other modem. Must have either been an incompatible service update in my area or the modem's internal power supply was going bad based on the response I got from CoxTech.

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
I am once again having this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I replaced the modem and it seems to have solved the problem, but it returned in the last week, makes using my internet connection very hard.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by DarkPhantom:

I am once again having this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I replaced the modem and it seems to have solved the problem, but it returned in the last week, makes using my internet connection very hard.

Do you have a wireless telephone anywhere near the modem?

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
I do...Why would that interfere with my internet?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by DarkPhantom:

I do...Why would that interfere with my internet?

RF interference. try moving the phone away and see if that helps.

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
It never caused a problem in the past.

TwistedTree

join:2003-02-25
West Warwick, RI
It's a problem nationwide. People are reporting the same thing from several states but no one from cox seems willing to admit it.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
said by TwistedTree:

It's a problem nationwide. People are reporting the same thing from several states but no one from cox seems willing to admit it.

It's as much of a nationwide problem as cars getting flat tires. Would you blame Ford and Chevy for that?

Losing modem connection is a common symptom in alot of different issues. The most common issue is a local signal problem, not something network or nationwide.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

colecaz

join:2001-02-13
Phoenix, AZ
reply to DarkPhantom
I had the same problem and a Cox tech (NOT a contractor) came out and diagnosed it as a "noisy cable", which he replaced. Now I haven't lost connectivity for two days, so I guess it's fixed.

Now, I'm an electrical engineer and familiar with radio and RF issues and I've NEVER heard of a "noisy cable". My guess is that in troubleshooting he disconnected and reconnected a number of cables and one of them was making intermittent contact. When he reconnected it, the connection was restored to reliable and the problem went away. The cable diagnosis was "do something" IMHO.

Try disconnecting and reconnecting all the lines in your system and hope what worked for me works for you.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
The technician in your case may have not known your background and simply decided to "dumb down" the explanation. Most of our customers aren't concerned with the ugly details so long as the issue is fixed properly.

DarkPhantom
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to colecaz
I am going to attempt to purchase the best quality cord I can to see if that will help. I did notice that after I switched to a different cable last time the problem went away :$

TwistedTree

West Warwick, RI
reply to DrDrew
If people in 3 different states all lose connection and re-establish connection at the exact same times almost to the second, that's not a local problem. I was actually on my cell with a friend in Tempe AZ, and we where both saying "it's up, It's down again" in sync on the phone. We both had pings running to different sites, and we both where going offline to the second. A third friend in NY logged his down time and it matched ours. Care to explain that?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
said by TwistedTree:

If people in 3 different states all lose connection and re-establish connection at the exact same times almost to the second, that's not a local problem. I was actually on my cell with a friend in Tempe AZ, and we where both saying "it's up, It's down again" in sync on the phone. We both had pings running to different sites, and we both where going offline to the second. A third friend in NY logged his down time and it matched ours. Care to explain that?

I'm sure if AAA would release the statistics we'd frequently see that several people in the U.S. get flat tires at the same time and call for service, that doesn't make them related, even if it happens every day.

Post some modem levels, logs, trace routes, and pings showing your disconnects. I'd really like to see where your connection fails. I'd also like to see the common network path between RI, NY, and AZ.

Right now you have no evidence we can look at and wild clams that make little sense.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

The technician in your case may have not known your background and simply decided to "dumb down" the explanation. Most of our customers aren't concerned with the ugly details so long as the issue is fixed properly.

What gets me is the last one told me my "alarmclock" issue was because I had a D3 modem and D3 modems only worked properly on the ultimate service tier. they don't listen to you despite what you may or may not know.

TwistedTree

West Warwick, RI
reply to DrDrew
Already posted the logs several times, no need to post them again.
I really dont give a rats rear end what you think as you seem more interested in feeding your ego then actually helping. I have gone down several times tonight, so the new modem did not help. Now it's up to Cox to fix it, not going to waste my time here anymore. I should have known posting here was a waste of time.