·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to antdude

MVM

to antdude

Re: Is it true that Verizon stopped deploying FIOS?

Somewhat. As More Fiber stated, Verizon's only finishing up roll-outs in places where they have agreements and an incomplete network. Otherwise, no new areas for the time being are getting it. Verizon's still building out FiOS in my area, but it's taking them from what used to be a week until live to months or even over a year, now. There's spots in my area that still need wiring that are being wired slowly. Out where I am, Verizon started building FiOS, but they left the skeleton/barebones portion of the network to sit from Summer to now, with little work being performed on it from what I can tell. I'm hoping if Verizon cares about putting the barebone network to work, that we get the service available in the summer time.

They could complete the network right now if they wanted to. It's been a very mild winter so the ground is soft and wet, rather than frozen.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Smith6612:

Somewhat. As More Fiber stated, Verizon's only finishing up roll-outs in places where they have agreements and an incomplete network. Otherwise, no new areas for the time being are getting it. Verizon's still building out FiOS in my area, but it's taking them from what used to be a week until live to months or even over a year, now. There's spots in my area that still need wiring that are being wired slowly. Out where I am, Verizon started building FiOS, but they left the skeleton/barebones portion of the network to sit from Summer to now, with little work being performed on it from what I can tell. I'm hoping if Verizon cares about putting the barebone network to work, that we get the service available in the summer time.

They could complete the network right now if they wanted to. It's been a very mild winter so the ground is soft and wet, rather than frozen.

Ah, I wonder how I can check for these agreements like in my area.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Check with your local franchise authority (i.e. city cable TV commission, etc).

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to Smith6612

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

Somewhat. As More Fiber stated, Verizon's only finishing up roll-outs in places where they have agreements and an incomplete network. Otherwise, no new areas for the time being are getting it.

This is not quite true; I know of a specific area getting it installed right now; one that was not dreamed about a year ago. Suffice to say, lawyers were involved with Verizontal's decision.
urkelOs
join:2008-03-02

urkelOs

said by rtfm:

said by Smith6612:

Somewhat. As More Fiber stated, Verizon's only finishing up roll-outs in places where they have agreements and an incomplete network. Otherwise, no new areas for the time being are getting it.

This is not quite true; I know of a specific area getting it installed right now; one that was not dreamed about a year ago. Suffice to say, lawyers were involved with Verizontal's decision.

No, that does not suffice, but if you told us about Verizontal's secret deployment plans, you'd have to kill us, right? Hypothetically speaking, would you be able to discuss with those of us who hold active TS/SCIs and can demonstrate a need to know?

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm

Depends on who issued your clearance.

»youtu.be/ZIOogEaO3Hc
rtfm

1 edit

rtfm

Re: The build-out I alluded to previously....

I did not want to be specific until there was actual work underway; in fear it might jinx something...But there is now much glass in the ground and overhead, so I doubt Ma's stepchild could/would pull out now.

It's an area of Prince Georges County MD. They've suffered for years with rotten outside plant, with POTS being miserable quality at best.
quote:
I think Verizon is either not making money out of FIOS or they have some dumb political strategy to get some concessions from the government(s).
I think it's some of each [if you say enough immediate money] plus a major change in top management & thus strategy. Verizontal is raking in money on their wireless holding, and at least acts like they want to stop doing anything wireline.....well anything except giving up their monopoly franchise rights in its core markets.

But that too could change.