Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
join:2011-06-11

1 recommendation

[RANT] & [RAVE] Wal Mart tries to reject valid coupon...

So, I'm in Wal Mart... So, things suck already. But, I've got a $1 off for any Cabot Creamery product. I love their cheese, and it's not super cheap, so I'm happy to have the coupon.

Well, I was happy... That is until I get to the checkout lane and unload all my stuff. Clerk scans everything and starts to deduct the 3-4 coupons I have. They're all for $1.00 up to $2.50 off. We get to the Cabot coupon and the clerk balks. She says she has to check on it since it's a "photo-copy". Well, it's not a photo-copy, it's printed from a java applet online. But, no problem...

So, the assistant manager is right behind my clerk, checking on something else. She leaves and has to turn right back around, so she's got a 'tude from jump. That's OK with me, 'cause I've got a 'tude too.

She looks the coupon over... BTW, she looks like something you prop up in a field to scare away pests... She looks the coupon over and says, "Um, no. It doesn't say 'Manufacturer's Coupon'... Blah, blah, blah..." I say, it's printed out from the internet. It's 2012. You go online and print these out. Incredulous.

So, I'm starting to get wound up, because there is a guy and his little boy waiting patiently behind me. Also, I'm getting pissed off at what I perceive to be an insinuation that I'm somehow trying to perpetrate a fraud, over $1.

So, she says NO. I wiggle my right index finger at her little yellow smiley face badge and say, "So, you're the manger?"

She says, "Yes."

I then say, "Is there someone above you?"

Her: "Yes, another manager."

Me: "Are they here?"

Her: "Yes."

Me: "I'd like to speak with them, please."

I'm not going anywhere. I'm getting my damn dollar off if I have to stand there, right through the Superbowl.

So, she calls her Super, and after another minute, one of about 7 or 8, but feeling like 20. She tells the clerk to cancel out the item and manually enter it with a dollar off. She says to me, "And you can keep your coupon." Smarmy, ugly, ^%&##$*.

So, we're done with that. And, good thing she got it right, 'cause I was willing to get arrested. Yeah, over $1. I'm nuts.

Lastly, I had purchased beer and the original clerk needed my ID. I give it to her, and as she's handing it back to me, she notices I've got black electrical tape over the bar-code on the back. I started doing that after a thread here complaining about Target scanning Licences for no good reason. I don't allow my ID to be scanned by anyone but a LEO. The clerk is getting ready to question me about the black tape, but thinks twice after what we just went through and she decides to keep her curiosity to herself.

So, there.
--
You Can't Kill Rock 'n' Roll!

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

Well, at least you got your buck off.
--
Printed on 100% Recycled Bytes

kadar
Premium,ExMod 2001-02
join:0000-00-00

1 recommendation

reply to OZZY7

said by OZZY7:

I've got black electrical tape over the bar-code on the back.

Use deck tape. (aka skaters tape).

--
The Revolutionary War was fought over a 14% tax, what % are you paying now?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 recommendation

reply to OZZY7

Click for full size
Alot of retail workers are stupid.

I used to work at walgreens back in the day. Coupons were serious as it was reimbursed for cash from the MFG.
Accepting a fake or expired coupon meant theft or a loss for the store.

Now since the coupon does not say "do not accept prints or photocopies", it made no sense they did not accept it - especially since it was scannable.

I was at the grocery store the other day and the customer wanted to use a visa (gift card) + cash to buy another one with more value. The customer was wrong for asking the cashier if they could do that (since visa gift cards work the same as any other visa card) and the cashier was wrong for not understanding how to use a visa card and wasting 10 minutes trying to find a manager to see if they could use a visa card + cash to buy a prepaid visa card. Of course you can use any visa card + cash to buy a visa prepaid card as long as the transaction goes through.

The retail industry can be amazing sometimes.

You should call the regional manager of that walmart and explain how the cashier and manager refused to accept your coupon then the manager directed the cashier to price modify the item down $1 which means they stole from walmart.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium

Yup, that's the coupon!

I may very well do, just as you suggest. Thanks!
--

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to OZZY7

Was this the first Internet coupon ever given to that WalMart?

I mean, do you live in an Amish town or something where you are the only guy on the internet?

WalMart sees so many customers, it's nuts that they haven't seen this before!!

And why didn't they scan it??

I believe you, but it's just crazy....

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium

*Really ugly, snarky, dead wombat face* " It doesn't say, 'Manufacturers Coupon' on it." /*Really ugly, snarky, dead wombat face*
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to OZZY7

They did the same to me with a "free half gal blue bell icecream" coupon.
I wrote corporate about it with the store # and they sent me a canned apology letter with a $10 giftcard.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium

It really is crazy how jazzed I got. I mean, I was cool & all, but... My blood was pumping and my fuse was lit. Silly, I should get such a rush out of this.
--

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium

2 recommendations

Afterwords, all I could imagine is family talking to family about how I was arrested, and how it was a felony. 'They say he stabbed her 29 times!'

Other Family Member; 'What? Why did he stab her?'

"Oh, IDK... Something about cheese, and a dollar! They say it's a felony! He's looking at 3-5!

LMAO!
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to jadinolf

Yeah..... These people must be UNAWARE of these sites online where you can PRINT the coupons out!

Good for you bud

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to OZZY7

Re: [RANT] & [RAVE] Wal Mart tries to reject valid coupon...

said by OZZY7:

I'm nuts.
Lastly, I had purchased beer

I love that part.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to OZZY7

said by OZZY7:

Lastly, I had purchased beer and the original clerk needed my ID. I give it to her, and as she's handing it back to me, she notices I've got black electrical tape over the bar-code on the back. I started doing that after a thread here complaining about Target scanning Licences for no good reason. I don't allow my ID to be scanned by anyone but a LEO. The clerk is getting ready to question me about the black tape, but thinks twice after what we just went through and she decides to keep her curiosity to herself.

+1 PTU
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
google this "(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(200*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(9-x^2), -sqrt(9-x^2)"

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to r81984

quote:
A lot Alot of retail workers are stupid poorly trained.
Fixed it for you.
--
"We're your friends. We're not like the others, man, really."

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

said by Grail Knight:

quote:
A lot Alot of retail workers are stupid poorly trained.
Fixed it for you.

I guess everything is just too technical for the average person now-a-days.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

Who is the average person?

Poorly trained is simply poorly trained.
That is a corporate or management problem.

If an employee is un-trainable get rid of him/her.
--
"We're your friends. We're not like the others, man, really."

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to OZZY7

said by OZZY7:

*Really ugly, snarky, dead wombat face* " It doesn't say, 'Manufacturers Coupon' on it." /*Really ugly, snarky, dead wombat face*

If you look at the bar code, it has a [5] on the extreme left.

From what I read on the coupon sites, coupons that start with [5] or [9] are Manufacturer's Coupons by definition.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to OZZY7

Try to remember: These people are paid crap pay and can be fired for the smallest things. It isn't their fault as much as it is corporate's fault for not setting proper policy and preparing staff for online coupons. Any time I've tried to use an online coupon it was also refused wherever I went. Eventually with the advent of online coupons, that may change. Just remember, the poor workers will probably get a boatload of shit for that coupon. I've worked retail and believe me.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium

Well, I had no problem at all with the original clerk. She was polite and kind, explaining that she had gotten hassled about printed coupons in the past. So, she needed it checked. Fine.

I was not nearly as impressed with the "Manager". She was borderline rude, smarmy and snarky. I realize that being a low-level manager at Wal Mart probably isn't a dream job. I'm sure she is over-worked and under-paid. But, she's not going to endear herself to anyone in the public by treating them like merely an annoyance in her day. Especially, when she's wrong.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

at the end of the day, Walmart has the right to reject even valid coupons.

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

said by AVD:

Quite right, they do, however, when the coupon is valid they have no REASON to reject it, and the manager was obviously poorly trained and poorly treating a client for a mere dollar!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Yeah..... These people must be UNAWARE of these sites online where you can PRINT the coupons out!

Good for you bud

Dude111, they know about online but since these come out without notice, they didn't have chance to jack prices $1.50 to cover that $1.00 coupon!!1

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
reply to AVD

Re: [RANT] & [RAVE] Wal Mart tries to reject valid coupon...

said by AVD:

Fine, and I can make it so it's not remotely worth their f-in dollar.
--

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to OZZY7

You could have resolved this situation a lot easier.

WM: "This coupon isn't valid"
you: "Alright. This is $1 cheaper at {another retailer}"

walmart price match, no manager or finger-waggling involved as the clerk is authorized to make the change right then and there.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium

And where would I have pulled proof of the product being a dollar cheaper elsewhere? Out of my ass?
--
»anatheists.blogspot.com/

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to OZZY7

Not that this may have any direct relation to this particular Walmart or set of employees but there is a bit of a cottage industry in creating fraudulent coupons. The bar codes are not hard to reverse engineer and, with photoshop/etc, it's quite easy to create very believable, scannable coupons.

eg... »www.whnt.com/news/huntsvilleandm···36.story

IOW, many clerks are probably getting hassled by management over this stuff and your experience would be the result.
--
My Site

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium

Thanks pog4 See Profile! I'm sure there is plenty of fraud. And, like I said. I empathized with the clerk who management had indeed been hassling. It was her manager whom I didn't care for.

At the end of the day, I have no problem making it their problem. Wal Mart and grocery stores LOVE coupons, because more people buy more things. Stores push out their own coupons, hard copies and electronically. So, if they don't like actually taking them then they should stop, and watch their competitors get those customers.

Or, they can STFU and gimme my dollar!
--
»anatheists.blogspot.com/

psafux
Premium,VIP
reply to OZZY7

said by OZZY7:

And where would I have pulled proof of the product being a dollar cheaper elsewhere? Out of my ass?

»walmartstores.com/10563.aspx

"The following are guidelines and limitations:

•We will match any local competitor's advertised price.
•We do not require customers to have the ad with them to honor a competitor's ad.
•Items purchased must be identical to the ad (size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc.)
"

My wife & I do this every week (legitimately I might add). We check through ads and make a note on our shopping list where it is cheaper and what the price is. We separate the price match & non price match stuff on the conveyor belt and we let the clerk know the prices elsewhere. S/he keys them in directly without any intervention from a higher up. Only once have we been questioned and that was on a major price slash on a larger item. Walmart found & verified the ad themselves. All other grocery items have gone hrough without any verification. ymmv of course.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

said by psafux:

My wife & I do this every week (legitimately I might add). We check through ads and make a note on our shopping list where it is cheaper and what the price is. We separate the price match & non price match stuff on the conveyor belt and we let the clerk know the prices elsewhere. S/he keys them in directly without any intervention from a higher up. Only once have we been questioned and that was on a major price slash on a larger item. Walmart found & verified the ad themselves. All other grocery items have gone hrough without any verification. ymmv of course.

I didn't know you could do that. Thank you.
--
hey Dale

psafux
Premium,VIP

Hm, no problem. They have been advertising it all over the television too, thought it was more of a well-known thing :]

We used to go to 2 or 3 stores - walmart for the staples, and hit up store discounts elsewhere to stock up. This has made it so much easier, especially with a 3 year old in tow.