share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

[Tech] Driveshafts

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee...

Front driveshaft is a double cardan, with a center slip joint..

The slip splines and double cardan joint are wore out in this shaft. (DC doesn't hold itself up, and there is play in the slip). Is it possible to replace the slip joint, or do I have to replace the entire shaft? For reference, I had a friend who had his double cardan shaft shortened, balanced, and rebuilt (with new DC and U-joints). With labor and such, it was $190. I can buy a replacement shaft from Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts for $300. (That shaft is considered an upgrade to the factory shaft. www.4xshaft.com)

I have called a couple of driveline shops, and they all tell me that I have to buy a new shaft, which they quote anywhere from $400 up...
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

What kind of "driveline" shops are telling you to buy a shaft? The one close to me here could rebuild anything I could carry (or haul) into their shop, and sometimes while I waited. Loved em!

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

One is a machine shop next to a NAPA down in Titusville. Another is a driveline shop in Daytona that uses nothing but Spicer parts.

I haven't called anyone else.

From what I see on Tom Wood's site... the slip yoke is the end of the shaft, and the spline is the cap of the tube... so the shaft would have to be cut apart and redone.
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

said by neonhomer:

From what I see on Tom Wood's site... the slip yoke is the end of the shaft, and the spline is the cap of the tube... so the shaft would have to be cut apart and redone.

That's correct. I guess I have been spoiled by the place here, they could chop one of those things up and put it back together like new. It always did impress me how deep they would go. They built the driveshaft(s) for my drag racing car, and those were virtually indestructible.