spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tonyday
join:2012-02-05
San Jose, CA

tonyday

[HD] HD on the cable but not through my box

I just purchased my first digital TV. I previously had an old analog CRT TV.

I have the Comcast Digital Starter Package (includes Standard Cable, Limited On Demand, Digital Converter and remote). The "digital converter" is a Motorola DCH70 "Standard-Definition All-Digital Cable Receiver".

I find that if I plug the new TV directly into the cable, I get a bunch of stations in HD with superb picture. However, if I plug it into the DCH70 all I get is "standard definition" - good but not excellent picture. I called and asked if I could get an HD box. She said "Yes, for only $10 a month more".

I want the box to get On Demand. That's all. I don't think that's worth an extra $10.

My question is: Is there any way I can have my cake and... in other words. can I get On Demand AND HD without paying $10 a month more?

oneoone
join:2010-01-20
North Hollywood, CA

oneoone

No, without a set top box you cannot access comcast's ondemand library.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to tonyday

to tonyday
said by tonyday:

. . .
My question is: Is there any way I can have my cake and... in other words. can I get On Demand AND HD without paying $10 a month more?

To get On Demand, you need a digital STB.

You can split the cable line to get the HD channels you see when you hook up the TV directly to the cable.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

To split the signal from the cable, and continue to receive those "ClearQAM" HD channels directly to your new digital TV, you can follow the instructions on this webpage, provided for SD-only Digital Transport Adapters (DTAs):

Connect a digital adapter to an HDTV:
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· to-hdtv/

However, at some future time, Comcast may start encrypting even the local, basic channels in your area, and no longer provide them in ClearQAM: »[Content] Say goodbye to ClearQAM
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by telcodad:

To split the signal from the cable, and continue to receive those "ClearQAM" HD channels directly to your new digital TV, you can follow the instructions on this webpage, provided for SD-only Digital Transport Adapters (DTAs):

If he's got a DCH70, a better (higher quality) way would be to simply:
- put a 2-way split on the line; one leg directly to the TV, other to the DCH70
- run a (composite) A/V cable from the DCH70 to an A/V input on the TV

Now, all he has to do is switch inputs w/the TV remote; NO need for the A/B switch & having to get up to flip it.

However, at some future time, Comcast may start encrypting even the local, basic channels in your area, and no longer provide them in ClearQAM: »[Content] Say goodbye to ClearQAM

Yep, so all of this will (most likely) be a moot point...