davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to JohnnyBob

Premium Member

to JohnnyBob

Re: How do we find internet usage?

AT&T has stated that before billing for overages starts, they are going to send you notification, probably through your e-mail and billing(paper and online), and if they have your cellular/mobile number a text message/voice message. They have stated that if after the start of overage billing you do go over the monthly data cap you will get a notice that you have done so. The first time overage will not be charged, but you will have to acknowledge receiving the notice. I cannot remember the details, but I think you get 1 more month of overage without charge. You get a sterner warning stating that on the 3rd offense you will be charged. If you go over the third time they bill you for the overage.

»Exclusive: AT&T To Impose Caps, Overages [652] comments

JohnnyBob
join:2006-03-23
Mount Vernon, IL

1 edit

JohnnyBob

Click for full size
You sound like a dam lawyer quoting another dam lawyer. I don't give a diddley dam about what AT&T states. Who believes them anyway? I don't. Nothing they have said happens. Their credibility is zero.

I want to monitor my usage closely so I can project whether what I'm doing, or might want to do in future, will go over their cap. That's the only way. By refusing to give me that detailed info, they are intentionally keeping me in the dark - so I will be more likely to exceed the cap.

Don't worry about it? Bullsh*t! It's my money involved.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Sorry, I apologize, I misunderstood what you were looking for.

There are a few ways to approach the issue. One is to have a modem that stores usage data that you can retrieve. I am not sure, at this time, if the modems AT&T uses can do that. The next method is to have a router that has software designed to store the usage data for the WAN and maybe the LAN ports. I have a Cradlepoint MBR95 set up for monitoring the Novatel USB modem. I think some of the most recent routers from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, and Belkin have that function for the WAN port. The third method would be a software package that can be added to a computer to monitor the WAN and maybe the LAN port on the router.

A piece of software for monitoring bandwidth usage:
»www.softperfect.com/prod ··· networx/

A wireless router with internet bandwidth usage monitoring:
»www.downloads.netgear.co ··· 2011.pdf See page 103 of the manual.I have heard that for some routers you can flash the firmware with DD-WRT »www.dd-wrt.com/site/index or Tomato »www.polarcloud.com/tomato firmware and get the bandwidth monitoring.

JohnnyBob
join:2006-03-23
Mount Vernon, IL

JohnnyBob

No, that is *not* what I want. I want the usage stats from AT&T. That's the only ones that matter because that's what they use.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to JohnnyBob

MVM

to JohnnyBob
Did you know that the att data usage cap has been around since december 2007